Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to…

7,144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      40 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the comments and votes. We’re looking into what could be done here. To be transparent, so far our findings are that the infra to do this right for the long term is actually a very large intricate work item. So I cannot say when we could actually delivery this capability. Our current focus with custom visuals is to continue filling in the existing features into our stable APIs so that custom visuals are fully compatible version on version. This itself is vital work in the custom visuals area both for our custom visual authors/developers and for users who depend on the visuals day in and day out. Appreciate your using Power BI, keep the suggestions coming! We read every comment you make, even if we’re not able to respond to every single one.

• Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

6,543 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        62 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Y’all,

As Will mentioned, we have started work on new improvements to our table and matrix visuals. If you would like to help us prioritize some of the work we want to do, you can take this quick survey: http://www.instant.ly/s/x5whA Of course we are still reading all the comments on here as well.

Including Will’s last update here as well since everything is still relevant:
        _____

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the vocal support for this idea! Firstly, some great and exciting news: we’ve begun work on adding more PivotTable-like functionality to our matrix & table. You’ll see conditional highlighting in matrices, selection & cross filtering, expand/collapse and more coming over the next few releases.

This Idea’s got a lot of comments for different things so I’d like to split it up to try and get a better idea of exactly what will help the most people:
        - Fredrik’s…

• Measure Dependency View (similar to the Query Dependency View)

The newly introduced Query Dependency view is phenomenal but what we really need is a Measure Dependency view. Here is what it might look like: http://ppvt.pro/2eXKndh
        And a video detailing this idea: https://youtu.be/sYjBB_Ef66M

In one of my production models I have 60 Queries, but I have 200+ measures! I believe that is typical; usually I build Queries and Measures as lego blocks, combining simpler ones into more complex ones needed in the end. In fact I needed it so badle that I attempted to build a Measure Dependency view using NodeXL. While that works, it's a lot of heavy lifting.…

618 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          22 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • javascript

Fix the dataSelected event to also provide **values** array retrieving data from an embedded powerBI report. Ref.: [https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Handling-Events] @ 2) ***values** array (In Progress)

273 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            36 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Dynamic date slicer

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
            YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

462 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              9 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ability to create display folders in Power BI Workspaces

As Power BI becomes more widely used, the number of dashboards and reports in my workspace (and the group workspaces I'm a part of) are rapidly increasing. Within any workspace, it's overwhelming and confusing to navigate between reports and dashboards due to the sheer volume of items.

Please add an ability to create display folders in the Power BI service. Ideally these folders could contain reports, dashboards, and datasets - they would not be asset-specific. This would allow me to group content by subject areas or clients, rather than by content type. Within any given display folder, the content can…

373 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Dynamic Parameters for What if analysis

Can we have dynamic parameters for what if analysis? i.e. parameters that we can adjust on the fly without refreshing the entire data model, which in turn is used in calculating measures?

As an example, while analyzing sales data, if we have a parameter for Discount, we can specify a discount value in this parameter and see the impact on other calculated measures using this parameter.

It would also be great if we had the ability of making such parameters visible on the report page (text box, drop downs, etc.) so that users can change the parameter values in report…

251 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  5 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Power Query functions in URL using a web data source under on-premise data gateway

Add the ability to use Power Query functions in the source string not only for the PowerBI Desktop, but also to on-premise data gate
                  Now It's not supported to type Power Query functions as web URL when we create a web data source under on-premise data gateway

549 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    8 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Greater control over the scale and division of axes, especially values less than 1.

Greater control over the scale and division of axes. The MAJORITY of our data is frequency related where we have to display values in scientific notation from the range of 10-9 up to 10-2. Display of numbers greater than 1 creates automatic minor division on the y axis; but if below value of 1, the minor lines on the y axis do not display and there is no control over this. Same applied for x axis. Similar comments have been posted over greater control of the axes values and arrangement, but I have not seen one about small number values.

142 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      8 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Use Power BI Desktop as a Local Server on a PC

It is possible to open Power BI Desktop, detect the port number, open Excel, connect to the running local instance of Power BI Desktop as a local SSAS instance and then build a pivot table over the local server. You can do this using DAX Studio.

This is very useful and as more people build Power BI Desktop files as the main data model, this will become more important. There is an "Analyze in Excel" feature in the Power BI Service and I would like to see the same for Power BI Desktop.

As a suggested approach to a solution,…

167 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Disable share buttons

Option to disable the share buttons (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook and share itself) in the embed code. I am using the embed code to post the report in a sharepoint page with in the company by this would prevent a public sharing.

286 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          25 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • KPI Icon sets for use in table and matrix visualizations

Many of the Power BI Community have come from a background of using Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel. Excel had a fantastic way of using built-in conditional KPI icon functionality to add impact and information to table and matrix visualizations. The red-yellow-green circle icon set is valuable as an easy-to-interpret indicator of whether something is on track (or not) against defined goals.

This functionality is glaringly absent from the Power BI Desktop. There was a previous request for tis that has been marked as “completed”, but it’s still missing.

148 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add "Using Locale" Option to new Data Type Menu Buttons in the Query Editor header row

New Data Type Buttons in the header row of the Query Editor are just great!

Please, please, please add "Using Locale" at the bottom of the menu as it is in the traditional shortcut menu. Outside US we usually need "Using Locale" most of the time.

107 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add hour, quarter of the hour and minute to the date hierarchy

The title really says it all, and there are some similar suggestions.
                              But to be specific, Power BI should really be able to support hour, quarter of the hour, and even minutes in the already existing Date Hierarchy (Year, Quarter, Month, Day). Of course, Week of the year should be an available option as well.

112 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Date Format Problem with Streaming Data Set

Having a pbi streaming data set (with history) with a column of type datetime (filled by a stream analytics output). Power BI Portal Language is set to "German". But display in pbi report table is still in format: mm/dd/yyyy. What I need is: dd/mm/yyyy. I don't see any possiblity get the desired date format based on a streaming dataset? (Content in the colum of the datetime looks like: "2016-12-05T16:27:27.926Z")

To be able to set a locale in a Report or Dashboard like in SSRS would be handy but any other solution to the described problem is very welcome!

82 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Custom Territory for Power BI Map.

It should be possible to create a custom territory in Power BI. Not every Organization uses Continent, Country, State & Province or County for Mapping. Some Organizations want to create customer sales territories which is hugely valuable in getting granular into your Data.

Currently this feature is available in Tableau.
                                  http://powertoolsfortableau.com/tools/drawing-tool

This will also eliminate the use of Location Intelligence software as a counterpart when analyzing data.

262 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    8 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Custom Visuals Enabled every time Power BI Desktop launches

The idea would be that Custom Visuals can be downloaded to a local desktop "library". Then, each time you launch Power BI, all Custom Visuals would be available along with the Default Visuals. Having to import the Custom Visual each time you create a new .PBIX file is a pain!

332 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Disable Export data function in Power BI Embeded

Currently Export data can be disabled from the service but not from Power BI Embeded. We want to keep our data from being able to exported by others and see Power BI Embeded as our prefered roll out solution but the lack of ability to turn off the export feature means that we are not currently able to use Embeded for this purpose. Ideally we need a way to control export data at a visual level but at minimum control at a dashboard / report level. This is a high priority feature for us to be able to complet our…

105 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        7 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Conditional formatted measures using SWITCH

A current limitation in Power BI SWITCH measures (and all Power Pivot actually) is that a SWITCH measure must have a single format. It is currently not possible to conditionally format the measure result based on any criteria - it is one single format only. There are valid use cases where you may want to change the format of the SWITCH measure depending on the result. Consider the following SWITCH statement
                                        myMeasure = SUMX(MeasureTable,switch([selected measure],
                                        1,[Total Sales],
                                        2,[Total Cost],
                                        3,[Total Margin],
                                        4,[Chg Sales vs LY %]
                                        ))
                                        The first 3 results are all currency format, but the last result is…

552 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          14 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow copy and paste between different PBIX's

Often we need to expand on an idea from one report further and copy and paste visuals/pages from one PBIX to another. This would be a huge productivity and quality benefit.

1,569 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            24 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 278 279
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.