Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power BI Lite License

Power BI should have a Lite License for people that only consume dashboards or reports every now and then. This is for people that don't create reports but need to see the dashboards and may need to use the "report level" to be able to export output to PowerPoint (since you can't export the dashboard to PowerPoint but can only do it at Report level).

4,193 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

102 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Breakdown or Weighted Tree

I was wondering one of a very important visuals missing from Power BI gallery is Breakdown or dependencies tree,
      this will help us to design a good view and give us more room for other visuals to add in our dashboard.

470 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Power BI Premium needs lower pricing tiers

You've made a odd choice for the name but oh well.

Power BI Premium is a great idea but lower specs to hit a lower price point is necessary for SME clients.

A clearer product name might have been Power BI Enterprise with standard and premium pricing tiers.

The v1 pricing for Power BI Embedded was an equivalent of charging for a sql database at a flat rate per kb of IO.

Fixed capacity for a fixed price takes away all the uncertainty and complexity of the current model.

1,126 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Conditional formatting (cell highligh, font, etc) when comparing multiple fields

PowerBI needs to have the ability to offer conditional formatting of based on the comparison of 2 or more metrics. For example if metric A = metric B then change the font and highlight color of the cell to red.
          If metric A > metric B and metric A < metric C then change the font and highlight color of the cell to green.
          This should be unlimited for how many colors can be used. Other BI tools offer this feature.
          Note that this is different than what PowerBI currently calls ‘conditional formatting’

655 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated measures against multidimensional models too.

652 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Updates to Report Server should be available more frequently

It seems unfair that Power BI desktop is updated each month with new and improved visuals but we will have to wait several months longer to have these improvements in Power BI Report Server. For example the new matrix visual is big improvement but those with Report Server will have to wait about 6 months before it is available to them. I'd like Report Server updates in parallel to Desktop updates.

141 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback on this topic! Let me address a few points here.

First, a couple of you mentioned the new Table and Matrix visuals, which became generally available in July. I know they’re just one example, but I thought I’d update you about them specifically. We previously communicated that the very next release of Power BI Report Server would support them, and the August 2017 Preview is now available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-august-2017-preview-now-available/). We’re still targeting Q4 CY 2017 for the next production-ready release.

Second, to confirm our current release and support lifecycle:
                - We plan to release Power BI Report Server “multiple times per year.”
                - Initially, we’ve planned for about 3 releases per year (in other words, on average, every 4 months).
                - We support each release for 12 months, which gives customers up to a year to upgrade to a newer version while receiving any…

• Custom Connector as a Portable Library of Functions

Currently, a custom connector requires a Data Source and a Authentication record associated to a function in order to be Published or exposed in the 'Get Data' dialog/window.
                This is perfectly fine for data sources, but if I want to create a custom connector that creates data using native M functions, like. List.Generate or List.Dates, then I shouldn't have to define a Data Source nor an Authentication which complicates things and is an unnecessary step for the end user.

Here are 2 videos showcasing 2 functions that do not need any sort of authentication, but due to the way custom…

102 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Custom Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Dynamic Date Slicer (improve relative date slicer)

This is a repost of my idea that was closed as completed, but the 'relative date slicer doesn't allow any of the described request hence my idea is not implemented....

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
                  YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

471 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The relative date slicer (a Preview feature as of June ‘17) gets us close to this with the ’This Month’ or ‘This Year’ settings. That is a dynamic date selection that updates based on the current system date. We plan to add a ‘YTD’/‘MTD’ option to specifically select a range from the start of the month/year up to today, hopefully that’ll address the remaining requirements!

• Pass filter in URL (Power BI Report Server)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the report server (as it is already possible in Power BI online)

222 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Replace workspace 'Members' type with 'Edit Members' and 'View Members'

App workspace's have an option to set members as 'Admin' and 'Member'. Replacing 'Member' with two options 'Edit Member' and 'View Member' would give flexibility with setting member permissions. Some members you want to collaborate & design with (edit), other's members to show content to and get feedback (view), in the development cycle you need both before publishing. Currently, you can only have ALL members with the ability to either edit or view.

100 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Save Power BI report to Report Server with data source other than Analysis Services

At the moment it is only possible to save a Power BI report with data source Analysis Services to the Report Server. With any other data source you get a error, that only Analysis Services is supported. Please add the possibility to save reports with other data sources to Report Server.

169 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve just released the August 2017 Preview so you can try our work in progress. With this preview, you can import data from any Power BI Desktop data source, publish your report to Report Server, and view and interact with it in your web browser.

Read all about it here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-august-2017-preview-now-available/.

We’re targeting Q4 CY 2017 for our next production-ready release.

• Create calculated columns when using SSAS live connect

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated columns in this mode as well!

432 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support dashboards in Power BI Report Server

Please add support for Power BI Dashboards to Power BI Report Server.

286 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this idea! As its name suggests, Power BI Report Server focuses on Power BI reports (the artifacts you create in Power BI Desktop). Nonetheless, we’re always interested in hearing your feedback, so if you’d like to see the Power BI service’s “dashboards” feature in Power BI Report Server, vote here. Even better, post a comment and share a little more about why. Looking forward to the discussion!

• Email subscriptions for Power BI reports in Report Server

Be able to create email subscriptions for the PBIX reports in the Report Server

146 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Python Script in Power BI

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data transformation. It would be even better if we could run Python script.

91 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Advanced Gantt Chart

The current Gantt Chart in the Custom Visuals Office Store is a step in the right direction, but unfortunately it is pretty much useless in it's current state.

Please add an Advanced Gantt Chart for proper project management (multiple projects with multiple activities).

- Add Milestones on top of the Activity Bars based on a data column (and preferably multiple types of Milestone icons)

- Ability to chose size of the bars (the ones we have now are huge)

- Ability to expand/collapse a group of Activities (preferably grouped by project or category)

- Let report viewers decide the scale…

163 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Please Bring back "Test as role" in Power BI Service

It is imperative that the ability to "Test as role" be restored within the Power BI web service.

Previously, there was a blue bar that popped up on the top of the Power BI web service that allowed you to view a dashboard or report as a different user. This could be accessed by going to Datasets > Security > Row Level Security > Test as role. This was extremely important for testing RLS security role membership and to ensure that the roles themselves were operating as expected.

Many organizations need this functionality for training, demos, and testing. Please return…

60 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ability to mark some pages as "Do not publish" in Power BI Desktop

In Power BI Desktop it should be posible, before publishing the file to the service, to mark some pages as "do not publish" or hide them for publishing. This way we can have some safe hidden place to draft new ideas or a repository of charts to copy to the pages that will actually be published.
                                      The place to put this functionality could be the contextual menu that appears when right clicking the page name (now it shows "Duplicate Page" and "Rename Page". New option could be "Do not Publish")

498 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Export Power BI Report/Dashboard as PDF

Power BI service or Power BI Desktop should allow to export the Report page (s) or dashboard to a PDF, Excel or HTML format. Which can be used to send via email or print it for any executive meetings (it is a common practice in the industry)

36 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • The Small Stuff List (The SS List)

I think we need a way to request small stuff that needs to be fixed, but will never get enough votes on their own to make it to the top of ideas.powerbi.com.

The list could then be reviewed by developers and f they agree, they can just fix the small stuff when working in the bigger stuff (assuming it is easy) or they can recommend it be promoted to an idea if it really is big stuff.

I guess there needs to be a way to categorise into areas to allow the developers to easily find their own stuff, and…

58 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 461 462
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.