What should we add to the BI capabilities in the next version of the SQL boxed product

Add Power BI to local SSRS server and not just in cloud!

Add Power BI to our local SSRS server and not just in cloud servers!

1,088 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan McCauley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this resolved with the release of Power BI Server? It's been open since 2015 (before PBIS was released), but I think this can be closed now.

• Ian Macdonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take a look at BI Office from Pyramid Analytics. Everything Power BI does plus a lot more and on premise. And Microsoft endorsed (see announcement from July this year)

• Jake Ashworth-Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This product looks absolutely amazing and I would use it for pretty much everything I do in a heartbeat....but I work with colleges and therefore can't upload students' personal data outside of a college's network....so the whole thing is completely useless!

As people have already implied: Surely the backbone of this thing, and I mean the very first, initial foundation, would logically be to provide a locally-installable server application that uses SQL Server and IIS to store and present the dashboards?

• edden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello admin,
    why Microsoft do not want reply to Microsoft fans? we want use Microsoft Power BI or new version of power view if you want name it like that! but we want new properties in our local servers!
    please reply

• Marc Solomon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the recent acquisition of Datazen surely this meets the same requirement for you? I suppose the question should be will Datazen be the onsite version of PowerBI and how much will it cost? At the moment it is only available with Enterprise licence.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This product and whole development is just pointless if it will not be part of sql server and ssrs (without sharepoint). I really dont understand who is behind this madness. Who is this new customer who will use Power Bi in cloud? High school student? Or my grandpa analyzing her expenses? Firms with 1 employee with no local IT infrastrature? Who will pay you money for this if it will not be in sql server? This should be priority number 1 or this is just nice product but totally useless.

• jerome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the could is not for everybody... specially when the company has already invest in BI infrastructure and they want to use it! (Sorry, Azure still slower than local optimized servers) or the data are too sensitive to be pushed outside the private network, or simply because the law disallow the storage of data outside the local network.
    so Microsoft MUST continue to offer on premise solutions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.