Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. For workspaces - need to have a third category for members. Need third hybrid category.

In workspaces - members can be admin or view only. need a third hybrid category, where they can create a report, based off of published reports and save it in their own workspace. I would like my members to be able to re-order columns, add and remove existing KPIs, change a bar chart to a pie, etc. But not change security or the default reports and dashboards. There is no reason they should not be able to customize and save their own view of a report though. No way for them to do this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. vimeo

Add the ability to access video site analytics like Vimeo

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Customization of visuals

Hi Power BI,

You did a great job creating an intuitive tool for easily loading data.

However, when it comes to customize the graphs there is still a lot of work to do. I would suggest you to try to embedd all the graphic customization features that you have with excel, as everyone is familiar with it.

My particular biggest obstacles are:

1) Not being able to fit all the information in the graph
    2) Not being able to select different items in the graphs to customize. For example, select the axis and just have the customize options for this. …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create connections directly with JSON APIs

Nowadays there are many systems in the SAAS clouds and the best way to access the data is by APIS configuration, but if POWER BI can consume directly with these connections the work would be perfect.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Programmatic interface for Excel's 3D Maps (formerly Power Map)

I'd REALLY love some way to automate the "data refresh" and 'export to video' or 'capture screenshot' functions in Excel's 3D maps via code. VBA, Macros, PowerShell, or something else; I'm not picky. Please provide a way to initiate these functions aside from manually opening the workbook, launching 3D maps, and pushing the button myself.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow users of a dashboard to see the filters applied to a pinned KPI when they click on it (the KPI).

Currently, users click on a KPI, which is pinned on a dashboard, and want to see the data with the same filters applied to the published KPI, but this is not possible in the current version. Instead, when users click on a the KPI they get all the data, but have to apply the filters themselves, which is a problem because the users rarely know which filters were used to obtain the pinned KPI.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. dynamic dataframe loading via R

I have an R script that generates a variable number of tables based on the underlying data. When I use R as a source to Power BI desktop, I have to manually select each table from the script that I want to import. I'd like to automatically import all tables from the script, without having to manually specify them. This would enable a dynamic connection with R script as the data source for Power BI Desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Aliasing in visuals.

It will be good if we have aliasing in the visuals. Because sometimes business name will be more understandable than a column name. If the same column is being referred in multiple places then aliasing helps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. save applied filters as segments

This is my customers requirement and also a common feature in BI. When we applied some filters on reports, that output(as applied filters) should get saved. there should be button to save current segment and a list of saved segments in every report. So that, when customer will fetch that report again, he can choose his saved segment and then data will get updated according to that applied filters. There can be many segments like this as per role and responsibility of customer for single report.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Microsoft Store for PowerBI addins

Microsoft moved the Siuals to microsoft Store. However, when searching for Candle Graph, the search brought up a product that is NOT COMPATIBLE with powerBI but only with Excel 2013

https://store.office.com/en-us/app.aspx?assetid=WA104380371&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&appredirect=false

Please fix the search to show only PowerBI compatible products when the search criteria is for PowerBI.

Mickey

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to adjust the position of Items within the Colour Legend.

If we want to give focus to a particular item with in the legend, there could be an Option for positioning items (first position) with in the legend. This will help to easily identify the priority item among others.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. live collection

Allow reports using live collections the ability to add other datasources. I could have a dataset for finance, one for operations, and merge them together using datedim.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dispaly fields in categories

In the fields view/column (right hand side of desktop)...

instead of having all fields listed in one group in alphabetical order, can you please create a sub-section with all Dimensions and another with all Columns and another with all Measures

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can we create push notifications for PowerBI reports

When data charges happens in database, customer data viewing report should auto refresh

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When adding new Calculated columns, keep the viewport scrolled to where the new column is added INSTEAD of defaulting to the far left.

I find it really annoying that when I add a new calculated column in DAX I have to scroll to find it. I also dislike that I cannot hide many columns at the same time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multiplatform gateway

It would be perfect that will enable the connection the gateway for different operating systems

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Waterfall Chart Improvement_Color Changing for Stacks

Would like the ability to change the color of the stack for each labeled group. If a waterfall chart has multiple stacks for each category.. Example: Transportation Mode Comparisons: Shuttles, LTL, TL, Parcel - would like an individual color applied for each mode vs just the capability to change colors for "sentiments" of Increase/Decrease & Total

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Visualisation Slicers Interact with each other

Currently visuals only allow you to singularly select items, for example you can't select data that is Jan-2017, then select another chart that is department meant. Both Tabuleu and Qlick have this fucntionality.
    You can just the fliters as they interact, however for large datasets they have performance issues as they have to scan through the data table

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.