Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After upgrade I got an ODBC error and cant refresh data

Error returned 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ODBC:ERROR [42000] [MySQL][ODBC 5.3 (a) Driver][mysqld-5.5.41-MariaDB] You have an error in you SQL syntax; check the manual that correspond to oto you Maria DB server version for the right syntax to use near 'SQL_DOUBLE) } < ? then 'from_number' else 'to_number' end ' at line 2. '.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Why are you making it so dificult to buy this product?

I'm a BI contractor, I'd like to learn Power BI. I'm willing to buy it. I don't have an office 365 id - why are you making it so difficult for me to buy it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I can not find a mechanism to sort categories by their associated measure values

I can not find a mechanism to sort categories by their associated measure values

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Focus mode en Power BI Desktop

Focus mode en Power BI Desktop, In the same way that Report and Dashboard in Power BI online.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Canvas

Is it possible to have a prebuild grids on the canvas rather than a blank canvas. It helps a lot to place the cahrts on a canvas in order and with the exact space one from the other.
    Datazen has this functionality which I found really helpfull.
    It would be great if you can hide or unhide this functionality, for those who still wants to position their charts manually using the Top, Bottom, Right, Left axis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve how sidebar filters work

The filters in the sidebar are very good but could be made easier to use with some minor changes.

Firstly some filters are part of the design of the report/visual. eg I don't want to see dates in the future. It shoudl be possible to flag that filter as not user editable, or indeed visible. So then the user just sees the filters that they are intended to use.

Secondly, when there are lot of filters it can be confusing to know if you are changing a visual level filter, a page level filter of a report level filter. If…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Enable greater number of appointments scheduled updates and enable editing 5 minutes of fractions within each time for appointments, instead

Today we have the standard 8 daily updates with 30-minute breaks. Could there be a greater number of updates with breaks every 5 minutes as there are databases with updates at different intervals of standards currently available for Power BI service.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Switch line chart to column chart and vice versa in Combo charts

Sometimes it is better to compare two data in line charts and use the column to use as a calculation like average over that point of time, so the average will change for each column and lines will bring two or more information that is being analysed. Example: I have two salesperson in line charts showing it sales over months and the average of sales in columns chart

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. break content pack dependency

Please allow easier moving of Datasets, Reports and Dashboards without relying on content pack dependency from original source. i.e. I want to move reports and datasets to another workspace. I want them to be a copy of existing reports and datasets but as their own unique entity that auto updates when new measures are added to the dataset without content packs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Direct Query: Multiple SQL Behind same Visual View

For a given visual, in direct query mode there should be an option to have multiple queries based on Filter Selection.
    This would be akin to SWITCH CASE algorithm in programming, to have different queries based on FILTER Defined

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix nomenclature of folders and attributes when loading Power BI SSAS Tabular data

We have the need to load data into Power BI from an SSAS Tabular model in order to capture existing calculations in the model and provide the ability to experiment with new calculations and/or relate cube data (including calculations) to data from an outside source. However- when loading data- If we want each entity to be represented in it's own folder (as we see when connecting live) we found we need to select each entity in the cube using a separate 'Get Data'/ Query. When doing so, the default name of each folder is the CubeName (or CubeName1, CubeName2...) and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create shape map polygons by clicking and dragging

Shape map is great! But, I'm not confident at creating custom JSON files. It would be great to be able to create a ploygon by clicking its corners and edit it by dragging the corner points.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. pivotstream

I want to share my power pivot on the cloud like pivot stream.

http://www.pivotstream.com/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve Configurability of Visual Studio Team Services Connector

The Visual Studio Team Services Connector connects only at the Project level. This does not scale well for organizations with many teams tracked under a single project, which is a common pattern. In our case the Connector simply fails due to too much data. At a minimum should be able to specify one or more teams to pull data for. Also would be helpful to be able to select which items types you would like to connect to for a given team (Feature, User Story, Task, Bug, etc.).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Manual Selection of Gateway for Data Source Refresh

When a user tries to schedule a data set for Excel refresh, the power bi website looks for the gateways set up with the data sources having same Excel paths. Even though it might sound convenient for the users, it creates lots of headache for administration. For example, I had machine crashed and rebuilt and the original gateway lost, or multiple gateways shows the same path in my attempt to recover.

How about we allow the user to specify one gateway specifically and do not match the gateway behind the scene to decide what gateway to show and what not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. DirectQuery run automatically every x seconds

I want to show a 'live' count of records in my database. Currently i have a directquery with count(*) which gets run when the dashboard refreshes. I want this to happen automatically every x seconds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1. Filters should be displayed under the title where the axis metric values are displayed above the legend line.

1. Filters should be displayed under the title where the axis metric values are displayed above the legend line.
    a. E.g. for a Report level Region and Segment the subtitle will read: Region: National – Segment: Standard Midsize
    b. Only 3 filter values will be displayed for each filter (Or you need to come up with some rule)
    2. Report level Filter will turn on Page and Visual level display if display is checked.
    3. Page level display will turn on the visual level display
    4. Visual level display will only affect the visualization that it address and it is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. jump to drill level

option to drill directly up or down to a level of your choice.

for example, if a axis has 7 fields that can be drilled down through and you want to drill directly to the 4th level, the ability to jump straight to that level without having to click 4 times would be helpful. Also, if you were down on level 7 but wanted to go back to level 2, you wouldn't need to click up 5 times.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Multi-Row Card wider columns

When i do narrow the window, the data become in rows, thats good, but I need that columns more wide

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.