Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Win10 Start Tile with Chart

I saw the following link for How to ping a dashboard in Win10 Start Tile.
    It looks like even you pin dashboard with graph chart, all you can see in the tile is "black" tile.
    If we can pin graph chart to tile to show them in Start tile, it will be super helpful and fantastic.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-mobile-pin-dashboard-from-win10phone-app/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. filter context group visual

IT would be great if we were able to group visuals within a container and apply a filter context to the group.

When building dashboard it is often necessary to combine visuals to get the overall 'look' you want to achieve but it's a bit finicky as they move separately and it requires the filter to be applied to each element.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Opening Launch Window

The ability to set custom launch windows. Toggle between shared, workspaces, or specific project folders based on users need.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Any Certified Custom Visuals have any additional license Cost?

There are certiifed custom visuals for the Power BI ? To use those in the reporting for commercial product, we need to pay any additional license cost?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Related power app

Is there any way to download power app desktop version without app store?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Q&A  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Multi-Level Hirarchy in Slicer Based on a Parameter

Let say I have 3 columns Category, Level and ParentCategory.
    ParentCategory shows what is the parent of the category at certain level specified in Level Colum so power bi slicer should be able to make a hierarchical slicer based on level and should be sortable to up-down or down-up based on level.
    we have one custom visual called Hierarchy Slicer but that doesn't slice base on any field like Level

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export Streaming Data Set

Ability to export streaming API data

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Possibility to enter data manually in a slicer

For example, we have a slicer with a column having the itens of one dimension (let say: category) and we have a 2nd column formatted as percentage or other format but with empty data in filed to input direct in each row one percentage bu the end user (witch in this case can be diferent as category code changes).
    Target: make simulations by changing atual data for each item in wathever dimension we want, to predict future scenarios.
    Thanks.
    José Pintoras

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Navigation Home Page to another report/tab

My Power BI report has 12 tabs, its annoying to have to use navigate to all 12 tabs. It would be nice to have a navigation page that displays themain callouts of those some of those tabs then the ability to click on a callout and navigate you to that tab. Also, some of my tab are just details of a previous tab So being able to drill to one tap to another based on particular parameters. This function is available on both Tableau and Cognos.

Ex: http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/data/sw-library/cognos/mobile/All/

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Matrix Table Selective Drill-Down

I desperately need the ability to create pivot tables similar to those in Excel. More specifically I want to be able to have two row fields where I can collapse to only show the left row field or expand to show the breakdown by the right row field.

For example, I have sales info that i break down by Segment and Geography. Lets say we have Segments (Tech, Government, and Manufacturing) and GEOs (East, Central, West). I want the ability to have Tech with a subtotal and its breakdown by East Central West, WITH Government below it Subtotaled without the…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Error when trying to Refresh All from an Excel workbook using Analyze in Excel

Users are getting 'initialization of data source failed' when refreshing a Power BI data source from Excel 2016.
    The workaround is to open Excel using 'Run As Admin' but the issue resurfaces intermittently for random users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Show Unfiltered Data in line charts to compare filtered selections

I often have need to show regional or other splits and compare them to an overall total, average, or whatever.

It would be really handy to be able to go to the Analytics pane, and select things like "Grand Average", Grand Sum, etc., to be able to show how my filtered selections (say for example on a line chart) compare with the same measure unfiltered.

Yes, I can switch back and forth using a hierarchy, but if the dimensionality of the axes changes significantly, it can be difficult to keep mental track of what happened visually. I'd like to be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Is there a way to get the power bi working with Dell/EMC Isilon NAS storage systems?

If you have a DELL Isilon system with millions of files the size is not correct shown under windows systems. So with a direct connection to such a system can a report be show with correct data in power bi live to the end users?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Limit the auto generated Time Intelligence tables to the year 2099

Currently a date field with a value in the really far future leads to massive auto generated Time Intelligence tables. In my case a single expiry date in the year 9999 makes every report >30 MB.

A typo, a user or a developer who picks a date can cause this to happen everywhere.

I have > 50 date fields so it is inconvenient to limit all date fields in the Query Editor.

I do like the auto generated Time Intelligence tables, but it would be nice to have a reasonable limit, or to be able to set this manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Either remove strong typing in M-script by enabling silent conversion of numeric to text or improve the syntax checker to do type warnings.

M-script does not currently support silent conversion from narrow types to broad types (typically from numeric to text) like MSSQL does. While this is not necessarily a problem, the lack of detection of mis-typed inputs to M-script functions creates confusion when scripts return errors for no apparent reason. I propose that either the syntax checker be improved to do more than check for matching brackets and detect mis-typed inputs or enable silent conversion like most SQL platforms do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. matrix does not hold enough data

I have a large amount of data I want to load into a matrix and then set up slicers for lots of categories. When I do this the matrix seems to drop off values. I am trying to create an interactive general legder for a medium size business.

It looks like my main solution will have to be excel, but I really wanted it on the web.

How many rows of data can currently be loaded into the matrix?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Style or themes for Controls

Allow Style or themes for Controls. It can help standardize our reports. In many case, we have a lot of controls (Table, Matrix, Indicator) that have a corporate style, if corporate image change, it can be made automatically. Now we need change it manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. OKViz Candlestick & PowerPoint Export from Dashboard

We use the OkViz Candlestick a fair amount in the PowerBI data analysis and reports. Problem is that it is not supported as a custom visual that can be printed to powerpoint, which renders it ineffective at the critical juncture when presenting analysis to external audiences. Do you have any plans to 'approve' this custom visual for report exports/powerpoint specifically? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cant see the filters on a iphone

I can’t see the report filters on my iPhone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When downloading visual it updates to all reports that I select

When downloading a visual, currently it only downloads to one report and then the process needs to be repeated for other reports for the same visual.

Idea is to have the option of downloading/updating the visual to as many reports as I choose (a window can pop-up with all the reports and I choose as many or few as I like) for that visual.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.