Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cancel Option when "Working On It"

Please provide a cancel button/option when a DAX calculated column is processing.

There are times when I create a calculated column, and the logic causes extremely long wait times for the column to evaluate on the table. My only option is to kill the background SSAS process or PBI Desktop, and reopen the report.

My tables are about 1-6 million rows.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Set Frame size in Sharepoint Web Part

The Power BI Web Part (embed in sharepoint online) works well for me, but I want to adjust the frame size.

I have a report that is wider and longer than the web part frame so I have double vertical and horizontal scrollbars. The only options for frame size are '16:9' or '4:3'.

The frame size should default to the report size (or allow input of height and width of the iframe in px)

14 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server

Please add support for Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server. Like SQL Server Reporting Services : ability to change name, location, add, remove instance. On a mid/large report server farm, multiple instance helps a lot for progressive patching, ssrs subscription launch on different sql engine, etc.

93 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea. We’re interested to hear from many of you about why and how you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server. Drop us a comment and tell us a little more about
          - Why do you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server (as opposed to, say, creating multiple folder trees within the same server and using permissions to isolate users)?
          - What are the key things you’d need to be able to configure differently/independently across instances?

While we could follow the SQL Server approach of enabling you to perform multiple installations of the software on the same server, we could alternatively take a more lightweight approach of enabling you to create multiple “sites” within one installation. (SharePoint uses this latter approach, as did Datazen Server.) The latter approach doesn’t provide quite the same degree of isolation — you can’t…

• Bookmarking in Mobile App

Our Power BI users often travel to areas with bad internet connections to visit clients. The bookmarks feature would be the perfect solution for them if it was available in the mobile app and could cache the data and visuals when bookmarked.

15 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Drillthrough and slicer conflict resolution

Make a drillthrough look for any slicers on the page with the same field and set them to the drillthough value.

Lets say your target is a page all about a widget with a widget slicer. An end user might slice widget A on that page. Later the user goes to another products page and sees widget B in the list, and drills through to the Widget B page. It will come up blank as the drillthrough filter is B, but the page is sliced to A, and there is no widget that is both A and B.

This is…

17 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make columns containing urls have embedded hyperlink in accessible show data table

Users with screen readers can now view a nice accessible table/matrix by selecting the visual and hitting Alt+Shift+F11. But if a column in a table contains a url, the user cannot "click" it. They have to try to copy the value from the table and paste it into a browser to access the url. It would be nice to have the hyperlink embedded in the accessible table for any fields that are data category of web url so a screen reader can use it to navigate to the target.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Vertical Column Headers in Matrix

Make possible to rotate the column header so that they appear vertical. It's very usefull for the case that I have a number of columns and the names of each column is a rather long text, hence it makes the matrix's width large even though the actual cells just hold a number. Format-wise, it can be much more pleasant if the column heades could have appeared vertically to save space rather than the default horizontal.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Set the data model's default Format, for each Data Type

For example: when the Power BI data model first creates a column with Data Type = 'Date', by default that column is formatted like 'Wednesday, March 14, 2001 (dddd, MMMM d, yyyy)'.

Then, I always go to the Modeling tab, and use the Format drop-down to change it to '2001-03-14 (yyyy-MM-dd)'.

Instead, I would like to be able to go into the "Options" menu in Power BI Desktop, and have a section where, for each Data Type (or at least Date, Date/Time, Decimal Number and Whole Number), I can set the default Format.

So that I don't have to manually…

31 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Gateway requests targeting SSAS should include a source property for cache refreshes

We have reports that are consuming data from tabular models on on-premises Analysis Services. And we're using Power BI Embedded, and we're specifying the EffectiveUserName property when obtaining the embed token.

In conjunction with this, we're required to log users who are accessing the on-premises servers and tabular models. And extended events provide most of the necessary data we need to measure. We're continually loading this data to a database and analyzing it.

The problem is that the data include requests/queries that are being executed by the Power BI service from dataset and report cache refreshes. According to Josh Caplan…

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Pass parameter values to embedded report

Allow the host application to pass in a value to be applied to report parameter(s) prior to running and displaying a report. This would allow, say, a customer ID field to be assigned to a parameter ensuring only data relevant to that customer is retrieved.

Whilst this could be achieved via a URL filter, this is not considered a sufficiently secure option in our use case.

18 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Able to export Power BI report in excel from Report server

Hi, Many users are interested in exporting the power bi report in excel looking for this feature to be added in Report server

7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Need slicers group to define AND/OR relatioship betower 2 or more slicers

For example:
                          I have several flight data, each record have 3 fileds: FROMCITY,TOCITY, FlightDuration.
                          I use 2 slicers, one is for FROMCITY, and the other is for TOCITY, I need to list all the records that "FROMCITY=Beijing OR TOCITY=Beijing", so I need to set the 2 slicers in an OR relationship....
                          But now, the default relationship between 2 or more slicers is AND, that means if I set FROMCITY=Beijing ,
                          TOCITY = Beijing, I can just get the records that "FROMCITY=Beijing AND TOCITY=Beijing".....

9 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • format visuals to the same width and height

format visuals to the same width and height

the ability to select Same Height and Same Width from the Format menu

this would allow groups of visuals to be selected firstly to make then the same sizes and then to go on and use the Format Align, Bottom / Top / Left / Right etc etc

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Provide a Power BI Runtime/Viewer Version

Microsoft has a history of providing a runtime/viewer interface for it's product offerings (Access, PowerPoint, Word, Excel). Power BI is the PERFECT example of an application where such a product would greatly benefit the analytic community.
                              For example, I work in a company with 300 people. One of us (me) builds Access database solutions and thus holds a product license. Everyone else simply uses the MS Access Runtime program (free viewer version) to interact with the databases I build. Talk about a win! WIthout runtime we would simply avoid the program altogether. With runtime, users make great use of the…

12 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Phonetic Search

What about have a custom visual that make a phonetic search like QlikView does.

This will help a lot.

Thanks!

7 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Change user language setting in the report server

I want to force to model to use English language for large values that represent in the model with shortcuts "M" and "K" (Millions,Thousands), but instead in some computers the browser display I get is in English and other in our local language.
                                  It would be very helpful if we can change the language setting for each user in the report server ,just like we do in the Power BI service.

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • restrict export to excel

We see that there is a way at the tenant level to restrict the export to excel as well as the analyze in excel but we need an option per dataset (preferred) or per Power BI Report to restrict this option. The problems we are facing is for both sensitive information and also for volumes of data that is too large for this option. We need to have the ability to stop this option for these specific datasets but allow it for other non-sensitive information - so the tenant level option is not appropriate.

98 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Contextual Drillthrough filters

Drillthrough filters is a very powerful features.
                                      Unfortunately current version of PowerBI pass on report page filter only the information in the selected visuals (see also issues).

It could be useful for users have a Drillthrough filters that pass also contextual information (like Slicer, page level Filter, etc).

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Shared data source connection (live to Tabular SSAS) for reports published on Power BI Report Server

Currently each Power BI report published to the Report Server has its own data source embedded within the report. Any change in the source would require us to change hundreds of published reports individually. Could we have a shared data source/connection similar to SSRS Reports that would help us manage deployment and changes much more efficiently.

83 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Export to Excel from PowerBI Embedded

Please provide the ability to export PowerBI Embedded reports to excel. The same functionality that exists on PBI Service.
                                          It is important to also increase export limit.

93 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.