Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. calculated column

Provide the report writer the ability to add calculated columns through the Modeling tab in PBI Desktop, when the report writer has sourced a common data model (Get Data>Powerbi Datasets)

At current, although the report writer has build permissions to the common data model, they are not able to add a calculated column.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hide Filters pane on Power BI Report Server

Is there any possiblity to hide Filters pane in Power BI Report server. We don't want to show the filters been used to external clients in our report for unnecessary discussion on calls.

Something like &filterPaneEnabled=false in Power BI Report Server

855 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export to PDF needs to include all rows in a Table or Matrix visualization

The new feature Export to PDF appears to be just a screen capture of each report - whatever is currently being shown on the screen is what is captured in the pdf. When a report has a Table or Matrix visualization on it with rows that scroll beyond what is shown, these are not captured in the pdf. Need to have all the data show up in the pdf.

285 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View Dataflow data sizes

Enable an option to find the size/storage of a dataflow entity in Power BI service and Premium Capacity Metrics App.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Textbox vertical alignment

It will be nice to align the text vertically in the Textbox. You can do it now only by adjusting the font size and the height of the Textbox.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Copy a whole page including formatting from one PBIX to another.

To be able to right click on a report page within a PBIX and select 'copy' and then enter a different PBIX and then paste that report page. Similar to what you are currently able to do in Excel. Ideally all the settings / formatting would also be copied from PBIX to PBIX.
    Though it great that your able to copy a visual from PBIX to PBIX it needs to go a step further. This would save a lot of report developing time and could be used in a number of ways.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Key Influencers over time

Key Influencers evolution over time.
    The new Key Influencers visual does a nice job to understand the contribution of different factors in a given population. If the evaluation is performed over a given period, it is likely that some factors produce a different influence over time, i.e. the mix of factors/influencers tends to be more dynamic than static over time. For example, in a mix of products at different stages of their lifecycle, it is not uncommon to see new products behaving differently to products that initiate their decline. In other cases, some factors have a significant influence triggered by…

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  AI and Machine Learning  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Hide the App Navigation Pane

Similarly to the Filter Pane, have the option to hide the new App navigation pane. Many of my reports are unreadable due to the size they are reformatted to when the App navigation pane is present.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set a "session bookmark" to remember all filters in all tabs of a report

Bookmarks currently only act on a single tab within a report. For those who work multiple projects with the same data, we need to be able to set a "Session Bookmark" that remembers all filters in all tabs. For example, I work different projects around the world, so I need project session bookmarks like "West Africa", "SE Asia", "North America".

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keep banded row style when changing field formatting background in matrix

When using the "Field formatting" section for a matrix, changing the background color of a field changes it for every row - even when the rest of the matrix is "banded style" or "alternating colors". This can be desirable in many cases.

But what I would LOVE is if you could change a field's background and alternating background, to keep the banded style while still distinguishing that column from the others.

I've also had someone suggest that adding a transparency setting to the color setting, that would then overlay the existing background, would do the trick!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A too/feature is needed to convert classic workspace to new workspace

The new workspace has been the default workspace type. However, currently there is no way to convert a classic workspace to new workspace. A tool or feature is needed to do this job. We have many classic workspaces, and we wish to convert them to new work spaces.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow json template formatting for text box and button

Currently there seems to be no way to customize text boxes and buttons using the json template file, even though they are customizable in the GUI. Please add this ability and update the documentation so we know what the visualName would be for them.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow non-admins to see enterprise gateways in dataflow creation

According to my experience and the documentation, only admins of enterprise gateways can see gateways during the dataflow creation process. Can this not be opened up to report authors as well? Our enterprise gateway is controlled by IT and has one or two administrators. "Self-service ETL" won't be realized unless report authors can create dataflows using the enterprise gateway.

126 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  8 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Give users the ability to share a personal bookmark or filtered view from an app

Users want to easily share a link that will take others to the exact view they are looking at. Workspace versions of reports allow for sharing with filters, now we really need the same thing for Apps. Workarounds exist (commenting, editing URL, etc), but they are not great or easy for our users. We can share report level bookmark links, but not personal bookmarks.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Expose calculated members on user hierarchies when live connected to SSAS Multidimensional

Currently, when we create calculated members in SSAS Multidimensional and put them on a user hierarchy (parent-child) they don't show on Power BI.

These calculated hierarchy elements are very useful in many scenarios, it would be great for PowerBI to be able to show them.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Private Comments

New feature of comments in Reports is really nice and of great value.

Sometimes though comments should not be visible to anyone with access in report.

It might me a good idea to create an option box for sharing comments only with account tagged.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Refresh Metrics to Performance Analyzer

It would be extremely useful if the new Performance Analyzer recorded metrics about what is going on during a report Refresh. We could really use some insight on what's happening during:
    - 'Evaluating...'
    - 'Creating connection in model...'
    - 'Waiting for other queries...'
    - 'Loading data to model...'

How long are queries taking to Evaluate or Load? What 'other queries' are you waiting on? Why is Evaluating taking so long?

Refresh performance is by far our biggest bottleneck and it's very difficult to analyze so this would be a very welcome addition.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Subscription for Power BI reports from Report Server

I know this idea was recently (April 2019) shot down by Microsoft, even with over 2,000 votes in favor of it, but I'm bringing it up again. The simple fact is, we are bound by regulations that keep us from using the cloud service, so the on-premise Power BI Report Server is our only option for widespread report distribution. Paginated reports on PBIRS can be subscribed to, which makes the inability to add Power BI reports to subscriptions even more frustrating. This lack of support severely limits our ability to grow acceptance for the platform. I ask that you please…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.