Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. let maps recognize data category hierarchy automatically

Currently maps don't seem to recognize the relationship between a country and a city, even if both columns have been set up with the corresponding data category in the model.

In a table with cities as "cities" and country as "country" in the data model, the cities are plotted in arbitrary countries instead of the country specified in the column for country.

Please let Power BI maps acknowledge the hierarchy of existing typed data categories and plot depending data points only in relation to their parent category context.

You may not feel the pain if you're in the US. I…

159 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • restrict export to excel

We see that there is a way at the tenant level to restrict the export to excel as well as the analyze in excel but we need an option per dataset (preferred) or per Power BI Report to restrict this option. The problems we are facing is for both sensitive information and also for volumes of data that is too large for this option. We need to have the ability to stop this option for these specific datasets but allow it for other non-sensitive information - so the tenant level option is not appropriate.

43 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Pass filter in URL (PowerBI ReportServer)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the reportserver (as it is already possible in PowerBI online)

40 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable specific security groups setting for 'Publish to web'

The "Publish to web" setting for portal administrators currently has the options of 'Enabled' or 'Disabled'. It would be beneficial to have this manageable in the same way as content packs so certain security (AAD) groups could be set as publishers.

108 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Increase Export Data Limits

In late 2016, Power BI improved our export data options to allow exporting up to 150,000 rows to Excel from a visual on a Power BI dashboard for Pro users. If you require higher limits, please vote on this idea. If you have more specific requirements, please leave them in the comments.

263 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • create multiple apps from same workspace

create multiple apps from same workspace infect from same Dataset without replicating the dataset multiple times.
              only option we have now is to update the app and only one app per workspace can be created which a kind of restrict the workspace usability.
              If we can create multiple apps share it with different users without creating multiple workspace ... means same dataset no dataset replication, will save the storage as well.

50 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Full Screen mode in Power BI Report Server

Power BI Report Server should have an option to open the report in Full Screen mode just as it has an option in Power BI Service . When we open reports in Power BI Report Server , we can view page in 3 options 1:) Fit to Width , 2:) Fit to Page and 3:) Actual size . Issue with these three mode is the page and header consumes a lot of space and we need to scroll to view to full report .

53 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Please Bring back "Test as role" in Power BI Service

It is imperative that the ability to "Test as role" be restored within the Power BI web service.

Previously, there was a blue bar that popped up on the top of the Power BI web service that allowed you to view a dashboard or report as a different user. This could be accessed by going to Datasets > Security > Row Level Security > Test as role. This was extremely important for testing RLS security role membership and to ensure that the roles themselves were operating as expected.

Many organizations need this functionality for training, demos, and testing. Please return…

12 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Support Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server

Please add support for Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server. Like SQL Server Reporting Services : ability to change name, location, add, remove instance. On a mid/large report server farm, multiple instance helps a lot for progressive patching, ssrs subscription launch on different sql engine, etc.

26 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea. We’re interested to hear from many of you about why and how you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server. Drop us a comment and tell us a little more about
                      - Why do you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server (as opposed to, say, creating multiple folder trees within the same server and using permissions to isolate users)?
                      - What are the key things you’d need to be able to configure differently/independently across instances?

While we could follow the SQL Server approach of enabling you to perform multiple installations of the software on the same server, we could alternatively take a more lightweight approach of enabling you to create multiple “sites” within one installation. (SharePoint uses this latter approach, as did Datazen Server.) The latter approach doesn’t provide quite the same degree of isolation — you can’t…

• Sharing Dashboard's from Power BI Premium with Free Users

As a big organization who has invested in Power BI Premium server we would like to be able to share Dashboard's with Free Users.

We can share App's but in some cases, it's useful to be able to share single dashboards from the workspace with specific users.
                      For now, we must create many workspaces, which also create lots of O365 Groups, and this doesn't seem appropriate. We have been informed that selective publishing app content, is in the near future, according to the road map.

Still being able to share single dashboards is still a missing feature when you pay…

16 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Dynamic Parameters for What if analysis

[Will Thompson] I've just merged a couple of very close scenarios, which all have similar great ideas! Something we're considering for the future, so I'm keen to hear your feedback on this. I like this core scenario of a numeric value that is bound to a slider control, and can then be used as part of some expression.

- In a sales report, I can adjust a '% increase' slider to see what impact a small change in revenue might have had on my sales.
                        - In a mortgage calculator, I can change the % rate, borrowed amount and term to see projected…

1,296 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

79 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Edit power bi report in the browser

Ability to edit the powerbi report in the browser without the need to use the power bi desktop similar to what you can do in the powerbi service. This will allow for an on prem web based self service solution.

32 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Give Power BI desktop for Report Server also the Preview options

Hi,

At the moment there is a difference between PowerBI Desktop for Report Server and the "normal" PowerBI Desktop. I want to use the ShapeMaps, Visio Visual also. But this is not possible yet.

29 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • top n selection

If I select a top 5 for example, I want also see the Total amounts for the other products. If possible I want this dynamic. So in my table I see the top 5 and “others” with the amount that is left ( Total amount - top 5 amount)

33 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Export to PowerPoint with filters applied

PowerPoint Export to take into account filters that have been applied to the report prior to export. This is essential for users which need to filter on historic dates and then wish to export the report with those details.

445 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter/slicer-related functionality. We’ve put together a short survey to better understand different use cases and what improvements would make the experience better.  If you have a few moments, the survey takes about 10 minutes to complete.  We appreciate your feedback!
                                  https://aka.ms/x998cx

• Print (or) Save as Pdf option for each individual report and Save whole report as PDF

We can save the whole report as Pdf for the data displayed in tables with conditional formatting.

93 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Maintain dashboard/report usage metrics data for >90 days

The currently released usage metrics feature only keeps data for 90 days. Please increase the data retention period.

FYI: the documentation for the usage metrics feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

45 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Apply the same filter across multiple pages

I have a report that requires more than one page in the mobile view. The problem is both pages should reflect the same filters. I do not expect users to select the same filters again and again; the filters should be selected on the first page and apply to all subsequent pages.

This idea was previously posted under the heading "Make filters that can apply across all pages in a report". However, it will not longer accept votes as it is marked as completed. Is an option available to apply page level filters from the report/dashboard to subsequent pages?

151 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As we announced in Microsoft Data Insights Summit a few weeks ago – filters are coming to phone reports (watch the demo here – link: https://youtu.be/LJNVO9m8NEM?t=39m57s )
                                        This new and exciting functionality will allow you to create a report level filter in phone reports – that will be effective on all of your reports pages!

Some more information on how to optimize your reports for phones may be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-create-phone-report

Filters on phones reports are expected in the next quarter for power BI apps on iOS, Android and Windows – stay tuned to PowerBI apps upcoming releases.

We hope will fully meet your needs.

• Printing custom visualizations

It would be helpful to be able to print custom visualizations to PowerPoint. Currently there is just a message saying that the visualizations are not currently supported. Even allowing the visuals to be frozen in a picture format would be acceptable. Thanks.

474 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps

Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps. Because of our clients needs data cannot leave our servers and be put on the cloud. Our existing SSRS reports are displayed using a report viewer object, however this will not work for PBIX. We need to ability to embed PBIX and display it externally. Is this going to be possible with Power BI report Server?

22 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea!

You can embed a Power BI report stored in Power BI Report Server into another app using an iframe and the rs:Embed=true URL parameter (Kasper de Jonge has a good blog post on the topic: https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/). This support is limited so far; for instance,
                                            - There are no URL parameters for filtering. We plan to add this feature. (Vote and comment: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19727650-pass-filter-in-url-powerbi-reportserver)
                                            - There’s no JavaScript API for richer programmability. (Wouldn’t it be nice if the Power BI JavaScript API supported Power BI Report Server? Submit an idea!)
                                            - The report server will try to authenticate your end user — by default, using Integrated Windows Authentication. For intranet apps whose users are within your organization and your Active Directory forest/domain, that might work fine, but for extranet apps, as you noted, that doesn’t work.

We plan to address this last issue by enabling…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.