Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please FIX/REVIEW your recent changes to the PRO licensing pricing structure

Power BI Team,

Your recent changes/fixes to PRO licensing pricing has caused widespread concern and discussion amongst the community. This is due to Microsoft no longer allowing end users/consumers to access Power BI workgroup reports & dashboards. Reports were suddenly inaccessible in organisations that had built Power BI frameworks over the past 2 years. Your new structure now forces these companies to purchase PRO licenses for ALL users regardless of whether they use it or not.

Unfortunately, Power BI is now the most expensive BI product for large organisations, whom I believe are your primary customers.

The community has not…

81 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support dashboards in Power BI Report Server

Please add support for Power BI Dashboards to Power BI Report Server.

33 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this idea! As its name suggests, Power BI Report Server focuses on Power BI reports (the artifacts you create in Power BI Desktop). Nonetheless, we’re always interested in hearing your feedback, so if you’d like to see the Power BI service’s “dashboards” feature in Power BI Report Server, vote here. Even better, post a comment and share a little more about why. Looking forward to the discussion!

• Maintain dashboard/report usage metrics data for >90 days

The currently released usage metrics feature only keeps data for 90 days. Please increase the data retention period.

FYI: the documentation for the usage metrics feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

26 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,923 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We released a preview of a new matrix visual with today Power BI Desktop release. This new matrix can be used as a source of cross-highlighting, has a stepped layout, can be drilled in to /out of hierarchies, and has performance updates.

You can read all about it in our blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/#matrix

During the preview we will be adding even more new features, so keep watch each month for more improvements and let us know in comments what else you’d like to see.

• Remember Filters I set on Reports!

We have a number of different business parts and all our reports are built generically so that you can change the area you are interested in by filter.

Each person is generally only interested in one specific part. However every time each user returns to the report they have to re set the filter they are interested in.

The only way we can give users a friction-less experience is to duplicate reports where the only difference is the default filter, which is obviously ridiculous.

So please add a feature to remember the last filter that was set by each user…

69 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • restrict export to excel

We see that there is a way at the tenant level to restrict the export to excel as well as the analyze in excel but we need an option per dataset (preferred) or per Power BI Report to restrict this option. The problems we are facing is for both sensitive information and also for volumes of data that is too large for this option. We need to have the ability to stop this option for these specific datasets but allow it for other non-sensitive information - so the tenant level option is not appropriate.

14 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Subscribe to email snapshots of reports in *specific filter/slicer states*

Extend the email subscriptions feature, currently in public preview, to include support for email snapshots of reports in specific filter/slicer states.

More information about the feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

213 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all – we’re looking into how best to tackle this and other filter/slicer-related functionality.

We’ve put together a short survey to better understand different use cases and what improvements would make the experience better.  If you have a few moments, the survey takes about 10 minutes to complete.  We appreciate your feedback!

https://aka.ms/x998cx

• Print (or) Save as Pdf option for each individual report and Save whole report as PDF

We can save the whole report as Pdf for the data displayed in tables with conditional formatting.

46 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Dataset usage metrics for content creators

Improve the usage metrics feature for content creators by exposing information about datasets - e.g. how many reports/dashboards are built on it, performance statistics, refresh reliability, etc.

FYI: here is the documentation for the currently released usage metrics feature:
                    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

22 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Apply the same filter across multiple pages

I have a report that requires more than one page in the mobile view. The problem is both pages should reflect the same filters. I do not expect users to select the same filters again and again; the filters should be selected on the first page and apply to all subsequent pages.

This idea was previously posted under the heading "Make filters that can apply across all pages in a report". However, it will not longer accept votes as it is marked as completed. Is an option available to apply page level filters from the report/dashboard to subsequent pages?

75 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Power BI: implementing an option for choosing ”ALL” in a “Slicer” filter in Power BI

For our corporate reporting purposes we need you to implement an option for choosing ”ALL” in a “Slicer” filter in Power BI.
                        Practical clarification: select all is possible within Page level filter, visual level filter… but the issue is when we need to select all vouchers for a specific account and then also see all underlying accounts for several vouchers; then this is not working – because when I select “Select all” for the visual level filter and then take away the filter for instance for account X – all vouchers will be displayed, i.e. not only the ones where…

16 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Updating only new data from the folder

The folder stores the history of sales. The total amount of data is more than 1GB, and continues to grow. There is no need to constantly update the history, only updating of new data is necessary.

Sorry for my bad english

18 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow redirecting report to another PowerBI service

In order to test the implications of modifications on master reports, we would like to redirect copies of the client reports to a modified version of the master report (PowerBi Service). This would also allow setting up TEST and PROD workspaces with the appropriate security level: admins can read/write to prod and test, reports designers can read from prod and read/write to test. And finally, it would allow to redirect client reports to another copy of the master report, should the original be deleted by mistake.

16 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Custom 'From:' address for Report Subscription emails

The ability to enter a customized 'From:' address would allow recipients of the report subscription email to reply to a specified email group that can handle questions and inquiries related to the report or data.

Currently, there is a default address which cannot be changed to my knowledge.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/report-subscription-email/m-p/165408/highlight/false#M22985

35 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • ODC equivalent for Power BI Desktop

Office data connection (odc) files allow end users to quickly and easily launch , create a pivot table connected directly to a specified data source. I propose a Power BI data connection (PDC) file that had similar behavior. This would allow easy publishing access to data sources in enterprises so end users that wish to author custom reports against data sources don't need to jump through multiple steps to access data source. The PDC file would launch desktop tool and connect directly to configured data source in one step.

75 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Advanced Gantt Chart

The current Gantt Chart in the Custom Visuals Office Store is a step in the right direction, but unfortunately it is pretty much useless in it's current state.

Please add an Advanced Gantt Chart for proper project management (multiple projects with multiple activities).

- Add Milestones on top of the Activity Bars based on a data column (and preferably multiple types of Milestone icons)

- Ability to chose size of the bars (the ones we have now are huge)

- Ability to expand/collapse a group of Activities (preferably grouped by project or category)

- Let report viewers decide the scale…

12 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Map dot/bubble sizes should scale properly (with zero= a tiny dot)

The minimum dot/bubble size in maps is too big and as a result visualisations are misleading as dots representing very different values can appear the same size (as discussed in the forum under "desktop-Map point sizes almost all the same" where some examples are posted). The obvious answer is for zero values to be represented by single points (with maybe an option for zeros not to be plotted at all)? (I’ve posted this here so people can vote for this to get sorted)

36 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Power BI Embedded - Connection to Analysis Services Tabular

Please provide the ability to connect to Analysis Services (Tabular) from Power BI Embedded

140 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server

Please add support for Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server. Like SQL Server Reporting Services : ability to change name, location, add, remove instance. On a mid/large report server farm, multiple instance helps a lot for progressive patching, ssrs subscription launch on different sql engine, etc.

9 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • create multiple apps from same workspace

create multiple apps from same workspace infect from same Dataset without replicating the dataset multiple times.
                                          only option we have now is to update the app and only one app per workspace can be created which a kind of restrict the workspace usability.
                                          If we can create multiple apps share it with different users without creating multiple workspace ... means same dataset no dataset replication, will save the storage as well.

14 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.