Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have one gateway connection for multiple databases in an instance

Have one gateway connection for multiple databases within an instance so that you don't have to manage multiple database connections for the same instance.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. when a gateway refresh fails email gateway administrators

Currently when a refresh fails only the owner of the report/dataset is sent an email to let them know.
    An email should also be sent to the enterprise gateway administrators so they are aware of the failure.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show Gateway Version in Manage Gateways

Add the gateway's version into the area "Managed Gateways". Often we have access to various gateways within the organisation but no way to tell if they are being kept up to date. I know the ones I look after, but nothing about the ones under other staff's responsibility. This would let me troubleshoot issues better.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Dataset refresh schedule option for refreshing every 15 or 30 minutes with a start and stop time.

The dataset refresh only allows 8 scheduled times throughout the day. Either on the hour or half hour. It would be great to have a start time and end time with an interval time, like 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, etc. when to run this.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Reset data source setting with same computer

Currently Power BI have feature it can access only one data source setting from one system and does not have option to edit or delete the data source. Most of the times Database, Server-name are read only mode. if user want to delete all existing settings and re-create one there is not option available in Power BI now. It will be grate if it gives full freedom to reset the account or settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add day option on schedule refresh, my gateway is down ever weekend.

Add day option on schedule refresh, my gateway is down ever weekend.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. support for SAP BW SSO using sapcrypto

Please start supporting sapcrypto in the setup of SSO SAP BW connections. Currently only gsskrb5 is supported by Microsoft, which is no longer actively supported by SAP.

More details:

We need to establish Direct Query for SAP BW using SSO, in order to respect the user authorizations in SAP.
    Below is an extract from steps required to configure SSO:

"gsskrb5 is no longer actively supported by SAP. For more information, see SAP Note 352295. Also note that gsskrb5 doesn't allow for SSO connections from the data gateway to SAP BW Message Servers. Only connections to SAP BW Application Servers are…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. More control of SSAS direct query cache refresh

There needs to be more control over the automated cache refresh for Direct Query connections, specifically to SSAS.

At present Power BI reruns all recent queries (for each individual user, when there's row level security) as soon as it detects any processing on the cube.

If a cube is processed in separate batches then this adds an incredible load on the SSAS box when we're trying to continue processing.

Additional options are required including:
    - Disable auto cache refreshing
    - Disable auto cache refreshing between certain times
    - Only auto refresh the cache when measure groups are processed, not dimensions…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cancel an ongoing refresh

Ability to cancel an ongoing refresh. This would give the ability to look into an issue without waiting on the error to appear after a considerable amount of time.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Details on refresh time

I would like to see time it took to refresh each dataset in auto-refresh. This will help me identify if I need to optimize my queries or use different data source etc. For my application, refresh duration of 5 min vs 10 min makes a huge difference.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Chose the TIME for a scheduled refresh on more than the hour and half hour mark

///// WHY? Our people have lunch break from 12 - 12:30. So I shouldn't schedule a refresh of their time sheet data at either time. It should be 12:15. That's currently impossible with the gateway connector. Other similar scenarios beg for the ability to schedule a refresh during the workday at an odd time. Please, please AT LEAST give us the quarter hour as an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Implement Live/DirectQuery for Postgres

Currently only scheduled refreshes are possible.

Please enable DirectQuery for Postgres in Enterprise and Personal Gateways so we can leverage Postgres db's running on Azure.

Thank you.

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use SQL Server Management Studio a gateway for Power Bi

Connecting Power Bi to Azure SQL databse is practically impossible. I know you can do it because SQL Server Management Studio CAN connect. Why? Because you can use connection strings. You could either just use what the SSMS folks already did without building a gateway. It is very frustrating how disparate Microsoft apps are. Power BI is infinitely harder to work with.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Folders to Organize Connections in Gateway

When the number of connections increases in the gateway, the list gets longer and harder to manage. In my company we have ~40 connections configured and growing quickly.
    I'd like to see ways of organizing the connections into folders (could have it based on a business unit , application etc.) .
    At the very least, please make the sequence of connection names alphabetic

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Schedule data refresh cancellation update

I have multiple reports that update hourly. These cannot be direct query due to different data type requirements. Our gateway often (not always) shuts down in the weekend or at night. Since my report updates hourly, the dataset will disable refresh. I would prefer is the disable was setup so that it lessened the frequency of the refresh (hourly to daily) after 2 failed refreshes, and then only disabled after 2,3 more tries. That way, one gateway reset did not disable the auto refresh

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Refresh Failure Email Summary

It would be great if instead of one email per failure, we could get a summary email of all failures. I am the "owner" of close to 100 reports and when there is a gateway (or other) issue I receive close to 100 emails.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Problems to connect the gateway with analysis services (Discover Method)

I'm trying to connect the analysis services, but when I configure my user in Gateway in Power BI On line give this error:

Não é possível conectar: Encontramos um erro ao tentar conectar a . Detalhes: ""Ocultar detalhes
    ID da atividade: b2dd5e35-7581-45bd-b3ae-99464b2c08c6
    Solicitar ID: 5f789075-f508-7dd7-7866-24f377efb120
    Cluster URI: https://wabi-south-central-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net
    Código de status: 400
    Código de Erro: DMTS_UpdateClusterDatasourceCredentialsErrorCode
    Hora: Fri Feb 08 2019 09:23:14 GMT-0300 (Horário Padrão de Brasília)
    Versão: 13.0.8234.157
    DashboardProjetos: Atingimos o gateway de dados, mas o gateway não pode acessar a fonte de dados local.
    Código de erro subjacente: -1055391722
    Mensagem de erro subjacente: O usuário 'username' não tem…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Additional Data Set Refresh Metadata (Rows Refreshed/Loaded)

Need to be able to monitor health of refreshed dashboards and troubleshoot if necessary. From time to time a dataset will successfully refresh with zero rows due to operational issues. Can additional dataset refresh metadata be made available to give visibility?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.