Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improved Get Data UI using Azure Data Lake Store as a source

The current UI for Get Data from Azure Data Lake Store is very techy. It shows the content of the data lake store as a table, the user needs to edit the table and click on the subfolder or on the type of content to effectively load it: it is not an intuitive process.
    Power BI is a powerful Self Service tool for end users. To ease transition to Azure Data Lake Store as sources, the interface needs to be more intuitive for the average non-IT end user.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • clustering arcgis

I need to make ArcGIS maps Clustering theme to count the number of subscribers in each geographical area by geo coordinates inside it's bubbles.

For example,
      I have table with this kind of data:

LATITUDE LONGITUDE Subscribers count
      43.25667 76.92861 100
      43.25668 76.92868 200

As I can see, ArcGIS clustering theme counts only quantity of geo coordinates from the source table inside the bubbles, but does not count quantity of subscribers in each bubble. I would like there be possibility to make ArcGIS to count quantity of subscribers in each bubble and make quantity to be summarized in bubbles when…

70 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Power BI JavaScript API support for Report Server

At the moment to embed reports in a intranet webpage we only have the option to put ?rs:Embed=True at the end of the url.

I have read (on this website) that there are plans to extend this so parameters could also be passed in the url, in a similar way that the current SSRS works.

Could we also have the Power BI JavaScript API enabled for Power BI Report Server, in a similar way to the Azure service has ?

50 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • restrict export to excel

We see that there is a way at the tenant level to restrict the export to excel as well as the analyze in excel but we need an option per dataset (preferred) or per Power BI Report to restrict this option. The problems we are facing is for both sensitive information and also for volumes of data that is too large for this option. We need to have the ability to stop this option for these specific datasets but allow it for other non-sensitive information - so the tenant level option is not appropriate.

89 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • When Cross Filter is Off, Chart Should Not Be Clickable

Currently when you turn off Edit Interactions for an object such as a column or bar chart, that chart will of course stop filtering any other items on the canvas. However when you click on one of the bars or columns, you can still select the item. But it doesn't do anything. This is confusing to users of the report. The all the cross filtering is turned off for an object, the chart should not be clickable like a chart that does cross filter.

11 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Gateway Management tool - CLI?

It is cumbersome to manage an Enterprise Gateway for 1000+ users using only the web gui. An ideal tool would be:
              1) fast to return and submit information - no waiting for the web gui to load.
              2) allow an admin to quickly add data sources & users, both one at a time and in bulk (perhaps by calling a function that takes a .csv of data as an input)
              3) allow an admin to audit datasources, e.g.: view encrypted credentials; see how many datasets are connected; see how often refreshes are run, and whether they're succesful; return the M…

18 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • top n selection

If I select a top 5 for example, I want also see the Total amounts for the other products. If possible I want this dynamic. So in my table I see the top 5 and “others” with the amount that is left ( Total amount - top 5 amount)

86 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Power BI NodeJs SDK

Give SDK in NodeJS to help calling Power BI Rest APIs.

Github: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-Node
                  This github is not updated to match the new APIs in new swagger. updating it will be helpful.

32 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Way to change datasource import to direct/live query

Create a way to automate the following manual steps..

Hi all

I recently wanted to change the datasource from Import to Live Query using the "Power BI service" and had a good lookaround without turning up much other than "you can not"...

However I managed to get it going, effectively maintaining my designs/visuals and changing datasource so that I can get away with publishing one report whenever my data changes.

Prerequisites:
                    * TARGET: A .pbix file with designs/visuals using import, no measures.
                    * SOURCE: A clean .pbix file using Live Query to a report/dataset published to app.powerbi.com (no designs/visuals)
                    -This…

23 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • When creating bookmarks, affecting report level filters should be optional

We use report level filters using URL filtering in Power BI embedded. Overriding these with bookmarks kills the entire purpose of the dashboard. Report level filters should not be affected by bookmarks or it should be optional choice when creating the bookmark.
                      Bookmarking is useless for us with the current behaviour.

11 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 12 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Export to Excel from PowerBI Embedded

Please provide the ability to export PowerBI Embedded reports to excel. The same functionality that exists on PBI Service.
                          It is important to also increase export limit.

73 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Combo Chart -Line Data is not shown in the "See Data"

I understand that the value of the line graph can not be displayed when there is a value with different aggregation granularity in the same graph and I know that
                              Although I can display the value of the line graph by removing "column series"., please display another matrix on the screen and display the value of the line graph there.
                            --- in Japanese---
                            同じグラフに異なる集約粒度の値がある場合、折れ線グラフの値を表示できないことを理解していますし、「列シリーズ」を削除して折れ線グラフの値を表示することはできますが、別の行列を画面に表示してそこに折れ線グラフの値を表示するようにしてほしい

9 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow Date Filter type to be changed in Power BI Service

In Power BI Desktop, a user can change the type of date filter. It can be a date range, or relative, etc. It would be nice to maintain that ability to change the filter after it's published to the service. Our users generally want to see relative, for instance 'last 30 days'. But sometimes they need to see a specific date sometime in the distant past. It would be nice to be able to publish relative, but allow the end-user the ability to switch it to range when needed.

10 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server

Please add support for Power BI Report Server multiple instances on a single server. Like SQL Server Reporting Services : ability to change name, location, add, remove instance. On a mid/large report server farm, multiple instance helps a lot for progressive patching, ssrs subscription launch on different sql engine, etc.

60 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea. We’re interested to hear from many of you about why and how you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server. Drop us a comment and tell us a little more about
                                  - Why do you install multiple instances of Reporting Services on the same server (as opposed to, say, creating multiple folder trees within the same server and using permissions to isolate users)?
                                  - What are the key things you’d need to be able to configure differently/independently across instances?

While we could follow the SQL Server approach of enabling you to perform multiple installations of the software on the same server, we could alternatively take a more lightweight approach of enabling you to create multiple “sites” within one installation. (SharePoint uses this latter approach, as did Datazen Server.) The latter approach doesn’t provide quite the same degree of isolation — you can’t…

• Extend DAX Format Function - Simple, but HUGE Benefits

Extend Format Function to allow color in format code like in Excel. This would allow far more expressive conditional formatting in formulas. Take it a step further and add codes for bolding, italics and other formatting types. This would allow full flexibility in formatting of reports such as bolding certain rows, etc. Simple change - HUGE benefits! The finance community will thank you greatly!

EXAMPLE:

=FORMAT(1, "[[RED]] #") //formats number as red
                                  =FORMAT(1, "[[#ff0000]] #") //formats number as red (using hex code)
                                  =FORMAT(1, "[[RED;BOLD]] #") //formats number as red and bolds

16 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• the width of the text data column

Even if you change the width of the text data column whose value is displayed on the ”see data" screen, that state is not retained. It takes time when the number of columns is large. I need a function to save the state after changing the column width.

---in Japanese---
                                    「データ確認」画面で値が表示されているテキストデータ列の幅を変更しても、その状態は保持されません。 列数が多いと時間がかかります。 列の幅を変更した後に状態を保存する機能が必要です

10 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Shared data source connection (live to Tabular SSAS) for reports published on Power BI Report Server

Currently each Power BI report published to the Report Server has its own data source embedded within the report. Any change in the source would require us to change hundreds of published reports individually. Could we have a shared data source/connection similar to SSRS Reports that would help us manage deployment and changes much more efficiently.

55 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Edit Power BI report in the browser in Report Server

Ability to edit the powerbi report in the browser without the need to use the power bi desktop similar to what you can do in the powerbi service. This will allow for an on prem web based self service solution.

67 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Give Power BI desktop for Report Server also the Preview options

Hi,

At the moment there is a difference between PowerBI Desktop for Report Server and the "normal" PowerBI Desktop. I want to use the ShapeMaps, Visio Visual also. But this is not possible yet.

60 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.