Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Personalized Bookmarks

The current bookmarking feature requires report creators to define bookmarks. Ideally, users would be able to save personalized bookmarks (similar to web browser) in addition to the author's pre-defined bookmarks.

For example, I might have a project management report or sales by stores. Each user of the report may have their own set of projects or stores that they want to quickly navigate between. These are relevant to the current users and not other users of the reports.

239 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Bookmark "Toggle" - Retain Slicer Selection

If you have 2 visualizations that you are toggling through a Bookmark image, and have slicers on your page, if you change a slicer value and click on the image to toggle to a different viz, the slicers value will not be retained. For instance, if I select Canada in a slicer, click on the toggle, the slicer will change back to whatever was saved in the bookmark. It would be nice to have an option to "retain" the current selections. This would allow a user to make different selections in the slicer, and then when the click on the…

191 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are now working on a way to control for a bookmark if it just applies the visual properties (like hiding/showing visuals), just the filter properties (like slicer states), or both (the default & what it does now). This will allow you to set up toggles that just switch out the visuals, while not changing the slicers.

Keep voting on the idea if you want an update when it goes out!

• Breakdown or Weighted Tree

I was wondering one of a very important visuals missing from Power BI gallery is Breakdown or dependencies tree,
        this will help us to design a good view and give us more room for other visuals to add in our dashboard.

265 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Bookmark groups

The new bookmark feature looks great. Would be useful if you could have collections of bookmarks for the presentation mode. For example, we have multiple clients that we provide campaign analysis for. It would be useful to use the same base report for these presentations but with the ability to create a group of bookmarks that are specific to that presentation. That way only one report can be used for every presentation and multiple users could have their own set of bookmarks to view a report in the ways that they specifically care about.

126 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Conditional formatting (cell highligh, font, etc) when comparing multiple fields

PowerBI needs to have the ability to offer conditional formatting of based on the comparison of 2 or more metrics. For example if metric A = metric B then change the font and highlight color of the cell to red.
            If metric A > metric B and metric A < metric C then change the font and highlight color of the cell to green.
            This should be unlimited for how many colors can be used. Other BI tools offer this feature.
            Note that this is different than what PowerBI currently calls ‘conditional formatting’

934 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Python Script in Power BI

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data transformation. It would be even better if we could run Python script.

331 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Drill through that considers slicer/filter context of a parent visual

The current drill through capability does not appear to consider an active filter/slicer value for a visual unless the dimension being filtered is included in the parent visual. I think it would be helpful if it did.

For example; a table of customers subject to a slicer for specific stores should pass on both the customer and store values if these dimensions are both listed as drill through filters.

135 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Filter enabled bookmarks

Filter enabled bookmarks

a user can pass filter selection(s) from the page where he calls the bookmark. That way bookmarks become a sort of drillthrough and you can bypass the report level filters which are not user friendly.

95 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Updates to Report Server should be available more frequently

It seems unfair that Power BI desktop is updated each month with new and improved visuals but we will have to wait several months longer to have these improvements in Power BI Report Server. For example the new matrix visual is big improvement but those with Report Server will have to wait about 6 months before it is available to them. I'd like Report Server updates in parallel to Desktop updates.

232 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback on this topic! Let me address a few points here.

First, a couple of you mentioned the new Table and Matrix visuals, which became generally available in July. I know they’re just one example, but I thought I’d update you about them specifically. We previously communicated that the very next release of Power BI Report Server would support them, and the August 2017 Preview is now available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-august-2017-preview-now-available/). We’re still targeting Q4 CY 2017 for the next production-ready release.

Second, to confirm our current release and support lifecycle:
                      - We plan to release Power BI Report Server “multiple times per year.”
                      - Initially, we’ve planned for about 3 releases per year (in other words, on average, every 4 months).
                      - We support each release for 12 months, which gives customers up to a year to upgrade to a newer version while receiving any…

• Bookmarks on all Visuals

Allow all visuals to support Bookmark actions, so that a user can create a bookmark/see details action on a card visual for example.

87 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • where can i buy ielts band 9 online without exams in pakistan(nebosh.2017@yahoo.com)

whatsapp(+237651104272) buy/get real ielts/Purchase/obtain ielts certificate, get registered ielts certificate without exam in pakistan/india/australia/SaudiRabia/lebanon/UAE, original nebosh certificate, buy/order original/legit ielts certificate in India, buy original ielts certificate pakistan/ nebosh in qatar, buy nebosh certificate without exams, real ielts for sale, buy genuine/verifiable ielts, obtain authentic ielts in pakistan, where can i buy ielts without exams, get ielts band 7, english language certificate

Hi Friends

You Have Problems in getting the required scores in Ielts,Toefl, Pte, Gmat, Gre, Nebosh, SAT,Esol, Toiec, Oet, ACT, GED, Usmle, Psat, lsat, Celban, FCE, CAE,CPE, BEC, Fle, Tesol, without exams/test???
                        At our association we can help…

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

196 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Totals in stacked column charts

During several presentations I get questions regarding the total of stacked columns. In the current situation you can select to label all the parts of the stacked column but no grand total. I would like to see the option to add a label to the Visuals which shows the total of the stacked column (this counts for values only). Ideally this total would deviate together with the drilldowns you select, so it stays interactive whatever filters you select or subsets you create on your dashboard.

55 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Dynamic Date Slicer (improve relative date slicer)

This is a repost of my idea that was closed as completed, but the 'relative date slicer doesn't allow any of the described request hence my idea is not implemented....

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
                            YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

647 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The relative date slicer (a Preview feature as of June ‘17) gets us close to this with the ’This Month’ or ‘This Year’ settings. That is a dynamic date selection that updates based on the current system date. We plan to add a ‘YTD’/‘MTD’ option to specifically select a range from the start of the month/year up to today, hopefully that’ll address the remaining requirements!

• Email subscriptions for Power BI reports in Report Server

Be able to create email subscriptions for the PBIX reports in the Report Server

322 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated measures against multidimensional models too.

753 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Custom Connector as a Portable Library of Functions

Currently, a custom connector requires a Data Source and a Authentication record associated to a function in order to be Published or exposed in the 'Get Data' dialog/window.
                                  This is perfectly fine for data sources, but if I want to create a custom connector that creates data using native M functions, like. List.Generate or List.Dates, then I shouldn't have to define a Data Source nor an Authentication which complicates things and is an unnecessary step for the end user.

Here are 2 videos showcasing 2 functions that do not need any sort of authentication, but due to the way custom…

121 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Custom Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Back-button feature to clear selected drillthrough filter value

As drillthrough function we use a filter and we give value for it from other report page. I click back-button and it will take me back to where I was before. In the background filter value stays unchanged. I use drillthrough function again. Filter value changes and I see visuals filtered with that value. I use back-button again. I navigate to that report page manually and to my surprice value selected in prev step is still selected. I know that I can open my filter selections and clear selected value but I'd like to do is to start exploring my…

91 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • DAX Query Language Visual

I see big value in creating a visual that can display the results of a DAX query. One way this could be deployed is a follows.
                                      * Add the new visual to the report canvas
                                      * Write a DAX query that returns a table (of course) and add this to the visual
                                      * The visual would respect any cross filtering coming from the report just like any other visual.

This would give report writers very granular control to display records without having to use a table visual and a measure that triggers the display of the correct records.

36 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make Desktop available through Microsoft Update (for versions of Windows before Windows 10)

In September 2017 we announced that Power BI Desktop is available through the Windows Store, giving automatic updates: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-at-ignite-2017-announcing-enterprise-ready-capabilities-for-establishing-data-culture-at-scale/

If you're not able to update to Windows 10, vote for this idea so that Power BI Desktop can be made available through Microsoft Update to older versions of Windows.

60 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Please Bring back "Test as role" in Power BI Service

It is imperative that the ability to "Test as role" be restored within the Power BI web service.

Previously, there was a blue bar that popped up on the top of the Power BI web service that allowed you to view a dashboard or report as a different user. This could be accessed by going to Datasets > Security > Row Level Security > Test as role. This was extremely important for testing RLS security role membership and to ensure that the roles themselves were operating as expected.

Many organizations need this functionality for training, demos, and testing. Please return…

110 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 501 502
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.