Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Share personal bookmark with colleagues

Personal bookmarks cannot be shared. To facilitate collaboration, we need to be able to share a personal bookmark with others in the organization. This way, others can see exactly what I need to share quickly.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filter by visible values in a matrix/table column

Most competing BI tools have a feature that lets you take the output of one query to use as a filter for another query. For an analyst, this is a very valuable feature. Unfortunately, Power BI does not provides this functionality, unless you're prepared to write some complicated DAX.

Consider the following scenario:

You have a table visual that shows you a list of customers that bought a certain product in a certain period of time. This is very easy to achieve in Power BI, by dragging the CustomerKey field and [Sales Amount] measure into a table visual, while also…

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Subscription for Power BI reports from Report Server

I know this idea was recently (April 2019) shot down by Microsoft, even with over 2,000 votes in favor of it, but I'm bringing it up again. The simple fact is, we are bound by regulations that keep us from using the cloud service, so the on-premise Power BI Report Server is our only option for widespread report distribution. Paginated reports on PBIRS can be subscribed to, which makes the inability to add Power BI reports to subscriptions even more frustrating. This lack of support severely limits our ability to grow acceptance for the platform. I ask that you please…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change the fact that workspace App updates cause restore of reshare permissions for underlying datrasets

After a workspace App being updated, the reshare permissions are restored for a dataset, despite having these been previously removed. This behaviour supposes a security risk as it limits control on users resharing reports.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Images should have Locked Aspect Ratio

When I add an image to Power BI Desktop, the default setting is that the Aspect Ratio is not locked. This makes the process of scaling the image to a suitable size behave in an inconsistent way compared to (say) PowerPoint. If you turn on "lock aspect ratio", then the image scales correctly and consistently with other office applications.

Most images should be scaled with a locked aspect ratio.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. refresh dataflow with Flow

The new capability to refresh a dataset in Flow is great - would like to see that functionality extended to dataflows as well.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ESRI ArcGIS maps in Power BI Report Server

Support ESRI ArcGIS maps in Power BI Report Server

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Comprehensive theme editor is required for Desktop

Report themes are great. For quite some time we have been able to build JSON file that describe themes. At first they were relatively simple, but have evolved to include theming options for virtually every aspect of a report.

The September 2019 edition of Power BI Desktop introduces a massive number of additions to theming. There are now so many that simple, textual JSON file editing is now impractical. We NEED a graphical theme editor.

Power BI Desktop itself could act as the editor with one simple feature addition. Export current visual settings to a theme file (JSON). With that,…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Textbox vertical alignment

It will be nice to align the text vertically in the Textbox. You can do it now only by adjusting the font size and the height of the Textbox.

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Default measure format to comma and zero decimals

Every time I create a measure I have to format it as “,” and 0 decimals. This appears to be the most common format and it would make sense to make this the default.

355 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Group level filter

Group level filters similar to Visual or Page level filters.
    It would complete the functionality of groups and also would make bookmarking easier.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. View Dataflow data sizes

Enable an option to find the size/storage of a dataflow entity in Power BI service and Premium Capacity Metrics App.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dataflows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hyperion Essbase: Support on premise server publishing

Thanks for adding the support of Essbase connector on desktop. it would be great if you can enable the publishing to on premise server also.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Create Viewer Access Role

I have many end users who should remain as such. End users. They should be able to consume content period. Having this limited access will not allow them to edit, alter, delete, update, etc. They should also not be able to download content in a PBIX file as they won't be permission-ed to connect to the original data sources only. This would be very helpful to have, particularly in the new apps where I have various levels of users interacting with the published content, some who truly need read-only access (particularly in B2B situations where we publish data to external…

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Copy a whole page including formatting from one PBIX to another.

To be able to right click on a report page within a PBIX and select 'copy' and then enter a different PBIX and then paste that report page. Similar to what you are currently able to do in Excel. Ideally all the settings / formatting would also be copied from PBIX to PBIX.
    Though it great that your able to copy a visual from PBIX to PBIX it needs to go a step further. This would save a lot of report developing time and could be used in a number of ways.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AutoML available for PRO users

Enable AutoML for Power BI Pro users, not just Premium.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  AI and Machine Learning  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable dashboard publishing

Very limited without this option. This is the main use people want to have for dynamic visualisations

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Report Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. GetReportsInGrouAsAdmin Should include report state, i.e. deleted

When using this API call, it returns all reports, which is fine and useful. However, it doe snot indicate the state of the report, i.e. active, deleted, etc.

Where this causes some challenge is when reporting on the data that is returned, we are unable to report on the various states of a report and are forced to simply show them all even if they have been deleted subsequently.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Prompt the User Before Creating a Hierarchy When Fields are Dragged Onto Each Other

How many times have you dragged a field onto another field by mistake and have it create a hierarchy?

It happens quite often. Usually I am trying to drag the field to the Visualization pane but fail to hold the mouse button. And lo and behold it creates a hierarchy. (Which I then have to delete. But sometimes I do not even notice that I accidentally created a hierarchy).

It would be nice if a prompt came up, asking if we want to create a Hierarchy.

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Power Platform Admin Portal

Allow the Power BI admin role to access the Power Platform admin portal. This will allow the Power BI admin to see all data gateways used in an organization.

133 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.