How can we improve Power BI?

On premise CRM Dynamics

It seems odd that the OData feed doesn't work for CRM On-premise, but works for CRM Online. It would be nice if there was an easy way to connect to CRM On-premise. THoughts?

144 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stuart Robertson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daniel (Australia) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT complete. Please reopen it. PowerBI does not connect to CRM on-premise. Even your website says so:

"You need to specify valid OData URL for a Dynamics CRM Online instance (the content pack will not work with an on-premises CRM version)"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad that there are many restrictions for on-premise users for pushing their Online versions. I need this very badly... support for CRM On-Premise customers - when is this coming?

Does that mean it is not possible to connect to On Premise Dynamics CRM from Power BI Desktop?

You can feed data real time from CRM On-Premise by using the Analysis Services Connector to use data from your CRM SQL tables. Also you can use the Personal Gateway

• Patrick Willborn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have On-Premise CRM installed due to security issues, not Online. Therefore Connection to BI for us is a must - I'm surprised how easy it is to connect different external data sources - but internal MS ones are quite difficult. Is there any documentation regarding connecting the on-premise SQL DB to BI?

• Eric Vasbinder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, the use of an Internet Facing Deployment (IFD) is a security risk that we cannot allow for our on-premise install.

• Eric Vasbinder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But an ODATA feed requires jumping through a lot of hoops (Excel connection, etc.). This is unacceptably complicated.

Same error as Michael. How do we go about adding our On Prem OData web address as an approved service?

• Michael Buller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I followed all of the articles that discuss how to get through some of the issues including everything about the "Personal Gateway". When all of these avenues failed, I started a support chat session. They directed me to the Microsoft ticketing site where I have to sign up for 500 a session or 2,000 for 5 questions. Where I understand that Microsoft can expect to be able to charge for support, when it is a feature that is being touted as working and then the instructions / process ultimately doesn't work, why should we have to pay. Please either open this back up and "Not Complete" or give a better more complete explanation. I know with OData and Excel we had to trick the process using the Outlook Connector to pass the Authentication tokens back and forth. This is ADFS, so the process is quite complex.

• Michael Buller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get an error, "You have not approved any authentication services on this computer." Where do I go about getting these?

• Tyler Sand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not able to get this working with on premise CRM, authenticating via IFD/ADFS. Is anybody able to get this working?

• Alex Nosiara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to use on-premise odata feed in BI Desktop using Organisational Account, but am getting "The WWW-Authenticate header doesn't contain a valid authorisation URI". IFD is working well via ADFS.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.