How can we improve Power BI?

SQL Server Analysis Services Cubes

Enable connectivity to on-prem (or IaaS) SSAS Cubes / multidimensional!

1,185 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Milinda Vitharana shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

120 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • frustratedcustomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've waited too long for this feature to be included in your next releases. How come other products have it already. With that I'm happy using tableau.

• Jeremy Deats commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disapointed with Microsoft over SSAS Tabular only suppot. BI with SSAS is all about OLAP. It has been for years and continues to be the very heart of Microsoft's BI offerings. SSAS OLAP is what your customers have invested in. Yet this feature was not a priority for launching the new Power BI tool? This makes no sense. It shows the disconnect between Microsoft's design teams. Power BI is suppose to give power users an easy way to bridge to and visualize the data warehouse. But Microsoft you've fallen short again! It's clear you don't understand your customers needs. Frankly, you're a disgrace to the industry you helped build. What's really sad about his is that on so many other fronts Power BI gets things right and should be model of where other Micorosft apps should be going. All that is superseded by your failure to implement core features. If you don't get it right, it doesn't go from 100% to 85%. It goes from 100% to being absolutely useless to the customers who have an investment in SSAS OLAP. You've abandoned us. Just like you've abandoned Windows RT users. Just like you've abandoned Windows Phone users. In the future it's clear Microsoft will go wherever it has to go to enable the marketing department to say what they need to say in the press releases. This is despicable, unacceptable behavior. Is that strong language? You bet. You've earned it. I can only hope Senior Management will continue to cut off the fat and shrink Microsoft down to manageable size where as a company you can reclaim the passion and focus that made yu great. If that takes another 35,000 jobs or even 60,000 I hope Microsoft do what they need to get back to creating great products again. The lack of Multidim SSAS support and the ridiculous cost and infrastructure commitment for Azure Active Directory support to use the REST API is unforgivable. We all know this is not 1995 anymore. We know the top graduates in CS are looking every but Microsoft. We know times are hard but were are still devoted Microsoft enterprise developers. Please show us a little respect for sticking with you and not make us continue to assume all the risk.

• Ram Nandigam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working on MS BI for over 12 yrs. It is very unfortunate to note that MS is giving preference to Tabular as compare to OLAP for any new feature. Please consider all new features for OLAP first before making it available for Tabular

• Alejandro Leguizamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft Team:

I really hope the multidimensional story is solved by GA time.... Otherwise, this will be another disappointment.

• Thakks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this going to be supported when its going live on 24th July. I can connect to my multidimensional SSAS instance from Power BI Designer

• Raf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear PowerBI Team, what's the point of having this site, it seems that the number of votes have no bearing on your decision to select what features to implement next. This by far the most voted for request and yet it continues to get ignored.

Is it too much of an ask to have Microsoft support access to thier own products before supporting access to other random data sources that only handful of people use ?

• Ferry Teheux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi MS,

I've red the release notes of the PowerBI general release at July 24th, it does not seem to include this SSAS multidimensional cube access feature. Can you enlighten us when this will come?

Guess its needless to say one needs this feature to roll this out successfully.

• David Merchant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saasabi provides a Microsoft Azure-based OLAP multi-dimensional engine that connects natively to Power BI. If this is an issue that is hindering client adoption of Power BI then we can help you. Contact me at david.merchant@saasabi.com for more information.

• Samuel Rentsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely vital - pls go 4 it. Out whole MSBI installed base of customers runs SSAS. More to come. Remove this sales blocker.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.