How can we improve Power BI?

SQL Server Analysis Services Cubes

Enable connectivity to on-prem (or IaaS) SSAS Cubes / multidimensional!

1,185 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Milinda Vitharana shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

120 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel Merz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been playing with power BI for all of about 5 minutes. The first thing i tried to do is browse a multi-dimensional SSAS cube which is so easily done in Excel and Tableau, to no avail. It's actually loading all cube data into a relational set into memory? RU kidding? My cube at over 2 billion records. This defeats the whole purpose of a cube. What am I missing here?

• Ahsan Khawaja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please respect all aspects of the cube, Actions, drills, slice & dice, or not release it until these have been implemented, no marketing here please

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the existince of already a lot of Multidimenionsal OLAP cubes in several companies, this is a must have option in Power BI.
        Power BI must expand all options!!

• Alejandro Leguizamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scott:

What happens is that most of MSFT BI , from the corporate point of view, is based in SSAS Multidimensional: many of the advanced modelling can inly be done there: tabular is still very far in terms of power and sophistication compared to the maturity of MD. Traditionally , the MS platform over the last 7 years or so, has lost a lot of ground in visualization versus new players that have achieved what MS used to get before in front of BDMs: The Wow factor. And for business users, if you do not see it, it doesn't exist. MS has a fantastic server tooling, but lacks and made huge mistakes on the visualization part.

• Scott Burnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that this features is dependent on voting and other features in the pipeline are not. This makes me curious how much dimensional cubes are used in general in the data world. Can understand how some may see dimensional cube support as contradictory to the goals of Power BI. Each project needs to be evaluated though and some projects may work with creating a data model within Power Pivot or Power BI Desktop instead of creating a dimensional or tabular cube. Guessing that is not the case for all.

• Javier Loria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes no sense, that MS does not support SSAS in Power BI.
        Tableau and 100 other tools have better support for YOUR corporate users than you do.
        It's not even funny, just sad.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is everyone referring to a LIVE connection to the SSAS multi-dimensional?
        Because I can connect to multi-dimensional cubes and extract data and load it into the data model fine. I just have to manually refresh it.

• Hung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have a timeline when multidimensional cube will be supported by power bi?

• Amir Netz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys - I know the wait has been frustratingly long. But you should know that the feature is in the works and barring unforeseen complications we expect to GA it this fall.

• Adam Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe we are still waiting for this. You realize most of your large customers are using multi-dimensional in AX...Support your own ERP system please

• Stephen Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You people do realize that your whining about multi-dimensional support for Power BI shows your inability to successfully create proper data models to accommodate your end user, right? I really hope none of you are hiring decision managers, because if so, its the blind leading the blind!!!!

Multi-dimensional associations can be pre-built in tables and views before even allowing connection to import data in Power BI. Microsoft has to accommodate your stupidness, how dumb is that? Hopefully they won't but I guess they will probably do anything for their customers. Understand the usage of Power BI and Self Service. Users do not need to be taking over 250MB of data processing it. If that is the case then you need to create an SSAS Multi-Dimensional cube before hand and allow your end users to access it and work from there. Waste your companies money on other products because of your inability to design and develop as an Architect and Developer? That is hilarious. Lastly, users can use the multi-dimensional functions in Power View!!!! And this is what our companies are allowing to have as DBAs/Developers/ and Architects? you gotta be kidding me!!!!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of multi-dimensional support is stopping us from adopting Power BI. Tableau is looking a better option...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.