Power BI Ideas

• or
  1. Expression based formating like you have in SSRS (colors, borders, fonts, background)

Expression based formating like you have in SSRS, so everything could be controlled by an expression.
    e.g. Fore/Background colors, Line styles, Font Type and decorations, Show/Hide Row or Column or Group.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Legend field overwrites coloring when expression based coloring is in use

Expression based coloring is great, but the report consumers need to understand what each color mean on the chart.
    Adding a legend is not an option currently, because theclegend field overwrites the the conditional color formatting.

The legend field should respect expression based color settings and return the color for each value.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change object responses based on expressions?

Give developers/ analysts the ability to change the way objects react based on expressions, for example: Lets say I have a scenario were I would like to create visual comparisons between two columns in a table. With other BI products I've previously worked on this is quite an easy task as part of the dashboard design and has given our users an amazing way to analyse data based on first glance. Would it be possible to add this type of functionality for multiple or rather every supported object like for example changing the forecolor of text based on an …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show/Hide columns in report based on expression.

There should be some way to Show/Hide columns in power view report based on expression. Right now if hide from client tools option is selected in data model, it will not be visible in the report. There should be some feature to hide column based on expression as well like in SSRS

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Update expressions based on variables

Make all objects show/hide based on variable value, Expressions control through variable. Lets say there are 3 metrics user would like to see in the same graph when they click on each metrics. Like when user wants to click Sales button, all values reflect sales data, when clicks budget, all objects shows budget values. Qlikview has this facility to make the dashboard most powerful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. matrix format

It would be even more functional if you could conditionally format the cell formatting based on an expression, so that if I had a column called Value for example, i may want that value to show as a percent based on some other column and as an integer other times, again based on another column or an expression output

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PowerBI Embedded - User language translation based on expression

For our power BI embedded, we need to be able to add customized translations to our embedded power bi as we are supporting about 60 languages. We are currently using Azure text translator to translate text. To my understanding currently power bi does this behind the scenes already based on user browser culture, but in our system we allow the user to select these settings and need to be able to display these based on an expression in the controls of power bi from our system.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Conditional Formatting Based on Text

For example in a table you can apply conditional formatting based on numbers, percentage or sales, but what about if you want to color formatting based on text taht woukd help a lot for non numeric users!

Thanks in advance!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Conditional Formatting based on a different measure

I would like to be able to format a column in a table or matrix based on values of a different measure, or based on values of the same measure in a different row of the table.
    Examples :
    1. Conditional formatting of sales amount based on the value of sales amount last month(green if higher, red if lower etc.).
    2. Conditional formatting of sales amount based on sales goal(higher/lower than goal, and how far from target)

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Write expression in Control property

Power BI should provide for writing expression in control property to change it dynamically (For eg. Change background color, show/hide axis of charts based on data)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Rule-based conditional formatting for Map visuals

would love to see Rule-based conditional formatting for Map visuals too.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expression-based field formatting to display custom values for matrix | table visual

I would like to be able to dynamically set my row header values based on a measure or text input. Let's say for instance I have a generic measure to calculate sum of current month based on user selection. The measure name is "CM" for short. If the user selects "April 2020", the field to display in the matrix visual would be "April 2020" instead of "CM". If a user selects "March 2020", then new field display within the matrix would then be "March 2020"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Format Visual Background Color based on field value

We need to format background (and another formatting settings) based on field values.

For instance: Red Card background if the value is under zero or green if above zero.

Thanks,
    Tiago

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Conditional formating based on date

Now conditional formatting for tables and visuals are working only with numeric values. It would be really good if we can format cells/charts based on date. For example - if "Column A" < Today - red, and etc. This way we can track if we are late in orders delivery an many thing else. Function sort by colour may be good addition to this!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. conditional formatting based on another measures

Conditional Formatting Based on a different measure

Example:

I have put the "CapSalesAmount" measure in the value field of metrix while applying the conditional formatting on "CapSalesAmount" measure based on another measure created "CycleSalesAmount".

I want to highlight the "CapSalesAmount" against the "CycleSalesAmount" measure while only putting "CapSalesAmount" in the value field.

I don't want to put or show the "CycleSalesAmount" measure value anywhere in metrics just to highlight the "CapSalesAmount" Value if that is greater than "CycleSalesAmount" for the same column and same row in that metrix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Rule-based conditional formatting for negative percentages

For calculations such as a reverse delta, being able to use rule-based conditional formatting would be helpful for negative percentages. When trying to create a conditional formatting rule for a percentage, inputting a negative value currently prompts you to "please check the logic of this rule".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Return a Different Table Expression based on a condition

When attempting to use an IF() statement to return a table expression, a "Multiple Sources" error is returned due to the fact that an IF() statement returns a scalar. This is, however, a natural thing for an analyst to attempt (for example, to enable different variables to display on a chart depending on a slicer input). I would propose an IF()-like formula that can result in a table/column.

A specific use would be to determine a ratio based on different groupings, depending on a selection. For the following example, [Section] can take the value "All", "Product" or "Age" depending…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. format the results of a formula

Currently I can use conditional format when values are more or less than 0. What I would like to do is be able to conditional format based upon the result of a mathematical condition. For example. My target is 100 for each month. In Jan I get 90, this should be highlighted red as the expression (90<100) is true. Feb is 105. This should be formatted green as the expression (105>100) is true. This is a way to show when actual values miss or beat target values without having to create a "difference" field that takes up more room on…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable conditional measure formatting (%, $M, $K), based on cube/report fields/slicers

Enable conditional measure formatting (%, $M, $K), based on cube/report fields/slicers.

This would empower the user to see the numbers in the numeric format he wishes, or the one that the report developer pre-defines.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Advanced conditional formatting (based on another metric/cell/dimension)

HI,

I know there is a condtional formatting option available. However, it's to simple for my business case. I want to make a dashboard in which I can easily see if my results meet their target. The target is a changing metric, so I can't fill in a standard value (which is currently the case), but I would need to make the conditional formatting based on another metric/cell.
    I would like to color my MetricA green if they are higher than MetricB. That's currently not possible. Also conditional formatting based on text or dimension is yet not possible. For example,…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 124 125
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.