Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RLS crashing PBI Desktop

RLS preview crashes PBI Desktop.
    After entering a DAX query for a role and saving it, performing just about any other function (other than saving the PBIX) causes PBI Desktop to throw an error. After which, the PBIX file can't be saved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please stop asking me to share usage info

Whenever I open the app I told that everything is ready to go and there is a default check to share data. There should be an option to "not ask again" so I do not have to uncheck the box every time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable (user entered) Title Text for Stacked bar and column charts

On Stacked Bar charts and Line and stacked column charts, the axis used to split quantities or $values by a category (eg status or sales groups) requires a user-defined title text. This functionality was available in Excel.

Where an axis is indicating the cumulative quantity or value - eg in a Line and Stacked Column chart, the x axis might be 'Week Reported' and the y axis is showing 'Open outside SLA', 'Open within SLA', 'Closed within SLA' and 'Closed outside SLA'...

If you switch Y axis (column) title ON, you get 'open outside SLA.... etc as the axis title…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom Color Scheme for dashboards

It would be great if it's possible to create a color scheme and use it for all visuals in the dashboard and reports. By using a color scheme you can convert al the visuals in the company's colors!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hierarchical Slicer: Single Select, Multiple Select & Select All Not Enabled

The stock or simple filter has a "Selection Control" section under format that allows the user to designate whether the filter can be used to select a single or multiple items, as well as, a select all option.

This formatting option is not available for the new downloadable custom visual called the "Hierarchical Slicer". Without this option it forces the user to either use the stock filter with the hierarchical slicer or spend A LOT of time creating additional layers (columns/relationships) in the data in order to present it in the desired format. This would be a great improvement.

Power…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Problem to update data when coming from excel download extraction from webapps

Be able to change the name or location of the input file to be analysed, if the data structure is the same as the original file used but the filename of the file extracted changes. Currently we need to manually copy paste data from the last extraction to the file originally defined to be able to update the reports

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The Mobile report preview mode / web report preview mode in the Reporting Services Browser

If the Mobile report preview mode / web report preview mode functionalities can be added in the Reporting Services Browser along with the Power BI Integration to SSRS. This is feature is currently available in the Mobile report development and Power BI web report development.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Option to change decimal number to whole number when using live (SSAS molap) connection

In our cubes all numbers have to be precize at 2 numbers for decimals but in reports/dashboards we often don't need decimal details because we show aggregated data anyway. I don't seem to find an option to show our measures as whole numbers = without decimals and we definitely don't want to show irrelevant information in our dashboards/reports so this option would be very helpful!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Custom Visual Time Brush Doesn't Display Time Axis Values on Embed Page

The Time Brush (Microsoft experimental) isn't displaying the time axis values on the embed page. They were being displayed before the recent update (August). Is there a way to fix this issue?

I tried making the window taller (this worked in the past), however, this does not help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Caching data in Power BI service connected through Direct Query

Cache data so that my direct query connected Power BI dashboard perform better. My data will not change for 1 month.

Source: On-Prem sql DB

PBI dashboard Connected through Enterprise Gateway

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. wunderlist

Microsoft family want to make one "wunderlist" task status you can check Power bi.
    I think companies that use Wunderlist task sharing in small businesses is not level use the Office 365 Planner needs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Automate the updates the same as Office365

Just wondering whether at some stage updates will be the same as all other Office 365 updates, as having to remind users to manually install to get new features is painful. Then it would be consistent with all the other products :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. On Line and Clustered/Stack charts - allow Formatting of both Line and Stack Y-Axis ranges

On Line and Clustered/Stack charts - allow Formatting of both Line and Stack Y-Axis ranges.

Currently Y-Axis scale/start/end/Display units only affects bar and line axis is not customisable/formattable.

Can we have same format options for line please.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Display When there are Visual/Page/Report Level filters Effecting Visuals

It’d be nice to know if a visualization has extra visual level filters applied. (or if a page has filters, etc…)

I was driving myself crazy the other day trying to understand why some data wasn’t appearing in my table, and then I realized that I had forgotten that there was extra filters applied in the Visual Level Filters bucket (which I keep wanting to access from the ‘Rows’ group, can they not be combined?). I can’t imagine if I was someone else looking at this for them to know that I’ve crafted some subset of data.

It’d be great…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Insert Shapes to allow for angle turns , resizing of all points and a wide variety similar to Excel & PowerPoint capabilities

Delighted with Power BI visualizations and flexible report canvas, and May I suggest an expansion of ''Shapes'?. The choices available are limiting the full potential of visualizing, and as an example, being able to turn the arrows 90 degrees, resizing the spearhead, etc., with the same functionalities as available in Excel and PowerPoint, will allow us to brings many presentation advantages.

There is so much potential to being able to choose: a) Lines; b) Rectangles; c) Basic Shapes; d) Block Arrows; e) Equation shapes; f) Flowcharts; g) Banners; and h) Callouts.

Are other members relating to this?

Thank you,

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. This site requires only Email to sign in (security issue)

I am able to sign in to this site with any other email( of any person). This is totally wrong. Although Power BI Online requires SSO validation but here just an email is enough to sign in.
    What if any person post something on behalf of some other person?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add support for Yahoo! and gmail accounts. The first account is an administrator, and can whitelist 25 yahoo accounts with a password and or

Add support for Yahoo! and gmail accounts. The first account is the administrator, and can select the org name and the org password. The admin can whitelist up to 25 addresses for his organization. For more addresses, the user needs to use an organizational address.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hi , Is there any option to create dimensional hierarchies in Poweer BI other than Time Dimension

Hi , Is there any option to create dimensional hierarchies in Poweer BI other than Time Dimension

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Open R Script from Power BI Desktop -

Add Open R Script button from Power BI Desktop to open an existing R script file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Refresh template in existing reports

In a scenario where no SSAS Tabular Model is used, and reports are created in Power BI Desktop and published to powerbi.com, templates are great for providing a common layout and dataset. But in order to disitrbute changes to measures or other parts of the dataset, it should be possible to reapply or refresh the chosen template to an existing report, and in this way distribute changes to all related reports.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.