Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get some working space for Format pane in Power BI by hiding the Visualization pane

In Power Bi Desktop, While i am working with Format pane, I want to see an option that I can hide the Visualizations pane to the top, so that I can have place to work on Format options in a single view instead dragging down to look for all options.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow guest users to publish from Desktop to Service

It's great that we can now give guests from our parent company (different Azure) Pro licenses in our Power BI tenant.

Sadly the issue now is that of course they cannot publish from Power BI Desktop to our Service using their account / guest user.

I see this is currently by design but we really need this in place to continue our workflow as we currently do (they have to use second accounts in our domain currently).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wrap Text option in Tree map

Add option of wrap text into data labels of Tree map visual when category text is to long.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Column Header Tooltips for Tables and Matrixs

I would like to see a feature that would enable me as a developer to add a definition to column headers in tables and matrixs so users can get a description of the column and how it is calculated.

This would work best from a users perspective by a pop-up/tooltip appearing when hovering over the column header only.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to Remove Horizontal Scroll bar and shrink the bar to fit the visual, just like excel bar graph

Option to Remove Horizontal Scroll bar and shrink the bar to fit the visual, just like excel bar graph, so that we can see the entire tail spend in one visual.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Adjust Xpos, Y-pos, Height and Width right from the ribbon formatting pane

It would be real handy if we could adjust X pos, Y pos, height, and width right from the ribbon as per this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/InsightsMachine/status/1235700978613014529

(This would be better than what PowerPoint and Excel give - they don't allow you to adjust X pos and Y pos right from the ribbon)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Tooltip Option for Radar Chart Visual

I have imported the default Microsoft Radar Chart into my report. However, it does not include the Tooltip option, and as such, not able to customise the Tooltip report for this visual.

May I request that this feature is included in this visualization!

More description here:
    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Radar-Chart-Can-you-please-include-Tooltip-Option/m-p/1091583#M505569

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A friendly python console in query editor

Could be really good to have a console to try pyhton code and see the results in the query editor to see if my code is running well in some step i did of my query editor.

Sometimes I need to do things that M is not so friendly like calculate diferences between specific days hours, etc, but embeding a python script in the middle of the steps of power query is no easy and unfriendly.

Maybe for the future replace query language M for python.

Vote if you like this idea! :D

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the 60 day free trial license open to general users

The Power BI product owner and BA need to understand all the sytem requirments with respect to the environment. I'm referring to the impact of COVID 19 on the workforce. People are looosing their jobs and are spending their time do home based training to improve their marketability when returning to the workforce. Also, these unemployed people do NOT have access to their workplace email addresses for obvious reasons - security.

In my case, I'm a disabled citizen returning to work force in the government. I'm doing some training in BI and BA to improve skill sets when the federal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Why do I have to have a business email to download the free trial?

I am unemployed and would like to learn something that will help me find a new job. I don't need anything in depth.
    Could you please help me out?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Refresh Metrics to Performance Analyzer

It would be extremely useful if the new Performance Analyzer recorded metrics about what is going on during a report Refresh. We could really use some insight on what's happening during:
    - 'Evaluating...'
    - 'Creating connection in model...'
    - 'Waiting for other queries...'
    - 'Loading data to model...'

How long are queries taking to Evaluate or Load? What 'other queries' are you waiting on? Why is Evaluating taking so long?

Refresh performance is by far our biggest bottleneck and it's very difficult to analyze so this would be a very welcome addition.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Revert visual icons

It is hard to differentiate the visual icons now that they are all the same colour. I couldn't find and select a visual as quickly with the new ones. Could we please change them back to what they were before. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reorder columns in Data Preview

It should be able to ley us reorganize the table in the order we want, not in the order we create de colums, in development work, new columns appear all the time and they are related to colums that are like in the middle center of the table, but to compare results in the data view i have to put my finger in the screen and travel all the way to de end to see the other one i need, just like Excel 1997... please give us the joy to be able to organize our own bases!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When you say apply or discard changes - actually allow the user to do so!

My report is ruined. I have to start from scratch as I can't do anything without getting apply/discard alert. Apply doesn't do anything, and there is NO DISCARD in the UI. Terrible bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A quick measure to prepare addresses for mapping

A quick measure to prepare addresses for mapping

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Slicer reference in DAX formulas

In Excel Cube formulas we can reference a specific slicer when building a calculation, I'd like parameters added to DAX formulas that allow connection to a specific slicer

e.g. SELECTEDVALUE(Table[column], 0, SLICER1 )

This way a slicer could be used for a specific purpose in the UI.

example scenario:

A accountant wants to provide an expense report to customer but each customer has the same data set but a different "set" of expense account codes:

with this the accountant could provide a slicer on the UI and train users to "select" their set of account codes for expenses via a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow more granular X-axis data points than labels with Date Hierarchy

Line chart: X-Date Hierarchy, Y-Value will only display one aggregated data point per selected time granularity (e.g. Month). In order to display daily values, one has to expand all down to daily data on X-Axis, which renders too many labels (one per day) and hence is not practical.

This works as expected when X is Date (instead of Date Hierarchy).

We need the Date Hierarchy in order to compare data across years (Years in Legend) side by side on X, rather than continuous.

Please enable more granular X-Axis Date points than labels with Date Hierarchy

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Continuous-X-axis-with-monthly-labels-daily-data-categorised-by/m-p/999438#M474740

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hope the transition animation of Power BI Desktop is more smooth

The transition animation of desktop version is relatively stiff, I hope it can be as smooth as Microsoft Office.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Measure in legend

Normally there can only be one field used as a legend in a graph.
    Using a slicer to select which field you want to use as legend, one can write a measure that selects the field to use as legend based on selected value in the slicer

When it would be possible to add that Measure in legend, one can switch from one legend to an other

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Desktop Visualization's Hide for easy Access to Formatting Options

Please give an option to Hide or Collapse the below shown Visualizations Pane(in ^ direction).From a developer's point of view, in most of the cases we choose a Visual (once or at a single time) and the format the different things in it(Title, Axis, Data Labels, Data Colors, Conditional Formatting). It would be a little easy if we can see all the Format Options when the visual is selected, if needed we can Expand and choose another Visual as per the need. As there are more options in the Format Tab it makes good sense if we can hide the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.