Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement Power BI on Mac

Implement Power BI, and Office extensions on Mac OS

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deleting/copying/moving mutliple pages at once

Allow for deletion/movement/selection of multiple pages at once, as you are able to in Excel. This is critical on reports that need to be revamped.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export PowerBI Desktop report to pdf, word, powerpoint

Export PowerBI Desktop report to pdf, word, powerpoint

295 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Power BI Desktop should use the currently logged in account credentials for dataflow connections

When connecting to a dataflow in Power BI Desktop, the connection is cached like all other connections. Each connection persists the relevant tokens for their sources. However, when persisting a SQL connection, each database is cached separately, so different credentials can be used with different databases.

However, dataflows will only store the last connection to a dataflow, which makes connecting to dataflows in multiple tenants an arduous process of changeing the data connect options.

Also confusing is the fact that the account switcher control is unrelated to the dataflow credentials, leading to situations where publish shows one set of workspaces,…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Conditional Formatting Labels issue in Selection Pane

Hi,

The Conditional Formatting (CF) for Labels feature is great, been looking for that for a long time. It solves loads of my problems, however it now creates one.

In Selection Pane, the visuals with a conditional formatted label appear with that text. If you change it it completely replaces the formula for conditional formatting. I need to rename the visuals in Selection Pane so I know which is which. I remember before CF being introduced, I used to turn title on, name the visual, then turn title off so I can visualise them in Selection Pane. Which means they…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Slicer "Clear Selection" icon color attribute

I'd like to see the ability to set the color of the eraser icon (clear selection) in a slicer header to something different than the default grey.

When you use a dark color background (let's say Dark Green) with light color font (let's say medium Orange), it's very difficult for users to see the default grey eraser and clear their selections.

If some of the color setting attributes that were just added to visual headers could be brought to the Slicer header I belive the issue would be resolved.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable Publishing Power BI Reports using XMLA to Service

Reports that are using PBIP Server(XLMA) as Azure AS data source in Power BI Service is currently not supported. Enable this functionalities will let us to publish report to different App workspace which Power BI Datasets connector is not allowed to.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Grouping visuals in the selection pane like in the bookmark pane

Recently the bookmark pane got updated with the ability to group bookmarks together. I'd really like to have such a feature for the visuals in the selection pane as well. This allows users to quickly toggle the visibility of a group of visuals.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add imported theme to "Switch Theme" menu

The September 2018 desktop release made Switch Theme generally available. With it you can import a custom theme from a .json file.

Once imported, the imported theme become active, but, even though there is a theme Name in the .json file, the new theme name is not added to the menu of choices and there is no indication that the theme with that name is now active.

Please add imported themes to the menu and do something to highlight which theme is currently active.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search box when publishing

When you're a report author and probably owns a lot of workspaces, you may experience the same as I do currently. When publishing content to an app-workspace I'll get a list of all my available workspaces. It would be handy to have a search box in the window where you pick the workspace to deploy your Power BI content to.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Load custom Theme (JSON file) by default at launch

I have a JSON file with a theme that I apply to most of my reports. Right now I have to import it anew every time I launch Power BI or create a new file. It would be great if it was possible to direct Power BI Desktop to load that custom file by default at at launch

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Set format properties on new filter pane for all pages of a report in PBID with Custom Themes

Use Custom Theme Json file settings to set new Filter Pane format properties.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support Display Folders for Table Objects

Support Display Folders for Table Objects and not just columns

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When I duplicate a page, I want the new page next to the old page, instead of at the end.

Currently, a duplicated page is addes as last page in the list. This should be next to the duplicated page (or interactively with a prompt like in Excel).

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Drill through Choose the drill throughs you dont want to show

I have a report with lots of drill throughs and in some cases I'm given more Drill through reports than I would like

For example, I have a top level report and drill through to a region. I then Drill through on another category to a detail report containing all the data (Line By Line). I have a drill through to the one data item from this report. However, bycause region is also in this table I click on a row and can choose my lowest level drill through AND the Region Drill through that I clicked on earlier.

I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Textbox vertical alignment

It will be nice to align the text vertically in the Textbox. You can do it now only by adjusting the font size and the height of the Textbox.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow bookmarks and bookmark folders to be exported to pdf

The Export to pdf functionality allows us to export or print the report pages. But it would be nice if we could also print/export the bookmarks (all of them or just a folder/group)

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Tooltip for fields on the New Filter Pane

Provide the ability to add a Tooltip to items in Filter Pane (to provide guidance to users). See image at https://www.screencast.com/t/j9WmRbsvd

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Lock placement of tables in relationships pane

The ability to 'lock' where tables are manually placed on the relationships pane would be very helpful. We have created a data model with security tables, secured dimensions, unsecured dimensions, and secured fact tables. When I lay out the tables in a specific way, the design is far more understandable than when placement is auto-generated. A 'lock' type of functionality to 'freeze' the table layout would be very helpful because I can more easily locate/verify (a) specific types of tables, (b) bidirectional relationships where they should be (and shouldn't be), and (c) relationship directions are accurate.

358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Open local files (file://) directly by click on url link as with (http://)

Currently open a local file from Desktop is not possible and from browser is very tedious as explained on May 2017 update:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

"If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab"

It will be great if can be improved the way to open the files in same way as with web images or files (http://).

184 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.