Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Server Client concept

I will create a report using ODBC Connection on my local (power bi desktop) and i will save the report template. I will transfer the template to my client.

The client will open the report template and they can only able to change the ODBC Connection string and they can only view the report. Access to modify the report template should be disabled.

I need to collect the local machine details of all the user who are accessing the report.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Managed Permissions Not Retained After App Update

I have been using the manage permissions feature on datasets to restrict access to certain reports in my apps. However, every time I update an app the permissions reset.
    Even if the app is updated, please improve so that the authority is not changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. buy James Cook University fake diplomas

JCU has six colleges and one environmental research association, business school, liberal arts college, education college, engineering college, law school, and academy. how to buy James Cook University bachelor of business fake certificate where to buy James Cook University fake degree,buy James Cook University fake diplomas, order James Cook University fake certificate, purchase James Cook University fake transcript,There are research institutes in any college that include PHD, a master's degree in study and research, a diploma in research and an honours degree, and a one-year MBA. Most university courses last for three years. The school has a language center that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. publish to app - restrict access to "Analyze in excel"

it would be important for us to have the option to restrict the access to "Analyze in Excel" when publishing to an App.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Send email to all users of a report

I'd like to be able to send an email to all users who currently have access to a report, i.e. everyone the report has been shared with.

The reason is that if I make changes, add new features, change functionality etc. I'd like to send a summary of the changes to all users impacted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Show gateways outside of Power BI tenant region as it is indeed needed for the organization having offices/users across the glob

Show gateways outside of Power BI tenant region as it is indeed needed for the organization having offices/users across the glob as it is more useful with Multi-Geo premium node for administration purpose

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Tenant settings - Export data - Export Excel - Analyze Excel

Now into export data contains all the functionality, or are all active or all inactive.
    Is possible to split the tenant functionality into export data, because i want block the export file .pbix but i want to allow at user to export in Excel and the analyze Excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Status Page" in Power BI Service

Hi,

I thought of this for a while now and I think it would be great if Power BI Service had a "status page" for the Admins where they would be re-directed after each login. The page would include the list of datasets that didn't refresh in the previously scheduled times. This way, the PBI admin won't have to rely on the failed refresh notification emails to see which datasets failed or go through each workspace to check on the datasets.

Also, another helpful option would be to have on the "status" page to see which reports had been re-published,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Settings to lock parameters of Power BI Service reports

After publishing a report to Power BI Service, changing the parameter of the report will also overwrite the parameter value of the report on Power BI Service side when republishing (overwriting) in Power BI Desktop.
    If you want to specify multiple reference target data sources with parameters and want to separately specify the reference destination when creating a report in Power BI Desktop and when displaying a report in Power BI Service side, set each time in Power BI Service Will be needed.
    For this reason, you need the option to lock the parameters in the Power BI Service side…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add the Admin Portal to the Power BI Report Server on premise

Add the Admin Portal to the Power BI Report Server on premise. Like to be able to report on access and usage through built-in reports rather than building our own.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. exclusionary app groups

life would be so much easier if we could set up exclusionary groups for Apps. This way we can tell the system to allow the organization minus this group and this user base to view the app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Schedule an autodownload of pbix file for backup

It is nice to have a capability to set a schedule to download a .pbix file. In our case, we have many members that can modify a report, so this will be a good precaution if in case one accidentally replaced the dataset.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. More granularity in the Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics app

Is there any chance we will get to see metrics (granularity) at workspace/dataset level? Especially for CPU and Memory utilization. Coz, this feature/functionality really useful for business and PowerBI support team to understand which particular workspace or dataset consuming more memory and CPU.

Right now, we do see other metrics/data changes based on the selection of workspace but not CPU/Memory.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to hide "Try Pro for free" under Premium tenant

Allowing free users to try Pro for 60 days will put them under consideration that they are Pro users and once the trial ends there will be lot of questions on having their Trial back. This seems to be a marketing strategy but we need the ability to turn off the prompts asking a user to try Pro for free. Users can also create lot of content in 60 days and lose the ability to use it after 60 days trial ends.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Field properties pane in PowerBI Service

The description field in the Field properties pane is very useful when one needs to explain to the business users what is this field or measure and how they can use it. However, it can only be seen in the desktop file. When uploaded to the service, where business users usually consume reports, it can't be seen. It would be great if there is a way to pass the description information to the service.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Workspaces should have a QA/Staging environment built within the workspace instead of two workspaces for one production workspace.

Each workspace should have all three environments, dev, QA, prod built into it. Transferring dashboards & reports across workspaces via PowerShell is not a very good solution.

Dev could be done either on the desktop or the service. Only members and contributors can see content in this space. The ability to QA inside that same workspace would benefit enterprise workspaces. Only members, contributors could view the reports and dashboards.

When ready, we need the ability to then promote to prod. The app is nice, but we need multiple apps for each workspace. Admin & members should have the ability to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. restrict copy data from visuals by tenant level setting

New update that allows copy data from Table and Matrix visuals negates tenant level security setting "Export data" even if users are restricted by that setting, they still can copy paste data from within visuals, could we please have this as tenant level setting as well with exception groups facility.

Thanks,
    Ahsan Khawaja

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. About the hide setting for "Personal bookmarks"

Just in case you have a report that you don't want end users to use for bookmarks, let the administrator have the option to show or hide the "personal bookmarks" feature on the end user's screen.
    It is desirable to be able to set in the entire tenant, workspace unit, and report unit.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.