Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow or not to export to PDF hidden tabs for members

I don't want members to whom I distribute a report to be able to export the hidden tabs in pdf format (knowing that they don't have read access to them)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide installation media for older versions of PowerBI Desktop

It's not possible to uninstall older versions of PowerBI Desktop if you lose the installer .msi file for that version. You may be able to get it from 3rd party websites, but this isn't secure for obvious reasons. At least, it would be nice if the support teams were able to provide .msi installer packages for older versions so that users are able to uninstall old versions and install newer versions or the click-to-run client from the Microsoft store without having to risk infecting their computers downloading random files from the Internet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. o365 groups for RLS

ASAP need to be able to use modern o365 groups for RLS. You recently updated workspace access use O365 groups, please extend the functionality to RLS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/October18/intelligence-platform/power-bi-service/workspaces-azure-ad-groups

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. UI for manage storage does not display premium capacity storage which is 100 TB

UI for manage storage does not display premium capacity storage which is 100

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Bookmarks Update

Right now is not possible to know which objects are part of a bookmark, so every time that I need to update a bookmark I need to remember which objects were part of that bookmark, and it is a lot of work if you have many objects.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add / Remove users to an app

Hello folks, I think it is necessary to simplify the process of adding / removing users from an app, edit the app and go through the whole process to simply add or remove users is too long

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A Way to Extract Basic, Power BI Structural Information (workspaces, reports, tabs and users)

Right now I have over 25 different workspaces, 50+ different reports, and well over 300 tabs. It would be great if there was a way within the Power BI ecosystem to extract and document this information to help with master data management and data governance.

A system to extract not only what existed, but what reports existed within each workspace and what tabs existed in each report (tab names and status (hidden/unhidden), etc).

A way to document the users that had access to each workspace is also crucial as we continue to expand.

Right now this recording is manual and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. As a tenant admin I should be able to "Get more details on error faced by user"

As a tenant admin I should be able to "Get more details on error faced by user".

Currently we have to create support ticket with microsoft for nay further details on errors faced by power bi users.

As a Power bi tenant admin , I should be able to check details from Power BI tenant log about specific error by using
    Activity ID , Request ID from user error.

This will save us time to help power bi users internally.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Scheduled Refresh to continue even if only using Analyse in Excel

Currently if you only use Analyse in Excel and do not go to the Reports or Dashboards then after 2 months the overnight scheduled refresh is "paused" until you go back and visit a Report / Dashboard.

Excel combined with Power BI is an extremely effective way to provide various internal reports but currently after 2 months it suddenly "stops". Why can't Power BI continue or at least put a feature on the scheduled refresh so that it does not "pause" after 2 months!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Remove PowerPoint Default Page on Export

Please can we have functionality to remove the default page on Export to PowerPoint in PowerBI Web.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Store performance data of premium node longer than 7 days at least 1 month or longer

We need to extract information about the premium capacity for a period that is greater than the 7 days (at least 1 month) that the Power BI Premium capacity offers.

We want this information because it will allow us to see which workspace consumes the most resources from the premium capacity so that we can cross charge within our organization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A place to enter comments or descriptions (target, improvements, version,...) about the PwBI file

I did not find information about this but for people who develop dashboard/reports for other users, as my case is, it would be very useful to have a place (not visible for the final users) where I could add my comments about the target of the report, the improvements in new versions or the number of the current version in which I am working on. Something similar to a LogBook.
    Now I usually create a hidden page and add those comments in a Text box

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow users without PowerBI Pro to at least view reports/dashboards. At this point, PowerBI is unusable.

There shouldn't be a requirement for a Pro license to simply view data in a dashboard. One can view data without a special license level in Excel, so I don't understand the need for it in Power BI.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve people picker for sharing

Summary: The people picker for sharing content is too restrictive (only shows Display Name and User ID, and isn't configurable) and can potentially divulge information.

We have multiple engagement teams that provide content for internal and external customers. All users who have a Power BI license who are not in a "read-only" role, can use the people picker to share content with other users. The people picker lists all users within the organization in Azure AD. This can reveal the names, and userids, of external customers.

We would like the following:
    - to determine at the tenant level which AAD…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve controls for content sharing

We have multiple engagement teams creating content for different internal and external clients. Each team gets their own workspace(s). We need to be able to allow the engagement teams to manage sharing of their content, however we need to minimize the risk of content being shared inappropriately.

Current sharing controls are crude - they are at the tenant level and pretty much all or nothing, internal or external, caveat emptor.

We would like to be able to set broad sharing rules at the tenant level and fine-grained sharing rules at the workspace level. These would be controlled by a Power…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Implement CI/CD feature in Power BI Desktop

Would be really great if Power BI Desktop has got CI/CD feature with Azure DevOps integration just like Azure Data Factory V2 has got. This feature must be implemented in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service interfaces.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. send email to dataset users

send emails to all users of a dataset to inform them of updates. When i go to datasets > manage permissions, i'd like to be able to select some or all users and be able to send them an email. I could also select users of a specific report to send them an email on changes or updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.