Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please grant customer access to the their respective metricsdataconnector so that we can create and monitor the capacity proactively

Please have a connector in Flow which can be used to connect to respective capacity metricsdataconnector so pull data into steaming datasets.So that we can build our own alerting system proactively.This will help us making decisions well in advance without impacting PowerBI users

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power BI Deployment Wizard

The Power BI Deployment Wizard would provide a graphical interface within an app workspace to define all the required variables of the deployment including target workspace, target dataset (or copy dataset), which reports and dashboards to deploy, etc.

Additionally, the deployment wizard would optionally export out a PowerShell script reflecting the defined deployment. Thus, if the scenario reflects a common pattern or standard the team wishes to follow, the script could be reused across other deployments.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can Not Delete a Shared/Copied Dataset From Workspace

We just found that you can not delete a copied/shared dataset from a workspace after copying the report from original workspace to new workspace. The only options are to Analyze in Excel and Quick Insights. If you need to delete copied reports and datasets form a workspace that are no longer needed, there is no way to accomplish this. Please add the ability to delete copied/shared dataset.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Warning before "There's not enough memory to complete this operation" when refreshing dataset.

Lately a dataset hit the 1 GB limit (I use pro license).

It would be great with a warning "Your refresh succeeded but used over 90% memory" giving time to clean/rework the dataset before it fails.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Page level audit log

Anyone who uses Power BI and audits its logs will only be able to audit until dashboard level. The idea is to increase the level of detail to page level so that you can know which pages are beeing visited the most/least and by which users. This new information will enable you to modify your dashborads accordingly, enhance them and much more.

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to turn on and off a permission to allow Workspace users with a Viewer user type to edit or not be able to reports in the workspace

With the new workspace experience, we now have the ability to assign users as members, contributors or viewers, which is much better than the old ways. However, we do have use cases where we need someone to be able to edit a report within PBI Service, but we do not want them to be able to edit datasets, streaming datasets or dataflows. We also do not want them to be able to download a report. The best option is to set them as a Viewer, but then they can't edit the report.

If we had another user type option for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. deregister a gateway via Power Platform Admin Portal

As a tenant administrator i need to control which gateways are registered in my tenant. I can block users from creating new on premise data gateways but I can't block them from setting up personal gateways. I would like the ability to remove gateways from my tenant if I do not want them used

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Get the refresh failure notification email if the Power BI account is no O365 suscription

Current we could receive the refresh failures by email.
    But if the power BI account is the created by individual and no O365 subscription. The user could not receive it by external user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Access Requests to the workspace

The current notification of access request has a link to approve access to a report. We don't want to grant each report individually, but sometimes want to grant to the workspace that contains it. That takes time to research where the report is, then you need to navigate to the workspace security. Would be great if there were two links:
    1) Grant access to this report
    2) Grant access to the xxxx workspace

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. De-couple the disabling of "download as .pbix" from the disabling of exporting data

Right now, if you want to disable peoples' ability to download reports as .pbix files from workspaces, you have to do it for the entire tenant, and this also disables all data export from reports. Please de-couple these functions and make them report-specific.

Settings for data export are already report-specific, so that's good. Now just give tenant admins the ability to disable JUST "download as .pbix" or JUST "export data". And then make it a report-level setting for workspace admins to enable or disable the ability to download as .pbix.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Copying Reports Should Provide Access to Dataset

Microsoft added the ability to copy a Report from one Workspace to another (as requested here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15279864-ability-to-move-copy-report-dashboards-between-gro). However, when you copy the Report to the new Workspace it does not grant access to the associated Dataset. After you copy the Report to the new Workspace it does not work until you grant all the members of the new Workspace access to the original Dataset. This seems like a bug, but I opened a case with Microsoft and they said its expected behavior (which I am still finding hard to believe). Access should be automatically granted to the orginal Dataset.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow admins to look into workspaces in organization

Why should i an admin add himself to a group or workspace to be able to look into it.

often it is a concern of privacy having a admin added to your teams group(associated with powerbi) and listen to your teams conversations

please provide open access to admin's to do administration of powerbi workspaces

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve gateway table in Power Platform Admin Portal

The device name and gateway version should be included in the table and I shouldn't need to expand a flyout to see those details. Also I should be able to export to Excel/CSV.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Be able to export individual visuals

Be able to export individual visuals to other platforms such as powerpoint or excel. Being able to export and use existing visuals in other formats.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Hide Publisher's Name/Email From New Look

There should be a tenant setting in Admin controls to hide/remove the report publisher's name and email from the top of the report screen when viewing a report. I have hundreds of users looking at my reports and would rather not have my information readily available for them to all contact me.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Admin portal - Allow filtering by Workspace ID

Admin portal currently allows searching workspace only by name and that sometimes changes. Also assigning Workspace to Capacity only by name is not good, because it is not always unique. Workspace ID would be much more reliable.
    Thank you :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow us to set the default time zone for our Power BI tenant, and have a report level override

This is similar to several other ideas in the system, but this idea has a specific recommendation. It is the. It comes from the Power BI Unconference session at Microsoft Ignite 2019.

When time functions are executed in the Power BI service, they are done using UTC time. When executed in Power BI Desktop, the local time of the machine is used, and this leads to a fair bit of confusion.

This recommendation is to provide a time zone setting for the tenant, and have all time functions execute in the context of that time zone. This will would solve…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add publishing approval workflow to Power BI's published to a workspace

We have many users creating Power BI's and publishing them to workspaces. To govern what is published, it would be helpful to have a publishing workflow where a designated user, one with publishing approval permissions, can review what was uploaded before other workspace users can see it.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Auto Create a Contents Page & Be able to Arrange Report Pages / Tabs into Sections

The ability to have a content page of your power bi report & the ability to section & sub-section pages within the same report into categories.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hide Embed & Embed in SharePoint Online function in Power BI Service

Embed & Embed in SharePoint Online functions in Power BI Service are not necessary to some users. So I don't they should see those options at all. Is it possible to hide them for some users?
    I have tried the embed setting in admin portal and it did not work.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.