Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power BI Deployment Wizard

The Power BI Deployment Wizard would provide a graphical interface within an app workspace to define all the required variables of the deployment including target workspace, target dataset (or copy dataset), which reports and dashboards to deploy, etc.

Additionally, the deployment wizard would optionally export out a PowerShell script reflecting the defined deployment. Thus, if the scenario reflects a common pattern or standard the team wishes to follow, the script could be reused across other deployments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Page level audit log

Anyone who uses Power BI and audits its logs will only be able to audit until dashboard level. The idea is to increase the level of detail to page level so that you can know which pages are beeing visited the most/least and by which users. This new information will enable you to modify your dashborads accordingly, enhance them and much more.

247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to hide office 365 groups not related to PowerBI

With users being members of more and more Office365 groups, when we go in "workspaces", it would be good to be able to list only office365 groups related to PowerBi and not all office365 groups the user is a member of. Maybe use naming convention as a filter, or a setting.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Copying Reports Should Provide Access to Dataset

Microsoft added the ability to copy a Report from one Workspace to another (as requested here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15279864-ability-to-move-copy-report-dashboards-between-gro). However, when you copy the Report to the new Workspace it does not grant access to the associated Dataset. After you copy the Report to the new Workspace it does not work until you grant all the members of the new Workspace access to the original Dataset. This seems like a bug, but I opened a case with Microsoft and they said its expected behavior (which I am still finding hard to believe). Access should be automatically granted to the orginal Dataset.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. About Usage Metrics Apps

Request for an app that users can keep track of Power BI usage in their organization. The app would be better to show the usage by each department.

If I use Power BI Premium, I know that there is an app that can track usag.
    Monitor Premium capacities with the app
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-premium-monitor-capacity

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve gateway table in Power Platform Admin Portal

The device name and gateway version should be included in the table and I shouldn't need to expand a flyout to see those details. Also I should be able to export to Excel/CSV.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Power BI Tenant Metrics App for ALL workspaces in tenant

Right now, there is no current way to be able to identify which datasets are the largest in size. Not even through the Power BI Admin powershell cmdlets. As a Power BI administrator, I would love to be able to look at all my datasets across all workspaces, and look at them by not just usage, but also dataset metadata such as size, workspace, data sources, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Export user list for reports and workspaces

When creating workspaces, we cannot even copy/paste the list of users or e-mails from another workspace. Allowing export of user lists would save us the trouble of typing the e-mails one by one. I am currently managing a list of 70 users and it is a pain, what about those who have hundreds of users to manage!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Hide Embed & Embed in SharePoint Online function in Power BI Service

Embed & Embed in SharePoint Online functions in Power BI Service are not necessary to some users. So I don't they should see those options at all. Is it possible to hide them for some users?
    I have tried the embed setting in admin portal and it did not work.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add subscription send time offset relative to dataset refresh

This may be a specific problem that my team is facing but we are trying to explore the subscription capabilities to push powerbi reports out to relevant parties. We have set it up to send the subscriptions post dataset refresh once daily. Unfortunately we receive a picture of an error message instead of a picture of the report page itself. (Error message: Unable to load the model).

My suspicion is that the powerbi reports haven't had enough time to load the refreshed data model before it's being sent out through the subscriptions. (Our powerbi reports are "thin reports" that grab…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Customise Subscription Emails

At the moment, users can subscribe to a report or a dashboard and receive an email which contains a link to the report and an image of the report.

It would look so much better if you were able to configure the email layout, much like you can in Reporting Services.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. deregister a gateway via Power Platform Admin Portal

As a tenant administrator i need to control which gateways are registered in my tenant. I can block users from creating new on premise data gateways but I can't block them from setting up personal gateways. I would like the ability to remove gateways from my tenant if I do not want them used

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow admins to send notifications via Notification Center

As a Power BI Administrator, I want to be able to push rich custom notifications to all users or to a subset of users and have those notifications appear in the Notification Center. For example, if we have internal training, new support procedures, critical announcements etc I would be able to send those notifications to users via the Notification Center in Power BI

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Contact List Event Notifications

One of the features of the new workspaces is the ability to define a contact list to receive notifications of events occurring in the workspace. This feature should be enhanced to allow workspace admins to select from a menu of events including dataset refresh failures, significant increases in query volume, requests for access to artifacts in the workspace, new datasets added to the workspace, and more.

Ideally the admin would be able to associate different security groups or users with different event notifications. At a minimum, dataset refresh failures should be supported for group email notification.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Be able to export individual visuals

Be able to export individual visuals to other platforms such as powerpoint or excel. Being able to export and use existing visuals in other formats.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hide Publisher's Name/Email From New Look

There should be a tenant setting in Admin controls to hide/remove the report publisher's name and email from the top of the report screen when viewing a report. I have hundreds of users looking at my reports and would rather not have my information readily available for them to all contact me.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. De-couple the disabling of "download as .pbix" from the disabling of exporting data

Right now, if you want to disable peoples' ability to download reports as .pbix files from workspaces, you have to do it for the entire tenant, and this also disables all data export from reports. Please de-couple these functions and make them report-specific.

Settings for data export are already report-specific, so that's good. Now just give tenant admins the ability to disable JUST "download as .pbix" or JUST "export data". And then make it a report-level setting for workspace admins to enable or disable the ability to download as .pbix.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automation of publishing workspace

Currently to publish a workspace as App is manual. We can automate publishing of reports to workspace but updating the app requires manual work.
    It would be great to have full automation of report publishing to workspace and app update.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. About capacity calculation

At present, in order to confirm the capacity used by oneself, it is necessary to confirm and summarize the usage of personal storage and group storage.
    I want a method to check the usage status of all capacity at once.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.