Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drill through to another report refresh with Live connection

Currently the drill through functionality to another report doesn´t seem to work correctly for Live connections. The first time works, but when going back and changing the drill through, the target report doesn´t refresh automatically. This is confusing for end users, because you don´t always realize that the data have not been refreshed. The Power BI support team acknowledged this problem and proposed I create a ticket in the "Idea" category. It seems more like a bug to me then anything else, but hereby the idea to make the drill through to another report functionality always refresh the target report…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Personalized Bookmarks

The current bookmarking feature requires report creators to define bookmarks. Ideally, users would be able to save personalized bookmarks (similar to web browser) in addition to the author's pre-defined bookmarks.

For example, I might have a project management report or sales by stores. Each user of the report may have their own set of projects or stores that they want to quickly navigate between. These are relevant to the current users and not other users of the reports.

1,159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drill through that considers slicer/filter context of a parent visual

The current drill through capability does not appear to consider an active filter/slicer value for a visual unless the dimension being filtered is included in the parent visual. I think it would be helpful if it did.

For example; a table of customers subject to a slicer for specific stores should pass on both the customer and store values if these dimensions are both listed as drill through filters.

872 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export to PowerPoint with filters applied

PowerPoint Export to take into account filters that have been applied to the report prior to export. This is essential for users which need to filter on historic dates and then wish to export the report with those details.

1,485 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

175 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Subscribe *others* to emails of reports

Extend the email subscription feature, currently in public preview, to enable subscribing *others* to email snapshots of reports.

More information about the existing email subscriptions feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/preview/

1,035 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Include report filters in Drillthrough action

As much as I like the new Drillthrough actions, it seems a bit lacking in that it does not also pass through any report filters that are active on the source report on the source report.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow customization of email subscription schedule

Extend the existing email subscription feature to allow me to specify exactly *when* the email is sent out - e.g. send me the email at 2pm every Monday.

More information about the existing feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

803 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Expose tab order as a property of visuals for keyboard navigation

Users that consume Power BI reports with keyboard navigation (including screen readers) can tab through the visuals on a report page, but the tab order seems to be the order in which the visual was placed on the page by the report designer. So if I make a page and put two charts on the bottom row, a title text box at the top left, and a table on the top row, that is the tab order. I would like to be able to change a property to make the tab order go from title to table to chart 1…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Totals

I use to work with matrix , I need to replace de text "Total" instead of another text, Ex: "Total Gross Profit"

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and Matrixes

More flexible Conditional Formatting in Tables and matrixes.
    The current color customization in tables is very limiting. I need more than 3 color choices.
    I should be able to add multiple values and assign colors to each.

410 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the creation of this idea back in 2016, we have added much more flexibility to conditional formatting.

Two particularly powerful updates include…
    Format based on rules: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2017-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Format based on another column: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#conditionalFormatting

Of course we will continue adding even more functionality to conditional formatting, but this idea now to generic to be useful. There are many specific conditional formatting ideas on this site, so please, if we are still missing something you need, vote on it so we can continue to add valuable updates for you!

11. Allow configurable gap width between columns/bars in all of the Column/Bar Chart types

Without control over spacing of columns and bars, data labels can overlap each other and aesthetically, the chart looks cramped.

Please add a configurable spacing parameter like the "gap width" in Excel charts to allow for better visual control.

484 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Under the x-axis card in the formatting pane, you have several settings that can help with this.

Minimum category width lets you force the bars to be wider, enabling more readable data labels (but more scrolling).

Maximum size lets you increase the percentage of the visual the axis labels will take up, which can make the visual more readable if the labels are long.

And finally inner padding controls the gap between the bars in proportion to the bar size.

Using a combination of these features to enable to you make the labels on your visuals readable.

12. Visual level filtering in slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.
    Currently, this is not possible while it is an implemented feature for other chart types.
    I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

2,830 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

147 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to say this is now complete! In the June 2019 release of Power BI Desktop you’ll see you can set visual level filters on slicers. There’s one known issue where applying a measure filter to a slicer in range mode causes the visual to show an error. We’ll release a fix in an interim update before the July release.

Thanks for your patience and your votes, everyone!

13. export excel

Export a report directly in Excel (not only via csv file)

1,142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Exporting to Excel from Power BI is supported. You have two options for exporting your data to Excel:

14. single selection slicer

The ability to configure a slicer to only be able to select one attribute at a time - similar to a radio button. I would like to disable the ability for people to either choose select all or choose multiple slicers.

1,434 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allows Slicers to apply to all Pages of a Report

As has been partly implemented with Filters, it would be very useful to have slicers that could apply to all pages of a report. This would allow users to interact more easily.

4,695 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

512 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The most exciting news so far this year! In the February release of Power BI Desktop we’ve shipped the ability to synchronize slicers on different pages in your report! You can read more about how the feature works here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2018-feature-summary/#syncSlicers

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback and votes on this feature. We do listen to you so keep voting and let us know what other things you need us to prioritize.

16. Slideshow in Full Screen/TV mode

The ‘Full Screen mode’ could become more useful for presenting reports on dedicated large screens if it became just a bit more dynamic. Whilst it is currently possible to scroll through report sheets by clicking the arrows in the bottom right corner, it would be most valuable to be able to automate such browsing. A solution could be to introduce a “Play” button that starts a slideshow scrolling through the available report sheets according to a customizable time interval.

2,681 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Turn off tooltip and remove default tooltip

Ability to turn off tooltip and ability to remove the default tooltip (ie the columns used to create the visual).

371 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. conditional formatting in matrix

I need to have the possibility to add conditional formatting in Matrix chart as we can do in Cross table in Excel.
    Thanks

248 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. More control over report Filters Pane - Hide certain filters from users

When designing reports, I frequently find myself dealing with two types of filters:

1. Internal or "technical" filters that are required to make the report work correctly (for instance, a Current Week filter if it's a "Current Week" report)
    2. Fields added to the filter pane explicitly for users to be able to interact with them.

The latter is quite important as interactive filtering by highlighting only works for one visual at a time.

Now, the fact that both types of filters necessarily show up in the filter pane, and are exposed to users, is really limiting.

At best, users…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Matrix Measures or Values on Rows instead of Columns

We need Matrix’s to have the ability to move Measures or Values to rows instead of Columns. This is a definite must have!!! I was in the process of doing a pilot roll out of Power BI to my management team and when this question came up it was a huge miss and got a tremendous amount of groans. This is an everyday view we use and really need this for Power BI to cover the basics. I love the program but we really need this. Please help!

To elaborate, if I have sales, quantity sold, asp (average sales price),…

1,358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

128 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.