Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. URL as function for buttons

Please add the possibility to enter URL's as a function/action for buttons/images. This way it would be very easy to, for example, place links to related websites (i.e. sources) and a button to toggle to a "fullscreen-mode" (?chromeless=1).

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve RLS Implementation Process to add fail safe

Current RLS implementation has a dependency on the security rule being applied in both directions. This requires a check-box to be selected when implementing the RLS. The issue this causes is that if, accidentally, this box isn't ticked RLS will not work, potentially exposing all data.

Please look at implementing a fail safe to ensure RLS is enabled on a report when published as intended or implement a way for it to fail safely. Currently, if RLS fails all data is exposed. Ideally, we would want no data to be exposed in the case of a failure.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ability to rename a query item (field) in a dataset

Power BI should be able to propagate changes in fields (eg. rename of 'customer_name' to 'customer_full_name') in a dataset to all the reports using this dataset in powerbi service.

This functionality is essential if Power BI is to be used as a Self Service BI tool, which allows users to define their own reports based on the dataset.

Currently a change of fieldname will cause existing reports to fail.

possible solutions I can think of :
    1. every query item is identified by an internal id, and every report refers to this internal item id (instead of the item name).…

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow export of summarized data

Power BI leads the user to believe it is possible to export summarized data at the level of the current view. In fact, the result of [Matrix grid] > Ellipsis > Export data is that data is exported at the lowest level of the drill-down path.

In one case, I am viewing 4 rows of data in my matrix grid (drilled up to the top level of the data hierarchy). When I export to xlsx, i get over 15,000 rows of data (summarized at the lowest level of my data hierarchy).

Users should be able to export data at the…

115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. hierarchy filter in the new filter pane

Would be nice to have hierarchy filter in the new filter pane

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Row based filter at Page level

Stealing this from Tobias Owen on the Feature Summary Blog

The ability to hide pages is brilliant, thank you! Is it possible to apply Row-Level Security to whole pages so that they can be dynamically hidden for some users but not for others?

415 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Private Comments

New feature of comments in Reports is really nice and of great value.

Sometimes though comments should not be visible to anyone with access in report.

It might me a good idea to create an option box for sharing comments only with account tagged.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Single-click drillthrough

The current method of using "drillthrough" is tedious and not obvious.

I propose a new implementation of drillthrough: single-click. Instead of right-clicking on a row, table or visual and selecting form a context menu, let's have the ability to setup a row, table or visual as a single-click drillthrough.

349 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. tool tip - embed in report

Current state - use customized tool tip when hovering over table data

Enhancement request - drag and drop tool tip visuals that are permanently placed on the report. So when you hover over the table data, the tool tip visuals display in the space you designate on the report.

How this helps - It will provide flexibility on the size of the tool tip visual you want to display (currently it's confined to a designated size). If you want a larger or smaller spaced tool tip visual it will display. Also, you can then have multiple tool tip visuals with…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Disable automatic visual level filters

Hi,

we get frustrated by the fact that on visuals, every single field added to the visual creates an automatic visual level filter set to ALL. In the new filter pane (and the old filter experience for that matter), it clutters up the user with a ton of filters that have absolutely no value because they aren't actually filtering anything.

We would like a setting so that the only time visual level filters would show up would be IF and ONLY IF they are actually filtering something - i.e. in the 99% of cases where we're not applying a specific…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Drill through to another report refresh with Live connection

Currently the drill through functionality to another report doesn´t seem to work correctly for Live connections. The first time works, but when going back and changing the drill through, the target report doesn´t refresh automatically. This is confusing for end users, because you don´t always realize that the data have not been refreshed. The Power BI support team acknowledged this problem and proposed I create a ticket in the "Idea" category. It seems more like a bug to me then anything else, but hereby the idea to make the drill through to another report functionality always refresh the target report…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable syncing of Page Filters across multiple pages

The latest (Nov 2018) release of Power Bi Desktop had some really neat improvements to the Filter pane.
    One missing item is the ability to sync Page level filters across multiple (not ALL) pages.

One can achieve this using Slicers but slicers take up space you have to completely hide it.

Allowing Page level Filters to sync across selected pages will therefore ensure it can be used in scenarios where the filter needs to be applied to multiple but NOT ALL pages.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. order new filter experience

The new filter experience is great as it offers more visibility over the selected filters on a page or for each visuals.

However, this would be great to be able to re order the filters manually rather than alphabetically.
    For example, if my filter pane contains the filters: Country / State / City, the filter pane displays City / Country / State which is not intuitive.

Also, it would be great to be able to drag and drop an entire hierarchy to the pane so that we do not have to do it for each individual filters.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to Disable option for user to export hidden tabs (PDF & PowerPoint)

Can we please have the ability to REMOVE the option for the user to export hidden tabs. Maybe within a Report's Settings (or even tennant Admin Portal) have a setting for "Allow/disable users to export hidden tabs"

The issue i'm facing is that a number of my reports have hidden tabs that contain either tooltips, drill-through pages or WIP pages and I hate the thought that users of my reports can see those pages if they choose to "include hidden pages' in an export to PDF or PowerPoint.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to wrap text in button feature for button text visualization

It would be great if we can text wrap lengthy button text. Sometimes for consistency with slicer we need to have same dimensional for button as slicer. Due to which button lengthy text isn't visible in button

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Standard Usgae Metrics Reports

Need functionality to create standard usage metrics report that can show data for all reports across workspaces. Currently, metrics reports are valid only for same workspace/report but if it can be extended to all then it will be very helpful in monitoring the usage of dashboards/reports at Organization level with just one usage metrics report.

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Folders in Workspace

Folders in workspaces foster hierarchical organization within workspaces. Currently, you can create workspaces but each report is on the same level within those workspaces. You as administrator can't organize them and users that have access to those workspaces have to scroll through multiple reports.

Seems like a very Microsoft feature that folks would use and like!

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Conditional formatting in matrix by field doesn't work with data bars

Please add the ability in conditional formatting to show "Data bars" based on a different field. Just like you can show "Background color" or "Font color" based on a field you can choose. At this moment it is not consistent behaviour and I really need this for managementreporting as I want to show the numbers in the columns but show the bars based on a percentage that is spend.

Lots of love!

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Usage metrics in new workspace

Hello,
    I'm really missing usage metrics in new Power-BI workspace.

Based on the article
    [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces#planned-new-app-workspace-preview-features]

the implemenation is planned. Could this be prioritized?

Thanks
    Martin

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Synchronize scrolling between two graphs

I have two graphs with the same time period along the x-axis and displaying the same attributes but with two measures. I would like to be able to synchronizes the horizontal scrolling so that as the user scrolls through time they can visually compare the two measures between the top and bottom graph.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.