Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power Insight for Power BI

Create an area on a report designer or dashboard for each location or report on the dashboard that if the user clicks on it, it would bring up an Insight window explaining what is on that report/dashboard. What insights can be gained from viewing the data. What are things to watch out for, etc. this allows the report builder / dashboard content organizer to help the user understand the data they visualize. This is nothing more than a popup box with free-form text that allows the report writer to customize the message they want to convey to the consumer of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow superfine grain on X-Axis of a chart

Allow 100 or more data points on an X-Axis without requiring the user to scroll left/right.

Labels on the X-Axis can be dropped or thinned to allow. But can have higher resolution detail on the shape of the graph lines

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Ability to duplicate a Report slide similar to PowerPoint

I would like to create a report slide and then duplicate it similar to PowerPoint functionality. This would allow minor tweaks to be applied to existing visualizations without having to rebuild them again in another slide.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. New regional or fill map object needs help

Got data for all counties in New York. I tried to create a map to shade the counties by the value. However, the new mapping feature doesn't know what counties are in New York. It's best guess put Albany in Wyoming and a few in Germany.

The UI needs to allow users to set what is being geo-located. Since the field for Location is a multi-value field, it would make sense that I could define "State" to equal a State value and "County" to equal the fill-column. This would put Albany county back in New York.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Look at Domo

Please look at the features of what Domo has. That was an awesome product they put together. Especially being able to create a store and collobarate with users.

Quality of dashboard and functionality are of very high quality and have a lasting impression and keep the product ahead of others

domo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to indicate filtered data by breaking line in line chart

Ability to indicate filtered data by breaking line in line chart

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Power Preview for Power BI

this is something similar to the scroll on the BING.COM homepage toward the bottom. so imagine I am a visitor to a main page where there are many links to other Power BI sites. I can use the quick preview link on the bottom to preview the sites. Also, this can be used in the Power BI Designer where I can quickly preview the Power BI dashboard that I am building before it is being deployed. I want to preview to see what it looks like if I were to deploy the content.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show the report name in view and edit mode

Show the name of the report alongside the dashboard name in the "status bar" while in view and edit mode

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. numeric data can be on a gradient when it is set as color

Basically if you had data with a lot of discreet numbers, when you set it to be the color variable, set a gradient of red to green for example of lowest to highest, instead of random discreet colors for each value.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Limits

A limit addition to bar and line graphs to show thresholds. Options could include a set limit, moving average, and an operating range.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Categorical axis on scatterplot

Is there any way to put categorical values on scatterplot's axis? It's fine to disable "play" axis for this situation. This helps to identify correlations among categorical values.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Swipe/Gestures support for reports

Ability to swipe between multiple report pages. There should be recommendation for gesture.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Unmapped Geographic Names

There should be a mechanism by which powerview tells me how many of my geographical names are not mapped. I should be able to see such names also.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Have the option to add data tables for different charts

http://xlsxwriter.readthedocs.org/en/latest/_images/chart_data_table2.png

By having data table with charts, we don't need to apply filters on both table and chart but only 1 chart-table combo; we don't need to worry about aligning and scrolling a table and a chart at the same time; we can have legends on data table, which is impossible if we have table and chart separate

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Be able to shows Data Menu on the left

When I drag in a dimension, shows measures on the left menu. When I drag in a measures, give users the dimension select on the left menu.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a really interesting idea Michael, thanks! The ability to ‘guide’ users with a prompt that shows them the measure or dimensions they can use on a particular visual would help them understand how to build the charts they need. Everyone can keep voting on this if they think it would be useful for them too!

16. Filter Pane Applied/Show/Hide/Lock Filters Bookmark Interaction

Currently bookmarks interact with the filter pane being open/closed/visible and what filters are applied (if the Data option is selected). Especially with live connections, it would be helpful to be able to bookmark which filters in the pane are shown/hidden/locked/unlocked.

For example, we have a model with both order information and invoicing information with separate date dimensions for each. In order to use filters on a summary type page showing either orders or invoices and controlled by bookmarks, I would want to be able to hide the booking filters when on the invoicing bookmark and vice versa so that users…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. New Filter Pane: Expand & Collapse sections

Allow users to Expand & Collapse the sections in the Filter pane. This will make it easy to see if the filter is a visual level, page level or report level filter. It would be even better if we could also add custom sub-sections within these sections to organise and enhance the user experience.

Ensure The Sections are highlighted (allow custom formatting as with the fields) to indicate if there are any applied filters within the section.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bookmarks tied to Filters

Allow bookmarks to be controlled by filter. So instead of using a button, the filter would trigger the action. I have some data points that are seasonal, and would like to replace them with another visualization when filtered to a timeframe when they are inactive. For example: if measuring KPI "A" as a % in April, but measuring KPI "B" as a total sum for all other months; I would like to be able to utilize 2 different visualizations in the same position that would switch whenever the Month filter is on April.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support more than one URL in a field

If you have a field with more than one URL, than Power BI concatenates the URL's; this is undesired behavior.
    It would be nice that a link is recognized even if there are more than one in a field.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Running total for declared date range

As of right now there are YTD and MTD functions, as well as a DAX function which computes a running total for all time, but we are looking for a means of calculating a running total for a declared date range.

That is to say, this would be a solution if we wanted to see what the running total was for June of the previous year to April of the current year.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.