Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Teradata Connector: New (Improved) Connector To Eliminate Duplicate Query to Teradata when Refreshing Native Database SQL Code Based Query

When executing queries with Native Database Queries (with User written / supplied SQL code), Power BI will EXECUTE the same, full length, SQL-based query TWICE against Teradata. This puts extra burden on the Teradata system's resources (CPU, Memory, I/O, etc.) and utilization. When large volume of Power BI reports are deployed and have regularly scheduled refreshes against Teradata, the overhead of performing duplicate queries would cause the company to have to upgrade the Teradata system sooner than if the SQL-based queries were to execute more efficiently.

The request is for a new (improved) Teradata Connector to be developed to address…

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. There should be a way for user to choose None as Retention Policy

When i create a dataset from Stream Analytics there is no option to choose None for Retention Policy. So the dataset is created default with BasicFifo with only 200 000 rows. This is to few for us. There should be a way to either when creating the dataset to be able to choose none. Or a way to change it afterwards.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow XMLA access to Pro content

Now only premium, would allow power bi to drive star schema/dimensional modeling concepts to Tableau users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Option to restrict mode of connection

For certain data sources, it would be good to restrict the mode of connection (Import/Direct/Live). This is to enforce governance on managed data sources.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Paylocity connector

Please add connector to Paylocity.
    https://www.paylocity.com/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. A new connector in PowerBI to get data from Azure Data Factory

A new connector in PowerBI to get data from Azure Data Factory into PowerBI.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support Dynamic functions

Support Dynamic functions in Power BI Online and Dataflow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Power BI custom Data refresh order

It would be better if Microsoft includes this custom data refresh while refreshing Power Bi dataset. Lets say I have written 3 direct queries in power bi to import data from 3 different server. But I want my Dataset-1 should refresh 1st and after that Dataset-3 and there after Dataset-2.
    Thanks in Advance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Call APIs using Python

Python is really good at calling APIs, and it actually gives you alle the functionality you need to call APIs no matter encryption method and format.

I would be happy to see libraries like the following supported in PBI Service:
    - requests
    - hashlib
    - hmac
    - base64
    - datetime
    - time
    - xml.etree.cElementTree

requests enable you to call almost any type of APIs, and the other libraries are really handy (and often mandatory) for encoding/decoding and formatting.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to do all this in Power Query SDK, and I don't see why you would continue…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add ability to add the Power BI user id as a comment in SQL Queries

Add the optional ability to dynamically insert a comment with the current Power BI user id in the SQL query for relational data sources that support comments. Many relational data sources support comments in the format / Power BI User: xxxxxxxx /. This would allow database administrators to determine the user id issuing the SQL Query when users are using shared credentials. This should work in Power BI desktop and in the Online service/gateway.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Nearmap Integeration

Allow integration of Nearmap as source of base map for Power BI

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. independet refresh of data sources

Please, Enable individual refresh on specific data sources when a report opens (not necessarily all of them). Many thanks for the great work!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to change live connection to Any shared Dataset

To use the functionality of Shared Datasets, the option of changing the data source in Live connection should enable us to connect to existing datasets in older reports. Currently, we need to connect to the shared dataset and redo the existing reports

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for BigQuery BI Engine

Google Cloud has BigQuery BI Engine in Beta. Support was announced for Google DataStudio and Looker. PowerBI should leverage BigQuery BI Engine in order to access native, intelligently cached datasets without requiring a data transfer to PowerBI.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Connect Power BI directly to Forms

Currently, the only ways I know to visualize Forms data in PBI is to use Flow or embed the form on a website. Being able to connect PBI directly to a Forms data responses would make creating a report much easier and efficient.

(You can connect to Survey Monkey but you can't connect to Forms. Doesnt seem right)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. QueryFolding for Microsoft Exchange Connector

PQ applies filters to exchange data after it's loaded, which can be several GBs with shared mailboxes such as a customer service mailbox. Please evaluate incorporating query folding to reduce this overhead.

To answer simple questions such as "how many unread emails are in folders", all history & archives are refreshed by PQ then filtered. Causing overhead & timeout in some cases https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Microsoft-Exchange-Issue/td-p/595725

An example of the above "number of unread emails" would be "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/me/messages?$filter=isRead eq true" which can be tested in https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/graph-explorer

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PowerBI connector for Microsoft Graph

Add PowerBI connector for Microsoft Graph with oAuth authentication or another direct connector to Azure AD.

Details are described at the discussion https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Error-getting-OData-from-Microsoft-Graph-Access-to-the-resource/idi-p/430087

209 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Reports which the same data set across multiple workspaces

I ran into an issue with access on the server for my report users.

Background:
    I have some relatively large data-sets and I'm leveraging the ability to use a single data-set across multiple reports. Today I brought one of these child-reports (if you will) into a new workspace. The permissions in the workspace of the home/parent data-set are different from those of the workspace where the child-report was located. Users in the workspace of the child-report saw a permissions issue for the new report I had published. To fix the issue, I had to update the permissions of the parent…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Proxy value for Snowflake Connector

Within Power Bi Desktop Snowflake connector give users the option to enter proxy information in order to connect to the Native Connector. This option is available in ODBC and is sometimes needed in order to make the connection to Snowflake.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. share dataset across different workspaces

There should be a way to share datasets across the different workspaces. This may be loaded to a global environment and related to capacity, it would use the capacity based on which workspace accesses it.

The benefit of this is to maintain some master datasets with calculations within them which can be joined to data from individual departmental data. Moreover this will eliminate the need of Analysis services and creating a refresh mechanism for it.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Sources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.