Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable bookmarking of dropped pins & drivetimes in ArcGIS Maps

If a user wants to drop a pin for the attention of a colleague, is there a way of sharing the report with pins similar to the bookmark function?

We want to use the map for site analysis and enable end users to share their analysis and proposal easily

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shareable Enterprise Quick Measures

Create a second set of measures that can be stored as shareable Quick Measures using named Users. Will help propagate standardization, knowledge sharing, staff efficiency and consistency across the enterprise

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Providing links to visuals.To be able to link text to visuals in Power BI.

If we can provide hyperlink to text in Power BI. Hyperlink should take us to to the visual whose link is provided. It will be great if we can get this feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow Admins to subscribe users to a dashboard/report

It would be nice for the creator of reports to be able to create user subscriptions in their organizations (instead of relying on users to subscribe). I've added a lot of users to an app but still only have a small subset of users actually using it. I think it would help drive adoption of the tool (at least in my org).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adoption  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mention someone in comment to send email/chat linking back to specific visual/bookmark

It would be super helpful to be able to mention someone in a comment to send an email and/or Teams chat notification with a link back to the specific report visual/bookmark.

Please also try and align this user experience with Excel and across Office 365.

Excel: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/16832272-allow-me-to-mention-someone-to-send-simple-notifi

O365: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/264636-general/suggestions/19592158-add-mention-function-in-comments-in-all-online-of

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Can't sign up with my outlook.com work email address. Can't test, so won't recommend PowerBI to clients. Tableau instead. Your loss, sorry.

Microsoft, lots of us solo preneurs drive adoption. Ridiculous that I can't sign up with my only work email address of outlook.com. No wonder my clients have never even heard of Power BI. I drive many Tableau implementations, and would have liked to compare with Power BI. If it's good, I'd recommend it. But I would never recommend or even mention something that I haven't tested end to end. Thus, Power BI will not even be in the conversation with my clients because I can't sign up for an account. Foolish, artificial barrier that ends up hurting you.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Organizational Governance of User Capabilities and Content

Administrators need a way to manage numerous key aspects of Power BI.
    Creating an App from a workspace and sharing that application to the entire organization is great. However, it requires all users to have access to Power BI. As much as we would like our users to use Power BI correctly without any centralized governance it is not practical.
    Users should be able to view apps/reports/dashboards shared with them but Administrators should be able to:
    1) Control who can create an artifact in Power BI (even within their "My Workspace")
    2) View and manage (delete, move, rename, etc) all…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I have an older version of excel (32-bit) and your solution to reload the 32-bit Power BI would be great EXCEPT there is no way to do that f

I have an older version of excel (32-bit) and your solution to reload the 32-bit Power BI would be great EXCEPT there is no way to do that from the page where I am downloading the trial version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. User Flow for Usage Reports

I would like to know the user flow of each user using the report. Basically, to know in what sequence they use the report, to understand the story/questions the user is looking for.

If you can provide the above at tile level instead of page level it would be mindblowing!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. publish content packs and apps permission to apply to all apps

it looks like there's a new tenant level setting "Publish Content Packs and Apps to the Entire Organization" - but it only works if the app is published to the entire organisation. Can you please make this apply to all apps, regardless of which groups (or not) they're published to? Most of my clients' apps are published to specific groups, which is probably the way more common use case.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. OneNote FAQ for reports that are shared via Apps

Ability to share a OneNote notebook with the users of the app. It would be useful for guides to the datasets, reports and datasets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. contact users of database

I have a dashboard that is only refreshed once a month to update for the new monthly forecast data.

My users are still pretty new to PowerBi and so they don't automatically think to go check the dashboard. Can we add a way to contact (e-mail) everyone who has access to a dashboard? I would like to send out a note saying it has been updated, give them the link again (because they probably forgot how to access it), and let them know about any improvements or changes I've made during the month.

I can do this in outlook, but…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. More support for older operating systems

Report Server requires Windows 8 and above, and Automatic updates to desktop by Microsoft Store requires Windows 10.
    Not much use for public sector who are all using Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Border for the selected Dataset, Report

Hi, for example i have an app with five different reports, all having role level security. when i check through the reports to add different people to the security (role level) i dont see where i am or working on atm. this gets very confusing the more reports i have.
    So a border around the selected dataset or report on the side would be nice

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use Power BI to report on this Power BI Ideas Site

My suggestion applies to this site in general. I'd like to see which top ideas were implemented and which ones were not. So a way for you to be transparent with how much you are listening to your users. Wouldn't it be great if you had a reporting tool you could embed in this site to show thru some good visualizations? Hint, hint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow full screen report with no tack ons

As Dashboard functionality is severely limited, the only way to build a seriously attractive "dashboard" is as a Report. This generally involves using a custom background and works best when presented in absolute full screen.

No Page bar, no Filters bar, no navigation (although it would be nice to be able to self place navigation elements on the report itself). Please allow these to be turned off/on as desired.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Separate group ownership from group membership

Our company reporting structure changes frequently and our BI team needs to be able to leverage the "Reports To" field of Azure AD Premium to dynamically determine group Membership. Individuals on our BI team must be able to possess Ownership, sans Membership, of multiple groups so that they can manage Power BI content for multiple workspaces. Currently, membership in multiple groups would require the BI team to "Report to" multiple people within the organization, which is not reflective of the typical business environment and is not an enterprise level solution. To enable company-wide adoption of Power BI, Group Ownership should…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. more export options and automatic emails

I am researching potential Reporting & Analytics tools for my company and find that Power BI has a lot of potential but does not yet have features that we find necessary such as non-image exports and automatic emails. I find it quite disappointing that I am unable to find an actual contact to discuss what Power BI can do, and what is coming in the future and when.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sort the currency format list by country

Try to find a specifc currency format isn't practice through language. Use the country as sort parameter. Will be faster.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add the new matrix visual to Power BI Service

The new matrix visual in Power BI Desktop that allows you to slice on individual fields is nice but should be added to the service to allow for a seamless process when you publish from Desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.