Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create Viewer Access Role

I have many end users who should remain as such. End users. They should be able to consume content period. Having this limited access will not allow them to edit, alter, delete, update, etc. They should also not be able to download content in a PBIX file as they won't be permission-ed to connect to the original data sources only. This would be very helpful to have, particularly in the new apps where I have various levels of users interacting with the published content, some who truly need read-only access (particularly in B2B situations where we publish data to external…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rename publish to web

The publish to web feature, while useful, leads to confusion around those new to platform and possibly non native English speakers. The terminology "publish to web" can be confused by instructions to publish report from desktop to web service, which is fine. Publish to web exposes sensitive business data if author is not careful. While there is a secure option that will be coming soon, I propose renaming the feature to "Publish to Public". The term public is a bit clearer as to the audience. Alternative option could be "publish to public web", just something to allow users/businesses to clearly…

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Releative Date Slicer / UTC issue.

I know I can change my data to be reflected in UTC but then i suddenly show, for example, Invoices paid Septmeber 30th as being paid in October. this is so wrong!

You simply need to change PBI where date slicers are reflecting local time and not UTC. I cannot display all of our financial data improperly (as UTC).

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tooltips for buttons

Since the July release it is possible to use tooltips on tables.
    It would be great if this option can be used on buttons in the action section.
    Now we have 'Back', 'Bookmark' and 'Q&A'
    Is it possible to add 'Tooltip' for buttons, so it's possible to use (for example) an info button, which shows information about the current report or visual for customer purposes?

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Publish a Power BI Roadmap

Currently there does not seem to be a roadmap for Power BI. This makes it very hard to plan implementations, as meetings tend to end up with someone saying "Microsoft must know this is a winning feature. I can't believe it's not on their roadmap."

As the person who has to turn the stakeholders dreams into a Power BI reality, this leaves me feeling uneasy, as I can name at least half a dozen must have features that we still don't have.

225 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Read Only Access to Relationship View in Thin Workbooks

My definition of a thin workbook is when you connect Power BI to a tabular server. This can be SSAS Tabular or the Power BI Service (golden dataset as covered here https://exceleratorbi.com.au/new-power-bi-reports-golden-dataset/)

When you use Power BI Desktop as a thin workbook, you cannot see the relationship view or the data view. While this makes sense (they are not editable), it means that it is very difficult for someone to write local measures. It is not possible to accurately write a local measure unless the relationships between the tables are visible.

Please add the relationship view so the end…

210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. create multiple apps from same workspace

create multiple apps from same workspace infect from same Dataset without replicating the dataset multiple times.
    only option we have now is to update the app and only one app per workspace can be created which a kind of restrict the workspace usability.
    If we can create multiple apps share it with different users without creating multiple workspace ... means same dataset no dataset replication, will save the storage as well.

1,403 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

136 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Better organization of visuals in Office Store

Please add better metadata and sorting abilities to the visualizations in the Office Store. Allow visuals to be sort by last updated, created date, rating, etc and expose these metadata elements on the main screen so that you can see them without clicking into the visual.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug- In PBI Desktop, when typing a title, the cursor jumps from the title text box to another point on the page. This happens everytime when

This is a bug report since I couldn't find an easy way to report bugs from the PBI desktop nor the website. In PBI Desktop, when typing a title, the cursor jumps from the title text box to another point on the page after so many characters are typed. This happens everytime when I am trying to type in a title. Please fix.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Power BI Home: let users pin tiles to Home

the selection in Power BI Home is based on usage, but sometimes user behaviour shows that a dashboards is being looked at and then you jump into a different report. Let users decide what is important to them and let them be able to pin it to Home, (from APPs and from Workspaces!)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Visual Export to Excel

Please upgrade/include the below mentioned feature in "export to excel" option.

* Export Table or Matrix or Any Visuals to excel with the same look as it is in the PBI report/dashboard.

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Property to toggle visibility of show data option on visuals that have that option

I'd like the ability to toggle the show data option for visuals. The reason being is that we have sensitive data that cannot be shown but the visual (in this case the chloropeth map) is the best to do a comparison against a client. Putting an invisible box over the visual prevents the tooltips from showing up.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. subworkspace

Hi,
    It will be very nice to by able to create subWorkspace Inside a workspace. Exemple :
    Finace Departement > France
    > UK
    > usa
    This will avoide to create thousands for workspaces. :)
    regards

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Export data model to xml for metadata import into Idera ER/Studio, ERwin and Informatica EDC

Power BI should have the ability to export a data model from a report to xml for metadata import into data modeling tools such as Idera ER/Studio and ERwin, and Data Catalog tools such as Informatica EDC and Azure Data Catalog. This functionality will help an Enterprise to have full visibility of its data assets at data model and at catalog level.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. ISALL or ISTOTAL DAX Function

There needs to be an "ISALL" or "ISTOTAL" DAX function that would return TRUE if the DAX is being calculated in a total row of a matrix or table visualization, for example, and FALSE otherwise. This would make creating measure totals far easier than using HASONEVALUE OR ISINSCOPE where you need to specify individual columns. This is very important for self-service BI in order to protect users that are not aware of the quirks of DAX measure totals.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to move the visual title to the bottom of the visual instead of the top

Sometimes I want to add the title of the visual at the bottom of the visual. For example, when adding a title to an image in some cases it's more intuitive for the user to read the title / comments at the bottom.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. New Filter Experience - suppress counts after values

On the new filter experience - in addition to things like being able to sort the filters, format them individually, etc. - I'd like the ability to be able to suppress the "row counts" that show up after each of the values in the filter.

Those might be useful if the filter is on a fact table - but when there is a filter on a dimension table, the number displayed has absolutely no value to a business user. It doesn't represent data points, etc. - it just shows how many times a value shows up in a particular dimension…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Formatting options for key influencers visual

Please consider adding formating options (colors, titles etc) for key influencers visual, so it can be added to any report and fit in as part of the report instead of standing out as it does now

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Dynamic currency formatting

There are a number of ideas relating to currency formatting but none quite capture the essence of the issue at hand.

Dynamically changing the currency *is* entirely possible through a number of means.

What isn't possible at the moment is displaying/formatting the output in a meaningful way.

Assuming you have a currency slicer and a 'dynamic' measure, there are as far as I know there are three options:

- Format as decimal number (trusting the user to infer currency from slicer/filter selection)
    - E.g. FORMAT([Sales], "$#,##0.0") which converts the measure to text and we lose the ability to sort values…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable "Full Refresh" of Table with Incremental Refresh Policy

Sometimes I want my data model to do a "full refresh," and ignore incremental refresh policies. E.g., when scheduling refreshes in the Service, for each scheduled time, could there please be an option for either incremental or full? And, for dataset refreshes triggered by the Power BI API, could there please be an option to trigger an incremental or full refresh?

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 65 66
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.