Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dynamic Parameters for What if analysis

[Will Thompson] I've just merged a couple of very close scenarios, which all have similar great ideas! Something we're considering for the future, so I'm keen to hear your feedback on this. I like this core scenario of a numeric value that is bound to a slider control, and can then be used as part of some expression.

- In a sales report, I can adjust a '% increase' slider to see what impact a small change in revenue might have had on my sales.
    - In a mortgage calculator, I can change the % rate, borrowed amount and term to see projected…

1,249 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

85 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! I’m pleased to say this is available in the August update of Power BI Desktop. You can create a table that is bound to a slicer to select a value, and use that value in your calculations.

At the moment it’s not supported in Live Connect mode over SSAS models – if you have a requirement for that scenario please vote here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20558389-enable-what-if-parameters-with-analysis-services

2. Dynamic date slicer

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
    YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

942 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drill to a report page

Ability to select/click a row on the table or chart and be able to contextually go to another report , with appropriate filters. This is only useful when we are able to hide the pages in the report and they appear only when something is(row or cell) selected on a table or similar chart.

1,439 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m pleased to say that the September release of Power BI Desktop includes the capability to drill between report pages. More details in the blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2017-feature-summary/

There are a couple of related ideas that you can vote on if you’d find them useful:
    Drill into an SSRS report:
    https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6740219-ssrs-reports-for-drill-down-into-detailed-reports
    Drill to a transaction details page:
    https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200/suggestions/13662768

Thanks for your support and votes!

4. Improve dashboard/report usage metrics report performance

The dashboard/report usage metrics can take >10s to load in certain cases. Please improve the performance of the report.

FYI: the documentation for the current feature can be found here:
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Time intelligence base to improve value of YTD, MTD.....

Time intelligence is used frequently when creating reports and it’s a really strong feature, but it could be made even stronger if you had the option to change the base date for this.

Let’s imagine we have a report showing some year to date and last year to date values, if I open this report it will always show the values based on the current date, but very often around month, quarter or year change you would really like to view this result not including the values of e.g. the current month.

Let’s imagine that today’s date is May 11th…

255 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. dynamic reference lines

would be great if the reference line would compute averages and dynamically change, ala tableau and microstrategy..

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. What-if Analysis Capabilities

It would be very nice if Power BI had the ability to do "What-If" analysis in a dashboard. I know Tableau can answer "what-if" questions by adding a number or value to the analysis, but I want Power BI to have that, since I am a Power BI user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Clustering

I would like to see the ability to group a particular set of objects based on their characteristics, aggregating them according to their similarities.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Grouping fields: Need Ability to rename the group name/members.

When you group multiple dimensions, what shows as the name is a combination of the all the names of the dimensions that were grouped. Very long, difficult to read. Example, If you group 5 dimensions with the following names:
    Back Covers
    Cushion Covers
    Mattress Covers
    Chair Covers
    Table Covers
    Then, in the visual, it shows the label as
    Back Covers & Cushion Covers & Mattress Covers & Chair Covers & Table Covers...imagine if you group even larger numbers of dimensions, or dimensions with lengthy names! You should be able to rename this grouping. For example, Change this grouping name to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Forecast on power BI service

What avout to have the forecast online?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.