Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

1,314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

232 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enterprise Gateway - SSAS Tabular Live Schedule Refresh

Idea:
    Please allow administrators to default new and existing reports to refresh at an interval or not at all for a gateway connection using SSAS live. The current implementation appears to issue a refresh of all reports when the cube has been processed or synchronized. This results in overwhelming the server with queries as our user base and number of reports grows. In addition, it would appear dashboards are treated as reports in their own right and refreshed separately. Please allow for a more granular control of these queries.
    Problem:
    Our company has over 150 people actively using Power BI…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. gateway direct query bw

Data Gateway with direct query to SAP BW Connector

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error: Information is needed in order to combine data

I'm trying to combine two simple oData-feed from two different CRM-organisations with the "Table.Combine". It works with datasets from a single source, it works from two sources in Power BI Desktop, but i fails on app.powerbi.com.

The error I get is "Information is needed in order to combine data". This is really essential for us if we can use Power BI.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Gateway diagnostics / performance tracking

Currently there seems to be no real logging or diagnostics information available from the Enterprise gateway.

Would be helpful levels of diagnostic logging were possible and also performance tracking details of what the gateway is doing

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power BI Gateway Authentication Enhancements

We the Power BI On-Premises Gateway to support these two authentication methods:

1) Authentication on-the-fly, allowing the user to enter credentials at the time the report is being accessed.

2) Enhance the On-Premises Gateway to allow pass-through of my credentials. Some customers do not want the report to be access by a hard-coded user (as we have today), and instead, they want the user to authenticate against the database backend system. This is important for customers that are highly regulated as some compliance requirements need data consumption at the database level.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We just released Single Sign-On support when connecting to certain data sources from the Power BI Service, via the On-premises data gateway. This allows customers to map the identity of the end user consuming a DirectQuery-based report in the Power BI Service (or Mobile apps) to a domain account to use for querying the underlying data source.

Initial supported sources includes SQL Server, Teradata and SAP HANA.

Additional data sources coming later in CY17 include Oracle, Impala and SAP BW. Other sources, such as Spark, will be supported early in CY18.

More details can be found at: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-single-sign-on-support-when-connecting-to-data-sources-from-the-power-bi-service/

If you’re interested in SSO support over other data sources, please feel free to create new Ideas for each of them, to help us prioritize according to customer demand.

Thanks!

7. Allow Power BI Gateways and Microsoft Data Management Gateway to be loaded on the same PC

I use both Power BI and Azure ML. Unfortunately I cannot connect to an on premises gateway with Azure ML because I have an Power BI Enterprise Gateway installed. To quote the gateway page "You can't run Data Management Gateway and Power BI Gateway on the same computer." Why Not? Doesn't Microsoft want me to develop both products? I need to be able to connect to both gateways this without having to go to another PC to do it. Allow Power BI Gateways and Microsoft Data Management Gateway to be loaded on the same PC.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Power BI Enterprise ODBC Scheduled Refresh

At the moment it is not possible to schedule a refresh of an ODBC datasource by the Enterprise Gateway. Please implement the functionality from the Personal Gateway in the Enterprise Gateway

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Dimah Zaidalkilani responded

This is supported as of last week. First, please update your on-premises data gateway to the latest.

9. Enterprise Gateway - Active Directory Security Groups as Users

In the gateway data source I am forced to add each user individually to allow them to create a report off that data source.
    Alternately I can create custom groups in o365.
    We have already established security groups on our system would it be possible for these groups to be used?
    This is an extra layer of security for hundreds of users that has already been solved through active directory synchronization with office 365.

The use case is to add a security group or multiple group to be authorized to create reports off the data source. When we add or…

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Security Groups are supported in the Gateway users list – Go to Manage Gateways- Select the Data Source you want those users to create a report off → Click on Users → you can add a security group there

10. PostgreSQL

Allow Enterprise Gateway to connect to PostgreSQL

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PostgreSql Datasource for Enterprise Gateway

Any chance of connecting to PostgreSQL data Source with the new Enterprise Gateway, we can with the Personal Gateway, but really need the Enterprise Gateway

179 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

I’m excited to mark this feature as “completed”. PostgreSQL support was added to the On-premises data gateway in the latest release. Make sure to update your gateway and try it out!

Thanks,
    Dimah
    The Power BI Gateway team

12. Q & A with On-Prem Database

We need to have Self Serve BI Capability to be able to do Q & A with On Prem SQL Server Connection using Enterprise Gateway currently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can use the Q&A feature with on-prem, checkout the Data Summit Key note demo it’s using Q&A against an on-prem source using Gateway

13. Gateway mapping between O365 accounts and Local Domain Accounts

For any Holding company managing a diverse number of corporate entities (domestic and/or international) each with its own disconnected Forests (either by corporate structure or following an acquisition), it would be necessary to have a capability in the BI gateway to map between the Office 365 accounts and the local domain accounts in order to provide global access as well as local security to the SSAS data. The mapping in the BI gateway would link for example an O365 account – Joe.Smith@GlobalCompany.com – to a local account known to the gateway – LocalDomain\JSmith. The SSAS server security access would be…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. direct querie

I made a dashboard with a direct querie for live data. This dasboard contains a view of the data in a graphic and a table. When i select data in the graphic the table doesn't change with the filter and show 'no data'. When i made a dashboard with a personal gateway this works perfect

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can use Direct Query with a number of resources using the Enterprise Gateway. Check the Enterprise Gateway documentation for more info

15. Gateway auto login

Please allow auto login to the PBI Personal gateway. Every time the machine restarts, the gateway requires logging in, that's affecting the refreshing process.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Email notifications on auto-refresh failure

Auto-refresh currently fails silently. IT has no way to know the end users are using out of date data.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.