Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dead "Learn More" link in Dataset Refresh failure notification

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that the "Learn More" link in the dataset refresh notifications is dead?

Here is where the link leads:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-tools-for-troubleshooting-issues/

This is what I think it should probably point to:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. support "Publish To Web" also for "Analysis Services"

Have several OLAP cubes and prepared Power BI reports on it which I can act on within PowerBI Services.
    I want to offer these reports also within a corporated intranet site but the feature "Publish To Web" is not yet supported (in 11/2017)
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 我的账户登陆不了POWER BI桌面

我的账户登陆不了POWER BI桌面 登陆之后未响应 然后就提示继续登陆 移动版提示账户有问题

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Ability for authorized users of an Enterprise gateway connection to use credentials from that connection in Power BI desktop.

We would like to enable a large set of users to access an Oracle data warehouse that does not support AD authentication. Currently they access the EDW thru Hyperion IR with an embedded service account providing access to the data. In other words, access to the data is restricted by the application i.e. Hyperion vs by the database.

It would be awesome if these users could be authorized to the Enterprise gateway connection which was setup for this warehouse and then inherit the service account credentials saved in the gateway connection to connect to the warehouse from Power BI Desktop.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create 'Global Table Refresh' structure

Each table used in at least one dashboard is set to refresh [needs an increase in options on this one] by a variable integer of hours, days, weeks, months, etc. Then any dashboards needing to connect to that table would be able to refresh as often as the table or less frequent, so that each table in the Gateway is only pinged once regardless of how many reports/dashboards it lives in. Also significantly reduces the number of 'GET' creations are needed if I have a 'STORE' of the GETs I use now already being refreshed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please improve the error messages in the Gateway

The current feedback for a user/administrator is totally useless when there is an error.
    I expect a unique errorcode so that I can look it up on the internet
    I expect a direct link to microsoft for more help.
    I expect a name of which connection goes wrong.
    I expect a name of the PBIX file that goes wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Append Excel table located on OneDrive with Oracle on prem. data in a query and refresh in Power BI Service

I have a data model that has one query that pulls data from an Excel table saved to OneDrive (SharePoint Online) and another query that pulls data from an Oracle table. I am able to append those two tables together in Power BI Desktop and refresh. However, when I publish the model to Power BI Service this append step breaks the ability to enable refresh on the enterprise gateway.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. database as optional in gateway

In Power BI service, in data gateway i want to add a new data source, so i choose "sql server" and because there are many databases i dont want to choose only one database. Why this field is not optional?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Separating the roles of Power BI/Data Gateway administrator from the custodian of data connection

Currently, the person who can setup a data connection – entering “hard-coded” credentials – on a Data Gateway has to be also an administrator on the Gateway.

It means that either a Power BI admin has to have access to Data Connections (including sensitive data), or a Data Custodian has to become an admin on the Gateway (and be able to affect other “tenants”/data connections deployed on the same Gateway). Running a separate Gateway per each data connection is not economically feasible.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Change the Data Connection object so that connection credentials can be stored outside of the Data…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Gateways > Add Data Source is hidden until you hover it

I just wasted 30mins trying to find the add data source button only to discover it only appears when you hover over the gateway name.
    Insane.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow recipients to share your dashboard

When a user click on share dashboard, default check box of "Allow recipients to share your dashboard" is available.

I like to see if this can be handled as on Tenant Setting, Power BI Service Administrator to disable for entire organization and allow only to specific groups like we have option for "Share content with external users" to enable/disable specific groups.

This option in the Tenant Settings will allow admin to decide which groups / users can share the dashboard if there's no RLS implemented.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Mobile settings to incorporate gateway

It would be great to be able to edit a gateway through the mobile app if my account is an admin. I cannot trouble shoot a gateway issue though my mobile app and would prefer to have that ability without having to use Remote Desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support for DELETE, UPDATE methods in Power BI Data Gateway REST API

Hello,

It would be great if there was the functionality to delete specific data through the Power BI Gateway for live streaming. For example, if someone is submitting something on a client application and it goes through the gateway to display on someone's dashboard there should be a way to reverse that submission and delete it resulting in it being deleted from the dashboard analytics.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Lost credentials

I've been using the personal gateway for over two years and just started getting refresh errors on most of my dashboards daily. All of my data sources are on prem csvs, and show credential errors where they are are 'invalid' or 'missing' credentials. In many cases this disables my refresh schedule going forward. Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Power BI Gateway and Power BI Service support for "SQL Server Failover support"

Power BI Desktop has since January had support for "SQL Server Failover support" (robably Always On). But this is not supported from Power BI Service using a Power BI Gateway.

I don't know if there's a change needed in both the Service and the Gateway, but that's for Microsoft to sort out

Adding this would rapidly decrease the data needed to be upload to the Power BI Service via the Power BI Gateway. It would also provide near RT access to data

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Quickly add feature that allows multiple user logins to same database

Currently, you can create a connection to an oracle database that has multiple schemas or logins with PBI desktop. You need a separate PBIX file for each, but you can do it and you can publish data after refreshing in the desktop.

The issue is that the OPDG will recognize the "one" database as a duplicate and not allow multiple logins that would otherwise serve as security for different sets of data.

Can you quickly add a feature that will allow multiple user logins to the same database?

In justifying the cost/benefit, consider what it means to Oracle shops that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Disaster Recovery Plan

I do not feel comfortable with relying on a Key to be able to perform the restoration in case of failure. It would be more reliable to provide a second backup option to be able to restore in case a real disaster would happens. We have to maintain a separated database to save records of each data source setting. And for a big company this is something to think of..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. parametrized table

Parametrized Table valued functions in Direct Query.

Datasource can be table valued function, but now it accepts only constant, not DAX expressions.
    Can table valued function accepts parameters such as USERPRINCIPALNAME() or similar, which is info about Power BI user (it is not changeable inside session).
    Because in many cases, it is much easier than RLS inside Power BI.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enterprise Gateway Fix Needed

When a scheduled refresh fails in the Gateway, Power BI turns off the automatic refresh. The gateway needs to add a configurable re-try function before turning off the auto-refresh.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.