Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Profiling

Data Profiling similar to what is offered in tools like Talend Data Preparation Tool. You can select a column for example and it gives you quick insights on (Invalid data, empty rows, summary statistics on the column, a frequency distribution of all value sin the column, if the column is an integer data field it will give a nice box plot summarizing the data distribution)

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. profiling column values

Automated column profiling:
    when data from any source is transformed into a table form, an automated profiling of the values in each column displayed in the form of a histogram just above each column header can give a really good insight about the data quality and further aid the analyst in guiding through the data preparation process.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SAP BW display Key and Text

It seems as if only Text is available to select.
    We require the Key to be available to build relationships and to view data

150 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create English Step Names Option in localized Power BI Query Editor

Localized Power BI Desktop creates local step names in query editor. There should be an option to choose: Create English Step Names to avoid confusion when Power BI is used in international environments.

M language is English, DAX is English and step names should be English too.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m glad to report that this option is now available in the June Update of Power BI Desktop: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-update/

Option to generate Step Names in English

Query Steps generated within the Query Editor dialog are by default localized to the “current installation language”. For instance, adding a Remove Columns step via the Query Editor would result in a new “RemovedColumns” step if using the English-US version of Power BI Desktop.

A common area of feedback from many users is that this approach does not scale well when they share Power BI Desktop files with other users running different localized versions of the product and these users also make changes to their queries, as it results in a mix of languages in the Step names.

In this update, we’re introducing a new option to “Always generate Step names in English”. Users can now control whether the Query Editor should automatically generate…

5. Improve the Advanced Query Editor

Add better static analysis, IntelliSense, and general formatting abilities (like allowing tabs) in the "Advanced" editor

840 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better Time Duration Support

Besides adding support for "duration" data type in the report view as in Power Query:

Being able to convert a number to time duration (e.g. (the number "10" to "240:00:00") and have it as time/duration data type.

Currently it's only possible to convert it to Time (HH:mm:ss), which has a limit of 24 hours. Data on more hours/multiple days is lost.

When using duration as data type, in report view it's still viewed as a number of days (e.g. 1,xx for 24 hours and xx minutes)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add comments to Power Query steps

it would be nice to see you able to write comments on steps done within the query editor. Extending the feature to be able to comment on the comments would be great as well. Following other products which allow you to resolve comments would be icing on the cake that would complete the circle.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m very glad to announce that this feature is now available in the June update for Power BI Desktop: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-update/

Description for Query Steps

Another feature request from existing users has been to allow them to provide “Comments” or “Description” for their query steps. Before this update, it was possible to provide a Description for queries, but not for steps within these queries.

With this update, we’re introducing a new Description field for Steps, which can be accessed within the right-click menu for any step in your queries (“Properties…”)

8. Display a preliminary preview of the result

When working on a heavy data source, and especially after having done some formating, the system can take a very long time to refresh after each step.

Would it be possible to continue to be able to design the query once the first 100 rows have been calculated? This way we would not have to wait forever between each step... THe rest of the table could be refreshed while we are working on the design afterwards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to create shared data source

Currently I use three datasources. Each time I go from Dev to Preview to Production, I have to change these connection string all over. I would be great if I can have a shared connection or a variable definition or something, so that I just change that once when I have to change the environment.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Conditional columns: need the ability to add more than one

It is nice that in Power BI Desktop (April 2016 release) we were given the ability to add a Conditional Column (real game changer in data prep work). However, why stop with just one? In parsing out data into dimensions it is more than often required to apply sets of rules to obtain multiple dimensions, hence multiple conditional columns are required.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow runtime parameters in Power View and/or Power Query

PowerView does not take input parameters at run time. In order to change the data being presented at runtime the user must use a filter or the query author must use a non-deterministic function in the query (e.g. MyDate = GETUTCDATE() ). Neither approach allows a user to create an optimal request that brings down just the data he/she wants to see. My understanding is that filtering in Power View requires the superset of data to be retrieved before the filter is applied. Nondeterministic functions do not provide the flexibility of parameters. This will be an important feature when dealing…

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is now possible to define Parameters in Power BI Desktop, annotating them with metadata (name, description, expected data type and allowed values), reference these parameters from your queries, data model and report elements (labels, etc.).

We’ll continue making incremental improvements on top of the existing Parameters feature – so if there are specific items that you would like us to do based on this feature, please cast your votes. : )

12. Convert Power Query transformations into SSIS (ETL) and also SQL Server stored procs

Imagine using the capabilities of SSIS or plain SQL Server and/or to execute Power Query transformations at high speeds. I see Power BI Designer as the transformations editor + small data transformation tool and SSIS/SQL as the big data transformation tool.

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Load a sample of data rather than the whole thing

Loading data from a tabular model (Adventure works) into the designer takes ages. approx. 30 minutes for 500.000 records. That should be faster, Probably add the option to not load all records of the fact table to build your reports.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is already the case for Import scenarios – Data in the Query Editor is only a subset (i.e. top 200 rows) of your tables. When loading to the Data Model, the full table results are loaded.

Particularly for Analysis Services (as well as a few other sources), you can also use Live/DirectQuery mode, which will allow you to create reports without having to import data into the local model.

14. Make "combine binaries" independent from existence of a particular file

Since the November 2016 upgrade of Power BI Desktop, the "combine binaries" functionality is strongly improved.
    However, I have 1 suggestion for improvement already.
    The "combine binaries" functionality creates some objects, including a query "Sample Binary".
    This query returns the first file from the (selected) files in the folder.
    Unfortunately, the name and path of this file are hardcoded, e.g. from the advanced editor:
    #"C:\Users\Marcel\OneDrive - Bemint\Office 365\Power Query\DateTimeTables\_(UTC+0000) Casablanca xlsx" = Source{[#"Folder Path"="C:\Users\Marcel\OneDrive - Bemint\Office 365\Power Query\DateTimeTables\",Name="(UTC+0000) Casablanca.xlsx"]}[Content]

Consequently, when that file would be removed from the folder, you would get errors when refreshing this query.

So my suggestion…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "Using Locale" Option to new Data Type Menu Buttons in the Query Editor header row

New Data Type Buttons in the header row of the Query Editor are just great!

Please, please, please add "Using Locale" at the bottom of the menu as it is in the traditional shortcut menu. Outside ** we usually need "Using Locale" most of the time.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import an Excel column that I specifically defined as text with text settings.

I have an Excel table with customer numbers as a column. In Excel, I intentionally and specifically set this column to have a text format.
    Unfortunately, it appears as if Power BI is seeing just numbers in the first few rows and importing the column as numeric. I need the column to be imported into Power BI as text because there are customer numbers of ours that have letters later on in the column. Now, Power BI says all the customer numbers that have a letter are errors. I can not find a way to override Power BI's decision that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

When importing Excel Workbooks in Power BI Desktop, a Change Type step is added to your query to detect more specific data types than Text. This type inference is done based on top N rows (100-1,000) so it might not be the right inferred type for values further down in your tables.

It is possible for you to go into the Query Editor and remove the auto-generated Change Type step from your query, so you can keep your column as Text.

It is also possible to configure this as a File-level option, so you can go into File → Options and Settings → Options → Data Load and change the default to not auto-detect types when importing data from unstructured sources. You can do this before importing your Excel Workbook, so that you do not need to adjust each query (in case you import multiple tables from a single or…

17. Trim Transformation

Add new transformation in Query Editor that performs a Text.Trim step of the selected columns automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have percentage be an option for column data type when editing queries.

Percentage should be another option for letting the program know about a certain data type in a column rather than converting them into decimal numbers and using calculated columns.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Parameterized Query

Maybe you've already incorporated this, and i'm just missing it. But is there any way to allow a user to enter a date range and then pass the selected dates as an argument into a parameterized query. I know that once the data model is imported, users can use parameters in BI to modify dashboards, but is there any way to allow users to have control over the data model that is actually imported?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s already possible to dynamically retrieve today’s date when authoring a Custom Column in the Query Editor. You can use DateTime.LocalNow() or DateTime.UtcNow() to get a date/time stamp, from which you can extract the date part.

Something like this should work: Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.