Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tag temporary troubleshooting steps in Power Query Editor

When the report returns an error of some sort, one might start to filter and apply other temporary steps to the report to identify the errors, and make other temporary steps to find a solution for the errors.
    It's easy to forget those temporary steps you made during the troubleshooting. It would be nice to tag them when you make them for easier identification later, maybe by the right click menu. They could be visualized with another color to the steps or by a symbol next to it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better Relationship Management

New tables are placed on the canvas miles away from where they're needed and are slow to drag - fix this by:
    Creating an 'Unlinked tables' panel where new tables sit until they are placed on the page
    Having a hide option for tables in this panel (because some tables, e.g. for Measures never need adding to the canvas)
    It's also hard to see what relationships exist in a complex model.
    Fix this by adding a summary of each relationship to the properties panel visible when you click on a table

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Como puedo realizar una resta

Hola buenos días,

Tengo mi BD y la columna Concepto y fecha, de ella se requiere realizar una tabla y crear las diferencias por fechas sabiendo que la columna de fechas hay dos o tres fechas y se necesita calcular la diferencia entre las cantidades que existe en el campo de concepto.

Gracias por su pronta ayuda.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Good Morning One idea would be to pass a parameter when the report was loaded, ie a filter already specified for all views when the dashboar

Good Morning
    One idea would be to pass a parameter when the report was loaded, ie a filter already specified for all views when the dashboard was requested.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. join on multiple fields

I would like support for joining tables on multiple fields i.e. as a composite primary key. Something similar would be useful for table relationships too.

Currently I have to create a custom column that concatenates 2+ fields and match on that

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Give ability to "Protect" the link to other step in a step

No, if I add a new step (s2) below existing (s1), all the other steps referencing s1 change their link to s2. Sometimes it is not ok at all. It would be great to "protect" SOME links from changing, e.g. like it is done in Excel (via using $ in a cell address).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Operations Summary Data in a New Month

In the 1st week of a new month need to be able to pull from at least previous week or month. As a QV on the 2nd of September only showing a 1 day of data is not useful. If it is there to be able to change time frame please let me know how.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Incremental Refresh with Unique Key Column check

Along with Date Time stamp, there needs to be option to select a Unique/primary Key column too. Else we are only appending data leading to duplication, not checking if a Key was already inserted in the past.

More Explanation:
    Currently incremental refresh works for the data that was inserted based on DateTime stamp, lets say last 10 days. It does not take into consideration the Primary Key that might have been inserted in the past.
    Eg: Lets say a "Sales Order" was created 3 months ago with a Status "Open", but only today its "Status" was changed from "Open" to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Suffix Support for Data

Allow the ability to add a string to the end of any numerical data. For example I have a fully expanded hierarchy with two numerical x axis values, I would like to add suffix's to the values without converting them to a string and losing numerical functions.

This implementation would be similar to the "Units" but with out calculation and a input field for a string, maybe you can even add a factor so people can create custom calculated units rather than creating a measure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. GUI button to create a random sample

A button/ selection on the query editor or directly in the Filters column that would allow the user to select the option for a random sample. The user could enter how many entries they would like, then a random saple from the data set would filter through to the visualisation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export data transformations as rule metadata

I want to be able to capture the data transformations that are made to a data set as a set of rules. JSON will suffice for now. But ultimately it will need to adopt a rule markup langauge such as one of the standards based approaches used in other frameworks.

For example, I want to export all column name text relacements in M queries to a list of rules that become metadata about that transformations. In essence it captures lineage and provenance of the data.

In an ultimate system I would have rules/metadata about a whole host of transforms and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Maintain column locations from query to data

Once data from a query has been applied, if i then go back and add or rearrange another column in query editor i would like that layout to be maintained when passed to data view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow for column (not measure) value to be determined from a Parameter

Just recreate the Parameter functionality in Tableau.. where an end user can pick a value from the parameter selection, and have a column update it's value based on the selection.

Right now you can only change the value of measures by a slicer / what if parameter, and we really need to be able to let users determine the value of columns.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add 'average' option to Manage Aggregations

Would it be possible to add 'Average' to the list of options in the Summarization drop down on the manage aggregations dialog box?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow for field value alias on data slicer

In Tableau, you can give a field value an alias, which retains the true, original value. For using something like a binary flag, it helps to have the natural form as 0/1 but on the slicer it can be represented as Yes/No,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Quickly remove all columns containing only Null/Blank values

The recently introduced Column Quality feature in the Query Editor allows us to identify Valid, Error and Empty values in each column.

It would be great if we could quickly and easily remove all columns that only contain Null/Blank values.

I recently had a situation where I'd loaded a table containing 100 or so columns into the Query Editor and I had to manually work through these removing all such columns - which was at least half of them.

Having such a feature avaialble in the Query Editor wold be fantastic, and it may also be useful to have something…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. To support Query Folding when using dataflow as source

Please add Query folding support when using dataflow as source.

To prove that query folding is currently not supported when connecting to dataflow, I have a simple query as shown below. When right clicking at the "Removed Other Columns" step, the "View Native Query" option is grayed out.

let
    Source = PowerBI.Dataflows(null),
    #"ddf25813-a45c-419d-83b3-xxxxxxxxxxxx" = Source{[workspaceId="ddf25813-a45c-419d-83b3-xxxxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data],
    #"45f4c0b5-6630-445b-b053-xxxxxxxxxxxx" = #"ddf25813-a45c-419d-83b3-xxxxxxxxxxxx"{[dataflowId="45f4c0b5-6630-445b-b053-xxxxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data],
    #"Taiwan Customers1" = #"45f4c0b5-6630-445b-b053-xxxxxxxxxxxx"{[entity="Taiwan Customers"]}[Data],
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Taiwan Customers1",{"Customer number", "Customer name", "Salesperson"})
    in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add button to disable full data load on all tables while developing

We can disable data load 1 query at a time. But if there way limit data load on all tables while developing a report with one click. This would speed up development time

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.