Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Loading fibnancial data

Hi

I am trying to build a data model that will compare the Financial statements(BS,P&L) of public companies.

Could you please suggest any best practice to do so.

I tried unpivoting the traditional financial statement but writing ratio measures seemed not possible or clear.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. =mround

Hello,

Thank you for this great tool! This has definitely aided me in managing my customer accounts better. one suggestion That I have and NEED, is the ability to create a graph that will allow times to report based on 15, 30, 45, 1 hour increments. example. if my account is receiving excessive activity. I want to be able to create a table (the way I would in excel using the =mround(b2, "0:15")) and then put the information into a graph that will show me the times the alarms are coming in. at this time, that's probably the only thing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Boton Deshacer

Agregar un botón para deshacer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Ability to Download and Upload DAX Functions by column in a data model

My team and I work off a lot of common prepared tables yet incorporated in different data models. I would like to see the ability to Export a spreadsheet with the Column Name in Field 1 and the corresponding DAX Function in Field 2. The real cat's pajamas would be to have the ability to re-upload it into another model.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Transform by example

Similar to the recently announced "Add column by Example", it would be great if we can have a "Transform by example" functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Less memory intensive JSON parsing

Make retrieving JSON Rest APIs less memory intensive so it can be done more efficiently.

I'm not totally sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but when I connect PowerBI to our SQL data source, I can load hundreds of thousands of rows without an issue. If I call our REST API of the same data source, I have to make 500 calls to get the data and memory usage of PowerBI spikes, quickly consuming all my Ram, Page File, and can even bluescreen my PC. I've seen memory usage top 40GB on a dataset that is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to multiselect columns when changing the data type.

Currently, users must click on each column to change a data type. It would be nice to have the ability to select more than one column when making these changes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can I pre-populate Groups and members

Hi,
    I work a lot with  Auditfiles that contain the General Ledger Schema. For consolidation and benchmarking purposes I each time have to "map" the different Charts of Accounts to a standard, reference, one.

Can I pre-populate Groups and members with the standard, reference, one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. There should be data Logical value checker.

There should be Logical value checker. We can managed the dashboard value correctly. This show us the problem place value as a highlight.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Custom "Favorites" to Buttons in Editor Interface

Similar to https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/18476596-custom-reusable-dax-function

I think it would be awesome if we could add our own functions/favorites to the Power Query Editor Interface. What I mean is that for example, in the built in Date & Time functions on the Ribbon, there is nothing remotely like the following:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Source", "Period", each Text.From(Date.Year([DATECOLUMNNAMETOCONVERT])) & "-" & Text.PadStart(Text.From(Date.Month([DATECOLUMNNAMETOCONVERT])),2,"0"))

Imagine being able to save this function and have it as a button (preferably under the Date button dropdown) so I could quickly add it just as if it was a built in command. If not integrated with the built in commands, then maybe…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When parsing a text document treat /N and "null" as null values

When I bring a csv document from data lakes/other sources it does a fantastic job of parsing most initial csv issues - including promoting first row as headers and detecting types... what it doesn't do is parse out NULL values first.

What I'd like is for it to quickly do the NULL value checking and replace any likely null values prior to doing the data type detection - uppercase check against "\N" and "NULL" seem to be common.

This would solve the last of my initial changes to any data model straight from csv.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Include a functionality to store and select Frecuenlty Used Expressions (FUSEX)

I think it is worth exploring is the idea of being able to include expressions as part of the selectable objects. IE. we have Tables, Columns, Measures...why not include Frequently used expressions (FUSEX so to speak...)?

Imagine you had an expression you had to use frequently. In my case, I'm building a model where the most relevant information is Current month and Current Year results compared to the same periods in the previous years, aswell as including flexibility to be able to select time periods even within the same page in a report (which means you cannot use a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve column search limit in query editor

Within query editor the column search function is only capable of searching within the 1000 value limit. This can make cleaning data more cumbersome than it needs to be. Enable searching through all existing values to improve workflow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. make it more simple for end user as well as users should fell he participate in the system

When the customer fell he involving in BI be sure he will recommend all his friends and colleagues to use it and promote for BI as well

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Parameterised content packs

I have an template for a content pack and I want to make cookie cutter template reports for specific contexts that all refer back to the same data set with a parameter.

At first I made the change in the pbix file and uploaded them all to the service but when they refresh they slam the database. Also maintenance is a PITA when I have to change the template and the 20 different variations all together. I experimented with Azure Analysis Services, broke the gateway and powerbi.com rained down on me with notifications about broken refreshes for each and every…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make the delimiter count dynamic on refresh

When setting data to split by delimiter it fixes the count of delimiters based on the data at that time, this can lead to issues on future refresh

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/take-care-when-splitting-cells-wyn-hopkins

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. JSON - Full Data API support

This idea was completed allowing to add a JSON source https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6808370-json-data-source .

Can we know expand on this to have a clean way to retrieve data from the API's please instead of receiving successful responses.

There are many 'hacks' out there but having a proper implementation to avoid these hacks would be great and valuable since JSON API's are everywhere.

Hacks.
    https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2014/04/19/web-services-and-post-requests-in-power-query/
    http://datachix.com/2014/05/22/power-query-functions-some-scenarios/
    https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/specifying-json-query-in-power-query-example-statistics-sweden/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No he podido organizar los datos de forma personalizada, no asc o desc o por otra columna

Ejemplo: Tengo una columna con los días de la semana en español y no me deja ordenar los datos lógicamente sino alfabéticamente, así tengo otras columnas que requieren un orden lógico del negocio para la presentación de los datos.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Relacionar campos en Power BI Online

Tener la opción de crear relaciones de campos en la versión Power BI Online. Ya que solo se puede actualmente en la versión de desktop.
    Gracias y saludos.
    Steven Robles

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Update Dashboards with JSON / XML / Web Data as Datasource

Publishing Power BI workbooks whose data source is from JSON, XML, Web e.g. no refreshes are happening on a local SQL Server etc. To refresh any dashboard we are prompted to install a gateway, but not all dashboards should necessitate a gateway in order to refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.