Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. dimension description template

It would be very useful to add a 'dimension description' page for most used common dimensions. This would complete the dimensional modeling (as by theory) of nominal, ordinal, categorical (etc) dimensions.

Examples
    - A dimension can have a preferred sort order (by name, by attribute, by measure)
    - A dimension can be numeric, but still ordinal (average and additions not applicable), and the basic interpretation is 'string with numbered sort orders'
    - A dimension can be non-additive (average numbers) or non- multiplicative
    - A dimension can be numeric with labels (e.g. driving distance with road exit names)
    - A dimension…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatically create custom Date tables for all Date fields

Similar to how a hidden date table is created for every date field in the model by default, there should be ability to define a custom date table that automatically gets associated with all date fields in the model. This will allow model developers to be more productive when there are multiple date fields in the model.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Rename applied steps before steps are created

Could we please have an applied step renaming box appear when someone creates an applied step that will allow them to rename the step before the step is created? The “default” name that Power Query normally assigns would appear in this box by default.
    It is good practice to rename applied steps after creating them (especially with more complex queries), and this process would be much less cumbersome if the user was automatically prompted to change the step name prior to the step being created.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Tabular Model Both Single Grain (cross filter) vs Multiple Grain (M:1)best chosen based on User Query

Modeling Kimball conformed stars into one semantic model requires all facts to dimension joins be M:1. even the Junk/drill to detail dimension has to be M:1 from fact to dim. This works exactly as expected to support drill across. Single grain model for one data mart can support cross filter for everything so the use can choose attributes without any metric and is very user friendly. Could we model each data mart as single grain cross filter AND as part of the one larger semantic model and then at run time, PBI uses the single grain when only one measure…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. modeling - currency formatting

I have a difficulty when I have decimal data and need to turn several columns into unit.

Improvement Ideas:
    1 - Favorite or choose the ones that should be at the top, in my case I have to select column by column and search among so many units that have.

2 - Select multiple columns and format at once. Ex: Decimals direct to real currency R $.

3 - Or, formatting princel to replicate this same currency unit format

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Encapsulation, code reuse

We aren't in 1970 anymore. We need code reuse and logic encapsulation.

Suppose I have a lot of Data sources and I want to use it on a lot of report with the same kind of manpulation in M or in Dax.

In M I use a lot of date manipulation in DAX and we often recreate the same calculation in DAX.

I shouln't have to rewrite function / code from pbix to pbix

How about custom library, outside fucntion call (in any other language) and so on!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export Data From Visualisations as they appear in PowerBI

It would be good to be able to export data that appears in PowerBi visuals in Excel in the format as they are presented. Currently export will retreive the underlying data and not how it has been pivoted/presented within PowerBI.
    Benefit of this is that the investment in time to get it ini that format is not wasted (or needs more time to redo in excel) if that data is needed for other teams to use

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Incremental data refresh from a stored procedure

Incremental refresh works good when refreshing data from tables. We have to deal with complex logic and predefined structure which is not possible from tables. Incremental refresh from stored procedure will be very helpful.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Incremental refresh - update report not dataset

When I want to make changes to a report with incremental refresh, I cannot pull it down from the server. I understand why, as there would potentially be too much data for PBI desktop to handle.
    We have a copy saved on SharePoint, so I would make changes to that and then redeploy. However, at the point of publishing it overwrites the data on the service. The next refresh is then a full refresh. In the meantime, users would not have access to all the data.
    I would like the ability to only make changes to the report, and for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add row number in matrix/table

maybe an on/off button to add row numbers

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Power BI with Jupyter Notebook Interactivity

As a Data Analyst, I work a lot with Power BI in one part and Jupyter notebooks in the other part to explore datasets. Notebooks are perfect to explicitly show the different phases of analyzing data. Power BI is the perfect solution to create rich dynamic reports with top notch visuals.

What about a creating a Power BI connector for Jupyter notebooks. Or being able to attach a Jupyter notebook to Power Query to combine the best of both worlds. I know that there is a Python Script capability inside Edit Query, but we want much more :)

Disclaimer: I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please create a feature like query plan for Power Query

As far as I know, PQ creates some internal presentations for calculating M scripts, reshuffling M queries and making something like tunnels/pipelines to data source from a number of steps, which are described in M scripts.

E.g. internally

s0 = #table..,
    s1 = Table.AddColumn(s0,"2", each f(_)) ,
    s2 = Table.RemoveColumns (s1,"1")

is the same as

s0 = #table.. ,
    s1 = Table.TransformColumns(s0, {"1", each f(_)})

Defenitely, it would be great to virtually see the resulting "tunnels", just like SQL programmers can see query plans of SQL queries.

It would help M developers in many ways, e.g.:

1. They could really…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fuzzy Merge Similarity Output

Fuzzy Merge Similarity Output. Like excel, it would be nice to display the similarity % used in the threshold calculation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Send filtered/sliced data into R and Python

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data localisation but the down part is that Power BI won't be able to update the result set by applying the filter/sliced data like Tableau does using the R SCRIPT_*() functions - SCRIPT_BOOL(), SCRIPT_INT(), SCRIPT_REAL(), and SCRIPT_STR().

If we could get these functions in Power BI then it will be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Flag All Non-Query Folding Actions

Could we please have a setting in the Global options that will flag the background of all actions in the Power Query editor that will not allow query folding when dealing with a source that allows query folding?

For reference, I have tested and found that the following list (not exhaustive) of actions will not allow query folding:

1) using a SQL statement under the Advanced options section of SQL Server database (or similar)
    2) merging a data source that allows query folding with a data source that does not allow query folding
    3) using query functions
    4) having certain…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. isnull()

Please add isnull() to powerquery

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Undo option in 'Applied Steps' in Power Query Editor

There should be an undo option in case you have accidentally deleted a step in the 'applied steps' section in Power Query Editor.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 'Lazy Preview' option in Query Editor when merging / joining queries

I have a query in which I am joining to another query. The preview need only return a couple of hundred rows. However, the query editor has just spent the last HALF HOUR churning through all 5 million rows in the background, in the multi-gigabyte mashup container (which eats my laptop). I really don't see the need for this! All it has to do is find enough records to create a sufficiently large preview (200 rows will do!) and then STOP. Only when I press Apply should it then attempt to go process everything. Otherwise, I'm subjected to this extremely…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Python extend packages

Currently, python has very limited choice of libraries. Please extend it to be similar to Anaconda. In desktop version, I can use even tkinter to start applications with UI. Or maybe you can give Pro users access in PBI service to install some other libraries. Let's say 5 more on top of what is offered.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. An option to remove rows that are the same as table headers.

There are times when the same header line is imported from files multiple times (e.g. when importing a set of CSV files, or when somebody duplicated it in Excel)

An option to remove rows that are the same as table headers would be both useful and - I think - easy to implement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.