Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to pass multiple values as a filter parameter in query string

As of now only one parameter value can be passed in a filter using the syntax:
    <PowerBI report URL>?filter=<Table Name 1>/<Column Name 1> eq 'Value 1' and <Table Name 2>/<Column Name 2> eq 'Value 2'

But we cannot pass more than one value for say <Column Name 1>

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow embedding a report using the phone layout (or a new responsive layout )

A typical website nowadays is responsive, but Power BI reports are not. Embedding them in a website might lead to a bad user experience on mobile devices. Embedding reports using the phone layout (or a similar responsive layout) would be great for use cases where mobile devices are targeted from the website.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to update data source connection string in a pbix file

Currently, the API allows to update data source details for a report on the SSRS portal. However, the data source details in the pbix file uploaded remains unchanged. Only way to fix this is by opening the pbix file using “Edit in Power BI Desktop” option and re-saving the report with the new connection details. Need an ability to update the data source info using the API.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Power BI Embedded - Connection to Analysis Services Tabular

Please provide the ability to connect to Analysis Services (Tabular) from Power BI Embedded

124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of June 2017,
    The Power BI service and Power BI Embedded came together to offer a single API for embedding your dashboards and reports.
    This means you now have one API surface, a consistent set of capabilities and access to the latest Power BI features – such as dashboards, gateways and app workspaces – when embedding your content.

You can read more about it here- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedding/

For those who work with the Power BI Embedded Workspace Collection solution, we built a migration tool for easier data transition.
    See more info here- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-migrate-tool/

5. private publish to web

Make the publish to web feature available to be used for private sites so that confidential information can also be shown.
    And please make the authentication method as flexible as possible

923 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

133 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today I’m very excited to announce the availability of the Power BI report web part for SharePoint Online! We’ve heard from you that you wanted an easy way to securely share Power BI reports in internal sites, enforce security permission, including data security. We’ve been busy at work with the SharePoint team building an out-of-the-box web part for SharePoint Online using their new Modern Pages infrastructure. The new web part we are releasing today enables SharePoint authors to embed Power BI reports directly in SharePoint Online pages with no code required! The feature is available today for Office 365 First Release customers. Truely, this is the ‘private’ publish to web. You can read more about it on the Power BI Blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/integrate-power-bi-reports-in-sharepoint-online/

I know from reading many of the comments below that there are other cases in which people want to embed in external portals that enforce authentication, or on…

6. Allow in-place data model refresh in embedded PowerBI

Today it is possible only to have a static data model or direct query. Would really like to have the mainstream refreshable data model available within the embedded offering. Would like to be able to control the refresh via API.

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of June 2017,
    The Power BI service and Power BI Embedded came together to offer a single API for embedding your dashboards and reports.
    This means you now have one API surface, a consistent set of capabilities and access to the latest Power BI features – such as dashboards, gateways and app workspaces – when embedding your content.

You can read more about it here- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedding/

For those who work with the Power BI Embedded Workspace Collection solution, we built a migration tool for easier data transition.
    See more info here- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-migrate-tool/

7. Power BI Embedded to Azure Analysis Services

Please provide the ability for Power BI Embedded to connect to Azure Analysis Services as a data source.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of June 2017,

8. Allow printing from power bi embedded

It would be great if the embedded report in my website can be printed (either printer or PDF) as we can from powerbi.com and maybe sending the current view by email would make it better.

110 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Embed Report Editor in Power Bi Embedded

At the moment, our customers can only view the reports we provide them inside our company web portal.
    It would be very useful if we could have the ability to embed the report editor (by using Power BI embedded) in our portal, in order to let our customers create their own report, without asking them to log into the editor with their own office365 account.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Integrate PowerBI into Dynamics CRM

As a heavy user of Dynamics CRM online, it would be powerful to be able to embed PowerBI's visuals into the CRM product. The charts available in CRM are antiquated at best.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Real Time Updating Data and a demo for that scenario. As a sample

It might be a nice example just for the presentation for future clients.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  Sirui Sun responded

With the release of the public preview of our new suite of real-time features, we’ve made it easier than ever to get started with real-time data. To get started, check out our blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/real-time-in-no-time-with-power-bi/

You can find a sample app which pushes sample real-time data to Power BI here:
    https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-CSharp/tree/master/samples/consoleapp/getting-started-for-dotnet-real-time

Also, with our PubNub integration, you can now add PubNub’s sample data streams to your Power BI dashboards:
    https://www.pubnub.com/developers/realtime-data-streams/

12. trigger email alert based on threshold

A necessity for a BI solution is to be notified in time of need. Emails generated during reaching a configured threshold (from a card tile best example) would be an excellent add-on, Especially for IoT solutions.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Send parameter to report via embed

I've set a parameter in a report, published it, embedded it via powerbi js but I cannot set the value of the parameter......... sux :(

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bookmarks in Power BI embedded

Per today you cannot show the bookmark pane in embedded power bi reports. It would be good to have the option to
    1) show the bookmark pane in embedded (like with the filter pane)
    2) An extension to 1 would be to retrieve bookmarks and set them programatically to the report. As the filter / bookmark pane is not that goodlooking in an embedded report as i power bi service.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Automation of Power BI Embedded Capacity Pausing

It's great that we can now provision Power BI embedded capacities in Azure, with the option to scale and pause them in the portal. However we really need to be able to automate scale-out and pause/start of these resources. Please make PowerShell cmdlets available to allow this.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. javascript

Fix the dataSelected event to also provide **values** array retrieving data from an embedded powerBI report. Ref.: [https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Handling-Events] @ 2) ***values** array (In Progress)

128 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  38 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Connect Power BI Embedded Report to On-Premise Datasource

I want to be able to connect my Azure Hosted Power BI Embedded Reports to be able to connect to on-premise datasources (via data management gateway).

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of June 2017,

18. API to access Natural Language Query in embedded application scenarios

Hi ,

I would like to propose an idea where we can use the Natural Q & A from any other application.

So if i have an application which takes orders , i would like that.net page or SharePoint page to have a interface where i can query show orders by region it should show the equivalent report there or i can ask a different question.

This will really help in more adoption of Power BI in embedded scenarios and also will be really useful from a business perspective.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add REST API to refresh data sources

My SQL database does processing each night, and when it is "done", I want to kick off a refresh of my dashboards... but there is no way to do this.

Need to add a REST API to kick off a refresh of a data source.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. how can I connect to SAP to get data directly.

How can I connect directly into SAP

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.