Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. DAX Function for Road Mileage

It would be great if there was a formula to determine the Stem Road Distance between two points. We have used the surface distance (Bird's Eye), but road vectors would be fantastic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Generate report based on the parameter value which we pass through Web API URL

Generate report based on the parameter value which we pass through Web API URL

1. I Created a MVC WebApi and it is returning data in XML format in browser

2. I pass a parameter to WebApi url in browser it returns respective data based on parameter what I pass (http://localhost:51919/api/getdbinfo/GetCustomerByID/?customerID=1) and this gets data from parameterized stored procedure

3. I built a report using power bi desktop using Get data - From web(http://localhost:51919/api/getdbinfo/GetCustomerByID/?customerID=1)

4. I published this report in Power BI service it works fine for only customerID=1,
      I am trying to pass different customerID each time and see…
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create connections directly with JSON APIs

Nowadays there are many systems in the SAAS clouds and the best way to access the data is by APIS configuration, but if POWER BI can consume directly with these connections the work would be perfect.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Programmatic interface for Excel's 3D Maps (formerly Power Map)

I'd REALLY love some way to automate the "data refresh" and 'export to video' or 'capture screenshot' functions in Excel's 3D maps via code. VBA, Macros, PowerShell, or something else; I'm not picky. Please provide a way to initiate these functions aside from manually opening the workbook, launching 3D maps, and pushing the button myself.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [PowerBI Embedded] Get the reportid of a newly created report.

While PowerBI embedded allows for multi-tenant solutions, it doesn't include many of the report management features (e.g. report permissions, subscriptions) that PowerBI does.

We're wrapping our own management features around PowerBI Embedded but to do so, we need the report id of reports created within the Embedded interface.

Currently, there are no events on the javascript side that will notify us of a report being created/saved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Flexible Columns

Allow for queries that enable the use of a flexible/extensible data model. SQL Sample: Select * from [dbo].[table].

At the same time allow the model of uploaded pbix files to be updated when columns are added/removed from sources

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. How can I receive support for power BI embedded, may be a call or meeting.

We´ve been looking for a BI Software, and we think that power BI may be an option, but we like to know more about Embedded reports, it's possible to schedule a meeting?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. JSON Builder

It would be great to have a JSON builder that make it easier to work with restful APIs

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. add connecting port to ooyala API

Ooyala is a video stats tracking tool that offers an analytics API for users to pull customized data which is not available in the UI.

Power BI currently didn't have a connector to Ooyala nor support connecting to their web API as a web source.

Ooyala Analytics API needs 3 necessary parameters to be able to connect (api_key, expires, signature), power bi didn't support those parameters and can't be fed through easily.

Please add the connecting to Ooyala!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Map User names through API

It would be helpful to set up new entries in the "Map User Names" section programmatically. I can think of several uses to map external users into our system using this, but we'd want to set it through some sort of automation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Security: authorization to embed dashboard with Power Bi Service

Good evening,

due to security reasons, it could be appropriate to require authentication when you embed a report or dashboard published in Power BI Service. Currently, this control is not supported.
    It could be appropriate if a user that wish to share a dashboard or report (for example into a Web page) provided an access token, not allowing to see the dashboard without it.
    Without this level of security, there could be lack of security, especially when you manage any sensitive data.

Best regards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. read tile value through Power BI API

I see that all we can get from API is embedding URL and other metadata but not actual values. Anything in pipeline for this?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When would Microsoft Cognitive Services Text Analytics API support Dutch language?

I need to run Text Analytics on Dutch text / messages. Sad that Microsoft Cognitive Services Text Analytics API does not support Dutch language yet.

1. Any idea, when can this feature be available?

2. Is there any alternative to run Text Analytics on Dutch text and create nice visuals in Power BI?

Thanks,
    Sudhir

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CRM Pipedrie

API for crm pipedrive

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add the possibility to check Gateaway state via API

Check by API if powerbi service is up and if gateaway is ok.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PowerBI Embedded service should allow API access to change visualization element charasteristics ( colors, fonts, etc)

PowerBi embeeded api looks rather limited. If I as a developer want to provide SaaS reporting using power bi using my own app, there should be api access to almost everything that we could do using powerbi online tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Extend the Javascript API to allow Visual/Tile level filtering

Currently the only way to allow a user to manipulate the visible data in each visual is to include a slicer on the page, but slicers apply a page level filter which can limit the usefulness of certain visuals if done so, especially if you would like to prevent particular visuals from being affected by certain filters .

What would be nice is the ability to be able to access the visuals on a given page and apply filters programmatically to each one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to set and get slicers using Javascript API

The documentation listening to changes in filters and assigning filters dynamically using the Javascript API is unclear about slicers (https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Filters). Need better documentation about slicing and ability to get and set slicers pragmatically.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  APIs and Embedding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. edit query online

After we post query, after some time we need to update credential or change some parameter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.