How can we improve Power BI?

Vertical and horizontal multiples (Small Multiples/Trellis)

As it is realized in Power View for Excel. THNX!

743 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alexander Lyskovets shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add that you need the ability/option to set the axis to be independent of each other i.e. not use the same scale across each multiple.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no Trellis that even OBIEE has...a bit disappointed.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Power BI should have this. This was in Power View I am just not following how MS is missing how important such little things are that makes a company choose another tool because of such little things. Also why would power BI be a step backwards in any aspect from power View.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fundamental need. I currently use Spotfire which is amazing for visual flexibility and far outclasses Power BI at the moment

• Bill logsdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trellis plots are heavily used in Tableau and in Spotfire. By quickly being able to generate separate plot for each value of a data field you can compare the values of different subsets with each other. This is especially powerful when used in conjunction with curve fitting, which enables you to see the different trends of each data set.

• Josh Nugent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree using trellis views provides a great way of charting against a common axis. Tableau does it beautifully.

• Rui Quintino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe a cool mode of using this would be a new section available for most charts, like the new tooltip added recently (all visuals benefitted) We could drag& drop fields on the new area, and it would create multiple chart based on that field. Also adjust series options (global, per chart) ,etc.

One of the two last features I really do miss from PowerView, slicer search & multiple charts.

• Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a widely used and very powerful feature in Tableau - currently its a key differentiator

• Lauren Luttrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add ability to add a "group by" field to reports that will create small multiples for a graph. For example, if I add 'Customer Category' as the group by column, a separate graph will be created for each 'Customer Category.' Currently, I can copy graphs and filter to one, but when the number of categories increases, I have to manually add a new graph. Also, when users filter for a subset, the graphs won't update correctly.

• Mark Wilcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be extremely useful. For example, if I have several series (say n lines of different colours) on a time-series chart, this looks cluttered and difficult to differentiate lines. Much clearer if I have n charts each with a single line on the chart. Even better when I want to need to show two related lines per chart/category. This is very common requirement value vs moving average or actual bvs budget, usage vs limit..

Charts could be stacked side-buy-side (horizontal), directly below each other (vertical) or could simply wrap (side-by-side to page width then next row). We weed a new "Multiples" option in the properties well of most chart types that takes values: Horizontal, Vertical, Wrap.

This was in Excel's PowerView and small multiples are a basic staple of data visualisation techniques.

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Header was supposed to be called "small multiples" instead of Smalltalk...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.