How can we improve Power BI?

source control

PowerBI.com should have some type of Source Code control integration for change control

654 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Steineke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a few things - version control in tfs, ability to diff, edit code behind during a merge in order for Power BI to scale at enterprise level.

• Ginger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Technically there is source control with #PowerBI if you have #Office365. If you create a workgroup, which is best practice for a corporate environment, a Sharepoint site is created for the group, which has things like check in, check out and versioning. No merging though, which I would like. Here's a link for more information http://wp.me/p4beUo-nU

• Eric Pieters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thoughts here. Integration with source control must be possible, regardless if Power BI is used as "self-service" or for formal development.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though Power BI is marketed as a "self-service" tool rather than a developer tool there are no doubt many formal developments being undertaken with it. Therefore, hopefully Microsoft will include some developer friendly functionality,

Would be good to be able to point it to an existing TFS project and then create a new project to hold pbix files so that you can keep all artefacts (e.g. table scripts, stored procedures, SSIS jobs etc) in the one place. An auto commit option upon publishing a report would be good too.

Would also be cool if reports could be viewed (if not edited) within Visual Studio. The ability to edit reports using VS would make PowerBI more consistent with other microsft BI tools.

• Michael Reisz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently use QlikView as our BI platform, which integrates (indirectly through SVN) with GitHub. QlikView reports (QVW's) are broken down into a series of XML and text files, and a single binary file. It would be nice to have a solution like this for easy integration with any source control system.

• pesmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's my dream workflow:
    1. My developer creates (on their own computer) a new BI chart that displays my data just the way I want it
    2. They "publish" to the web and the source code goes with it
    3. Enjoy the awesomeness of PowerBI on the web!

-------- time passes

4. I tell a different developer to update the chart
    5. They download the source code from the web, right where it was published!
    6. They update chart and when they publish, the new code is saved to the web!

Right now my team has actually lost source code to a chart, requiring us to recreate the chart from memory. This was because we didn't even think that the source code wouldn't be saved

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just use Git. It's binary files so it's not great for mergs / changes, but checking out previous commits has worked for going back and keeping a historical record of data.

• Kayle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I was able to use tfs in visual studio to accomplish this. I created a new sql server project under my main ssas solution and am able to add powerbi files to a new tree folder structure.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are many separate requests for some sort of source control / change control of report development. thats hiding the number of votes for it.

Suggest something like SSRS report development a visual studio project that could be optional and connected to a source control provider.

• CDATA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support/integration with Visual Studio Team Services / TFS ASAP so that we can convince Corporate IT to let us use PowerBI for production deployments.

• Ori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alternatively, even make pbix something that is text base and let us push it into GIT

• Sukhbat Tumur-Ochir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be high priority. This is a blocker for our team to adapt Power BI. No dev will use it unless we can track the changes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to track the change history and be able to determine version differences.

• Shane Grimes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, not being able to identify who published a report and when is a very real challenge.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.