How can we improve Power BI?

source control

PowerBI.com should have some type of Source Code control integration for change control

653 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Steineke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • wsb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also work for PowerBi for Reporting Services

• BV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is basic need for professional development work

• Charlie Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft made PowerBI Template (.pbit) files more flexible, i.e.:

1) capability to export a .pbit from PowerBI Report Server (and cloud)
    2) OR capability to export a .pbit by command line from a .pbix, preferably PowerShell so it does not depend on the PowerBI Desktop .exe
    3) capability to upload a .pbit to PowerBI Report Server (and cloud)

then some of the deployment automation could be completed by the community which has done of some this work already

Git-LFS has been an interesting solution as well, but I think is ultimately just a crutch for the main problem here in that the file format is inflexible

• deadpin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting... a text friendly format is really needed. Not only for source control but for editing too; no one likes going through a cumbersome UI to make repetitive changes or setting up repetitive relations, filters, and settings changes for every control...

• Russell Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this too. I use BeyondCompare for diffs, so for me the solution is ideally just the ability to point PowerBI at a folder with the same folder structure as the zip file. You could then just version control the folder. That should be a small enhancement as it is just the ability to either OpenFile(filepath) or OpenFolder(folderpath)

• Swapnil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't understand why this can not be done yet. In the end pbix file is a zipped version of folders, xml and text files. As a work around, we have been using beyond compare on unzipped pbix files to compare. But we can't do much more.
    an in built compare mechanism with DevOps/Git and/or Visual Studio would be very much welcome.

• somethingseriousherenow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Total showstopper. Even if MS has got the opinion, that Power BI is not a developer tool, source control is essential for continuous development. I understand that there is mainly a problem of the way pbix files are stored, as there is no xml structure so that diffs are not doable for now. But still: commenting the changes someone did is absolutely essential!

• Artur Correia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 ... How can we deliver an enterprise PowerBI project without source control? I need to integrate all PowerBI Reports as part of Azure DevOps / Visual Studio project.

• Matthew Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see at least the DAX queries stored in a way that can be source controlled, perhaps an option to store them in separate files that can be loaded into the pbix file?

• Thomas Jespersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG Microsoft! This gotta be one of most commented Idea I've seen on your idea forums. And you don't even respond.

• Alejandro Piris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For sure... all "serious" products have a way or another to perform this.
    Guys, let's talk seriously... be "serious".

• Emil Glownia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my twitter and linked in request to vote for this very basic feature request, so basic it was missed by Microsoft. This idea was getting 1 vote every 3 days and now it got 46 votes in 48h, which clearly shows its a must have.
    Take care
    Emil

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is happening to me daily, I developped and published reports, then my key users start creating and updating reports on the portal, then if they need any work on measures or aditional data i have to download and apply the updates then push. I would like to work on the same published pbix and just hold key users from editing while working on it.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.