How can we improve Power BI?

Export PowerBI Desktop to CSV/Excel

Please provide the ability to export PowerBI desktop reports to csv/excel, some users need the data from time to time

1,276 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Lance Delano responded  · 

We’ve implemented export data to CSV. You can open a CSV file in Excel — Excel is often the default program to open CSV files. We hope this handles this feature request. If it does not, please open a new idea.

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

30K rows is ~2% enough rows. Need to be able to export much more data.

• Bom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it hard for you guys to remove the limit of 30k rows? This is a big bummer.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still not completed to satisfaction. Is there any plan to make this somewhat unlimited?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
    Why excel in .xlsx format is forgotten? .CSV format is not usefull at all for end users...

• Didier Vaillant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't help but support all the request below. 30k Units limit is too low. I can hardly use the raw data as i am cleaning/adding some information using power query.

When will this be fixed? I need to export 6 million rows I created in a report. PBI was able to import these rows.
    Thanks

30k is really way far from enough even if I slice the data by month. It's an era of Big Data!

30K rows....really? This isn't amateur hour Microsoft. Unless you are running the local pizza shop odds are you will be working with more than 30K rows. Tableau for the win.

I agree with the others, 30k is not nearly enough. It's the same limitation with many Microsoft D365 Finance & Operations reports and that's why we turned to other reporting tools. This one obviously won't help. Please adjust.

Please extend the csv export limit to more than 30K rows. It's hard to believe a big data tool has a limit of only 30K rows for csv files.

• Pablo Matanzo Alonso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please extend the csv export limit to more than 30K rows. It's hard to believe a big data tool has a limit of only 30K rows for csv files.

This cannot be real..

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

• Jason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can I only export 30,000 lines? Cmon folks, you should be able to do alot more.

• Arjun Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. Very limiting! I am surprised that the folks at PowerBi do not understand the basic need for this feature. Please remove the 'data sampling' error when exporting to CSV. Let the user export it even if it is 5GB file. PowerBI in our org is still considered the cheaper less feature rich version of Tableau. This is one of the reasons why!

• Cole Fornia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem I see here is .csv is dependent on identifying a delimiter, using comma on it's export. If your data (like text) has a comma in it, you can't reasonably convert the file into excel. The fact that this is in the web UI, makes it confusing that I have to upload to then view the data in the best format.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.