How can we improve Power BI?

Refresh dashboards tiles when i change a report

It very annoying having to re-draw every dashboard that uses a specific report. It would be nice having automatic refresh of the dashboard tile when I change a report involved.

394 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alberto Alpizar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  lorey responded  · 

We’re working on a solution that we believe will solve this problem. Stay tuned.

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be useful, but not high priority in my mind compared some of the other improvements needed.

• Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said this really seems like a bug. I made the most trivial change - altering the Visual Level Filters for a Card Visual. Bang - this issue kicks in and I have to manually delete and re-add that visual to the dashboard. Just seems so silly and obvious - amazed it has not been addressed yet.

• Pen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we need this change but I am guessing you have it as a low priority as you haven't updated the community since 2015.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that this idea has fallen off the radar. Microsoft, could you please take a 2nd look?

Glad to see this is an idea. Not so glad to see they were working on a solution nearly three years ago and this isn't closed out.

I would add that just updating the data behind the tile is not sufficient. If the format of the visual changes, if field names are altered, slicers affecting it are changed (in the version published to the service), or even if the type of visual changes (line graph to bar graph for instance), these should all be automatically reflected in the dashboard tile.

Could we have a status update please? It has been 2 1/2 years since working on a solution was started.

This feature is critical to automate dashboards.

+1 , I see this as an important feature. I use them for team scorecards. When the individual on the scorecard needs to be updated, the dashboard does not update. It a pain to create dashboards with mostly the same data for 20 different individuals

• Ashok Podugu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really frustrating.. why management/everyone needs a snapshot ...if that is the case there is no point in developing dashboards at all with Power BI.
        I can take a picture using snipping tool and attach all those pictures together and show it to management.

This feature need to be prioritized. We get embarrassed during senior management presentations when they ask about the number pinned on the dash board which has no relation with latest refresh

• gauri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tiles are not refreshing on Power Bi Portal.
        Everytime i have to pin report.
        please let us know permanent solution .

• kapil Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really its flustering, you said you are guys are working in Nov 2015, still is this not fixed.
        every functionality has lot of bugs.

• Janine Xavier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE DELIVERED? It has been two years. It's ridiculous how much time we waste repinning tiles every time we update a filter in a report!

• Harshini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be so much helpful as we use dashboards a lot and every time we change something in a report, we need to re-pin the tiles in the dashboard, as there is no automatic refreshing of dashboard tiles from the source report.

What would be the tentative timeline for this feature to be available ?

• Pim Vermeulen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@DAvid

How can i make sure the 'hard selected filters' won't interact with the tile i want to place on the dashboard when the tile(card visual in my situation) is placed on a report page that is using hard filters?

Kind regards,

Pim

• DAvid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 trick...Pin a live report page to your dashboard this will drive the dashboard to automatically refresh.
        But If you tiles still don't refresh its probably because you have 'hard selected' filters on them. Trick create a measure that dynamically updates with no need to select hard filters then these will also update.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.