How can we improve Power BI?

When will the KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be available on PowerBI Desktop?

KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators were available in Power Pivot. With the new Power BI Desktop this feature is not available anymore. If you import from PP to the Desktop it converts the RYG Indicator Dots to a number. Will the Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be added back to PowerBI Desktop? If so When?

5,067 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! To give you an update here, we’ve begun work on this feature!

The first step will be bringing icon sets as a conditional formatting option. You’ll be able to set rules and icons, very similar to what you can do in Excel today. We want to get this out to you quickly, so it’ll be available in table and matrix visuals only to begin with.

Based on the comments on this thread, we’re focusing on the indicators first and looking for feedback on how soon after we need to follow with model-based KPIs. Please keep letting us know in the comments if you need model support for this too!

Thanks for your patience and for engaging and voting!

234 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a data manager for an educational company, usng this tool is fantastic but needs conditional formatting. Please consider including this into PowerBI

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring more than just KPI red/yellow/green, but Icon sets similar to what is available in Excel, and is available in Power View.

This feature is definitely missing. Need simple visual (table, matrix) with possibility to add simple icons (up/down and icon for no chage).

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Work in online education company with many Excel based tools that include conditional format icon sets. PowerPivot/PowerView also supports 5 icon sets with KPI's. Please include all conditional format Icon Sets in Excel into PowerBI.

I work in a healthcare environment and everybody asks for trend indicators (green arrow up, red arrow down, blue arrow even)

• Paul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at the very least give us the same capability we've had in SSAS for over a decade. KPI definitions are lightweight but present in Power Pivot and SSAS Tabular. Seems like an easy add for Power BI.

• Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, especially for service health type dashboards. integration of the image url's into conditional formatting would be a plus as well.

• Ketan Deshpande commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conditional formatting is really necessary ! Its a basic necessity for any data visualization developer. Need it badly in Power BI

• Pedro Innecco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only the text, but also the background of the cell in a table/matrix, such as:

<10 = red
    10~20 = amber
    >20 = green

• Wilson Sarmiento commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. This is a great functionality in PowerPivot that Power BI is missing and it's absolutely necessary...

I hope you can add it as soon as possible!

• Paul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The KPI feature has been a standard in SSAS and Excel for many years. I was surprised that it wasn't part of Power BI from the beginning. I'd also like to have the option to calculate the Status and Trend properties separately, like we can in SSAS but just tie them to a hidden measure (e.g -1, 0, 1)

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that we need to conditional format on a text field. Otherwise I need to do a hack to convert text to an arbitrary number which is meaningless to business users to have that number on a color background. In the end, my manager prefers non-conditional formatting and just display the text otherwise until this is fixed.

• Cristianrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not complete!
    Very important.... This is a necessity: Incoporating KPI visuals that can be expressed in a Table. Basic and relevant...!!! Please. I noticed that this need has been posted for a long time period but I can't understand why it is not solved yet. I strongly recommend to incorporate this basic but subtantial improvement for further versions. Thanks, Felipe Baritto.

Creo que sería un agregado de suma utilidad poder incluir caracteres gráficos como datos de una tabla ... para ello quizás alcance con poder utilizar otra tabla de caracteres, por ejemplo, Wingdings.

Muchas gracias por la atención !!!

Dany

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.