How can we improve Power BI?

When will the KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be available on PowerBI Desktop?

KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators were available in Power Pivot. With the new Power BI Desktop this feature is not available anymore. If you import from PP to the Desktop it converts the RYG Indicator Dots to a number. Will the Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be added back to PowerBI Desktop? If so When?

5,098 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! To give you an update here, we’ve begun work on this feature!

The first step will be bringing icon sets as a conditional formatting option. You’ll be able to set rules and icons, very similar to what you can do in Excel today. We want to get this out to you quickly, so it’ll be available in table and matrix visuals only to begin with.

Based on the comments on this thread, we’re focusing on the indicators first and looking for feedback on how soon after we need to follow with model-based KPIs. Please keep letting us know in the comments if you need model support for this too!

Thanks for your patience and for engaging and voting!

235 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add this. It would be great if we could choose the shape of the indicator too (arrow, triangle, traffic light with arrow inside).

• Alberto Massacesi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is already possible to do this in both Desktop and cloud version of Power BI. As a matter of facts I created dashboards including this feature since last December. The approach is to create a calculated column as follows:

CheckList_Status =
    CONCATENATE("https://.../sites/projects/",
    if('QS for PBI'[Check List] = "3 - Green", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-0.gif",
    if('QS for PBI'[Check List]= "2 - Yellow", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-1.gif",
    if('QS for PBI'[Check List] = "1 - Red", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-2.gif", "_layouts/images/milestone.gif"
    ))))

The above code assumes that the traffic light pictures are stored on a sharpoint site whose root domain is "...". These are standard Icons present in that collection.

Then the new column within power BI need to be mapped to Modeling/data category "Image URL"

I have a Column with Text Fields "G" = Green , "R" = Red & "A" = Amber. I want to color either the fonts or entire Cell with respective Color to ensure that the status is clearly visible. This is presently not possible, as conditional formatting only works for cells or Columns with values & not for text. Please amend this & make conditional formatting work for Text fields as well.

• Willem de Jonge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, add this to the possibilities.
    It must be somewhere in the hidden features, because I still have one table in my model still supporting this Kpi feature from Excel in one of the previous versions.
    It still works, but cannot be modified or applied on other measures.

• v- commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we have text based conditional formatting on Power BI? It is such a basic use case. I wonder if we have any workaround to format a cell color based on the text it contains. Please let me know if anyone has any idea.

• Staeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While the UNICHAR DAX functionality works, it's pretty yestertech in a "graphical" environment.
    I don't believe icon sets for KPIs have not been included natively in Power BI.
    Please add them asap.

• James Midgley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm struggling to understand why you have released a half baked feature. Text based conditional formatting is surely a minimal update. All I want to do is something that would take seconds in Excel and that's colour code a RAG status

I wonder how it comes not to have the text based conditional formatting supported in PowerBI ?!!!

• Charles Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The KPI needs to have the ability to show Red/Green values just based on whether the metric displayed is positive or negative. I.e. make the need for a goal/trend optional. We've done the calculations in the back end for whether the varance is +/- but cannot display it properly wit hthe KPI and there's no other options to display one large number with conditional formatting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.