How can we improve Power BI?

When will the KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be available on PowerBI Desktop?

KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators were available in Power Pivot. With the new Power BI Desktop this feature is not available anymore. If you import from PP to the Desktop it converts the RYG Indicator Dots to a number. Will the Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be added back to PowerBI Desktop? If so When?

5,067 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! To give you an update here, we’ve begun work on this feature!

The first step will be bringing icon sets as a conditional formatting option. You’ll be able to set rules and icons, very similar to what you can do in Excel today. We want to get this out to you quickly, so it’ll be available in table and matrix visuals only to begin with.

Based on the comments on this thread, we’re focusing on the indicators first and looking for feedback on how soon after we need to follow with model-based KPIs. Please keep letting us know in the comments if you need model support for this too!

Thanks for your patience and for engaging and voting!

234 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daníel Hjörvar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got 3 votes from me. Colored columns in a chart should have the ability to be value based. E.g. if the value is below zero the column turns blue, above zero then red.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a complete must for measuring KPI's based on targets and goals.

Specifically when using card and guage reporting!

Not sure why this is marked as completed. When will we be able to create KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators in PowerBI Desktop?

• William TAPSOBA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very surprised to see that KPI are not in Power BI 2.0. Hope it will be included in the next release

• Robert Barbrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed unless I can use it in BI Desktop. I shouldn't have to use a bunch of other tools

• Rémi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The november update allows us to display KPI. When can we create some KPIs in Power BI Desktop?

• Mike H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate that KPI's can now be exposed in a dashboard, however, being forced to use SSAS tabular, MD or Power Pivot is too complicated for most peoples needs. Why do I have to use 2 or more different tools to get a KPI?

It really needs to be part of the PBI Desktop.

• Dave Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experimenting with the customization synoptic visual, make an image with 5 boxes, each box is a color etc... No joy yet, but it's a great custom viz.

I need this too. A KPI visual right out of the box will be very useful to create powerful and meaningful dashboards.

• Tom Michaels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this, and also need to be able to use colors within tables of information to highlight data elements.

• Haegi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I thinks a preview is now available with the latest version of PowerBI Desktop

• Patrick Willborn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be pretty useful if the text colour of a KPI is related to a defined goal setting, i.E. having a goal "0" and if the shown value is 20, it will be green, if it is -10 it will be displayed red.

• Tas Ranson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A general traffic light indication that allows up to 5 indications (using 4 break points) as was available in Excel would make sense. We should be able to configure colours for the various stages and change the symbol as well.

This feature is a must and without it in Power BI definitely takes away from all of the other new features in Power BI. Even Power View has KPIs now.

• Eric Sergerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hability to create KPI like in PowerPivot for Excel is a must. Also, KPI graphics like stoplight and/or red/green arrows would be great.

• Manjunath Hireholi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important feature which Microsoft is not adding it even though this idea was posted in October 2014, almost 10 months ago!!

Will Thompson.....Don't you think this should be on the top most priority list?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.