How can we improve Power BI?

When will the KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be available on PowerBI Desktop?

KPI Red/Yellow/Green Indicators were available in Power Pivot. With the new Power BI Desktop this feature is not available anymore. If you import from PP to the Desktop it converts the RYG Indicator Dots to a number. Will the Red/Yellow/Green Indicators be added back to PowerBI Desktop? If so When?

2,771 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

178 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been trying to work out how to do RAG Indicators, would be good if they aren't just limited to tables so can be used in cards or other visuals

Voting YES to get this feature added! Clearly there's a ton of interest. I truly can't believe it's not already available.

• Paul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kim, when you do add KPI design to Power BI, please consider these suggestions in my blog post: https://sqlserverbi.blog/2018/03/28/how-to-add-kpi-indicators-to-a-table-in-power-bi
        The KPI designer in SSDT for SSAS Tabular & Power Pivot meets 95% of the need for intermediate level users but having the ability to define measure-like DAX script for each element value (like SSAS MD) for advanced users would carry this feature across the finish line.

Yes, please add this. It would be great if we could choose the shape of the indicator too (arrow, triangle, traffic light with arrow inside).

• Alberto Massacesi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is already possible to do this in both Desktop and cloud version of Power BI. As a matter of facts I created dashboards including this feature since last December. The approach is to create a calculated column as follows:

CheckList_Status =
        CONCATENATE("https://.../sites/projects/",
        if('QS for PBI'[Check List] = "3 - Green", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-0.gif",
        if('QS for PBI'[Check List]= "2 - Yellow", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-1.gif",
        if('QS for PBI'[Check List] = "1 - Red", "_layouts/images/kpipeppers-2.gif", "_layouts/images/milestone.gif"
        ))))

The above code assumes that the traffic light pictures are stored on a sharpoint site whose root domain is "...". These are standard Icons present in that collection.

Then the new column within power BI need to be mapped to Modeling/data category "Image URL"

I have a Column with Text Fields "G" = Green , "R" = Red & "A" = Amber. I want to color either the fonts or entire Cell with respective Color to ensure that the status is clearly visible. This is presently not possible, as conditional formatting only works for cells or Columns with values & not for text. Please amend this & make conditional formatting work for Text fields as well.

• Willem de Jonge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, add this to the possibilities.
        It must be somewhere in the hidden features, because I still have one table in my model still supporting this Kpi feature from Excel in one of the previous versions.
        It still works, but cannot be modified or applied on other measures.

• v- commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we have text based conditional formatting on Power BI? It is such a basic use case. I wonder if we have any workaround to format a cell color based on the text it contains. Please let me know if anyone has any idea.

• Staeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While the UNICHAR DAX functionality works, it's pretty yestertech in a "graphical" environment.
        I don't believe icon sets for KPIs have not been included natively in Power BI.
        Please add them asap.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.