How can we improve Power BI?

Make functions refreshable when the data source is a parameter of the function

Like discussed here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Refreshing-queries-with-functions-doens-t-work/td-p/2450 - queries where data access happens inside a function and where the data source is dependent on parameters to the function should be refreshable.

698 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bernd Loigge shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

85 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried building a refreshable M Query using Datachant's iterative function here: https://datachant.com/2016/06/27/cursor-based-pagination-power-query/ and Chris Webb's method to trick the Web.Contents() static analysis of the URL here: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/23/web-contents-m-functions-and-dataset-refresh-errors-in-power-bi/ BUT this combo doesn't seem to work. Any modification to the Web.Contents() text string that's passed into the function breaks the GeneratedList function. HELP!

• Thomas Krekling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a parameter based report, refresh works on it. I have connected the report through my own developed web api. Using a azure app function proxy. The report refreshes nightly after uploading to powerbi cloud

yes it gwould be very useful. I'm getting a lot the "You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because" error

This is a must have feature. I have multiple reports from APIs with cursor-based pagination in which this is a huge problem.

• Danaraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have function in order to use parameterization in data source.

• Justin Fenico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just realized this is an issue and really hampers the ability to use any type of Power Bi Template with parameters in it.

• Garry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hows this going? any progress especially an issue with all the API data out there

• Lam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I expected this to be a basic requirement, but surprised that it's not there, Please add this

Thank you very much !

Serious functionality problem here. At least provide us feedback at the construction phase of reporting. Painful when you realise a new solution needs to be generated to resolve this 'bug'

• Vikas Garg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am facing the same issue. I have 10-15 reports which were working fine before couple of weeks and all were using function but it stopped refreshing suddenly and now I am in deep trouble.
        How this can be resolved quickly ?

How many votes are needed to implement this functionality. I have created several workarounds to overcome this hurdle, but since last month, the scheduled refresh on queries with custom functions and parameters has stopped working.

• Eric V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just spent 3 hours solving a function / M challenge - to find out that PBI.Com can't run functions. Nice. (Grrrr)

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.