Personal Gateway Scheduling Enhancements
The "Schedule Refresh" section of the Personal Gateway could be improved. Here are a few suggestions:
1. "Schedule Refresh" only supports "Daily" and "Weekly". I would like for it to support "Every XXX Minutes", "Hourly", and "Monthly".
2. Datasets do not support multiple schedules like a SQL Server agent job. You can basically define one schedule with up to 8 times. I would like more flexibility with scheduling.
3. The maximum number of times you can specify is 8. I want the refresh the data once every hour, but with only 8 options, the most I can do with this is once every 3 hours or once an hour for 8 hours of the day. If I could enter 24 options, then I wouldn't necessarily need (although I would still prefer) the "Hourly" option described above.
Any update on this? Is this being considered for the backlog?
I would add this not only for the Personal, but also for the Enterprise gateway (if there is a distinction).
More options in the schedule would be very welcome. We use Premium, so adding a slot for every (half) hour is very time consuming..
I too need "every xx minutes" and "hourly".
Direct Query is not supported for a web source...and it might not be the best idea to direct query a web source...but we need to refresh rather often!!!
I agree... 8 is not enough. I need it every hour and even every 30min during a business day. My customers want to see data as close to what appears in the system at any given time
Johan N commented
The whole "Schedule Refresh" section could definetly be improved. As stated in bullet 2 above, it would be very helpful to be able to set multiple schedules. This would enable data refresh when data is refreshed in the sources, which is often different for different days in the week or month.
Neville de Sousa commented
Major BI platforms support maximum flexibility when it comes to scheduled refresh. Why are you constraining users to a maximum of 8 daily refreshes? What's the reason behind this?
I agree with some of these being more important than others.
1. I need "Monthly" as an option.
2. I need the ability to refresh on multiple schedules.
3. This is not a priority for us at this time.
Isn't something like an hourly refresh approaching the concept of streaming data?
I agree, most important for us is hourly scheduled refresh. Not limiting it to 8 times per day.
I agree that the scheduling should be improved. At the moment you can only specify starting on the exact hour or half hour. This means that all the load goes into 2 time points per hour. Sometimes I need to wait for 20 minutes before the refresh is actually completed. A simple change to allow starting on any minute of the hour would no doubt improve this response time.