How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field in the matrix would be nice. Thanks!

2,145 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SeanSean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looks like Amanda’s link didn’t work so I wanted to update again. Here’s our documentation on the new preview:
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-matrix-visual/

There are a few highly requested features that we know are missing (resizing columns, sorting etc.) and they’re outlined at the bottom of that document .They’ll come in future releases!

You’ll also see a link right at the bottom of that page to a survey where you can gives us your feedback on what we should prioritize on top of this preview.

and please do keep commenting here – we read everything even if we can’t reply to them.

Thanks for the feedback!

155 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone else have an issue with the page resetting once you scroll down on the matrix preview?

• Robin ClementRobin Clement commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm missing the sorting function in the Matrix Preview visual! Like SSRS, you should get an additional option in Column Formatting where you can set sorting on the Group rows or Detail rows.

• Todd ChittendenTodd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the new Matrix visual, introduced in the March 2017 update, there is still some basic cross-highlight functionality that is missing, making for MISLEADING reports!
        If you set up a New Matrix with two level on the Rows, then add your Value, and also add a Card visual to the report page and in that display the same Value as utilized by the New Matrix.
        Now, browse the matrix by clicking on a member of the top level. Notice that the Card gets filtered.
        Now turn on Drill-Down for the Matrix and click on a top level again. Notice that the Card does NOT get filtered!!!

Why can't I have functionality of BOTH Drill-Down AND CROSS-FILTERING from the matrix?!?
        BTW, this same limitation exists for bar, column and other chart types that support drill-down.

• John O.John O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The matrix tables in Power BI are absolute garbage. I do not understand why it is so difficult for the same company that created Pivot Tables for Excel cannot get this right for Power BI. Why cant I create a matrix that has some hierarchies expanded and some collapsed? Why cant I create a calculated column right in the Matrix instead of having to create a measure in the raw data? Why can't I make matrix column title aliases instead of it saying 'sum of xxx' or 'average of xxx'? This list goes on. I would love to better utilize this feature and Power BI in general, but until this visualization can even do the bare basics that excel can do it is useless.

• Todd ChittendenTodd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Matrix looks good, for the most part, but what happened to the Totals at the bottom? Without that it's pretty much useless.
        Also, it would be nice to have a way to include additional non-measure fields that are also NOT levels of breakdown.

Example: Suppose you wanted to have a matrix of people's Names on the rows, but also wanted to display their City of residence next to the name

You would want the layout to look like this:

Bob | El Paso | $$ | $$
        Jim | Detroit | $$ | $$

What you DON'T want is this:
        Bob
        El Paso | $$ | $$
        Bob total | $$ | $$
        Jim
        Detroit | $$ | $$
        Total Jim | $$ | $$

In Analysis Services it was a non-aggregated dimension property. In Excel Pivot tables there was a way to format your pivot so it resembled the desired layout.

Any chance of adding that capability?

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot, please add like in Excel the KPI possibility, with font formating (arrows up and down with color for instance)

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This greatly helped the using of PowerBI. Thank you ! I cannot understand other guys criticising this new possibility..
        While Exploring, it should also have the possibility to filter other Visualisations too.
        Waiting for future releases. Already took the Survey ;-)

• Adam KruzelAdam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need the +/- to individually collapse and expand groups. I think the more like Excel you make this, the easier it is for users to adopt especially when the functionality in Excel is better than what's in Power BI.

• Kristen PugiKristen Pugi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good long long long waited start.
        Like: good speed; cross higlighting in all possible ways; drilldown options. It immedialtely opened financial reporting options in even better manner than in Excel due cross-highlighting capabilities in PBI.
        Waiting to be added: +/- drilldown like in Excel; formatting; and specially conditional formatting using ohter measures; sorting

• KarlKarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok It's a start.
        Three issues I have:
        1. I can't adjust the column widths manually
        2. URLs when used as Values are not clickable links despite their column being categorised as Web URL. They are clickable when used in a table and in the new matrix when used as Rows *but only when* drilled down to their level.
        3. Columns seem to be formatted as centre aligned - I can't find a formatting tool to change that.

I spent an hour playing around with the matrix getting to understand how it works, I think it shows promise... I agree with people's comments about the +/- buttons being a preference - do we really need to teach our users a different interface?

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you drill down and then want to go back to the parent report it brings you back to the top of the matrix, you completely lose track of where you were in the report. This really should be fixed and I'm not sure why this wasn't done as simple +/- toggles.

Please look at the Hierarchy slicer visual. Using that visual and adding the ability to Include columns for Amount and making sure it would Grand Total would be a 100% fix for all financial reporting needs.

1. It has +/- buttons (displayed as a sideways pyramid)

2. You can selectively Expand and collapse all groups

3. You can also choose to filter on whatever group or sub group is expanded by selecting a Square

4. All you need to do is Add the ability to Put Values in The Value field and have those values neatly display on the Right hand side

5. Add some simple formatting options and your done! I promise , this would be the end solution to Financial reporting in Power BI.

LOOK AT THE Hierarchy Slicer in the Power BI gallery! That's what financial reporting needs. A simple solution is available and you already are 1/2 way there.

I swear, I am going to have to hire developers myself to get any kind of Financial reporting capabilities.

Microsoft Power BIO team just doesn't understand or have any clue what it takes to actually create a useful Financial reporting visual.

But at least everyone that uses Power BI in our organization had a good laugh. Boy , this is like some weird comedy show.

We have a bet going in the office on how long it will take Microsoft to "Get It" I put my money on 36 months.

Ok, After going to the correct link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/

And enabling the preview feature, I can now confirm more than ever that this is just as useless as a regular Matrix.

1. When drilling you completely loose orientation of other levels. All the other levels disappear making it impossible to see Revenue AND Expenses together

2. No +/- sign is not included so whatever was done has absolutely NOTHING to do with this topic

3. Grand Totals don't work

4. There is no way to see an actual indent of the data making this in my opinion the absolutely most useless waste of time ever .

Please Hire some new developers or at the very least, hire some new Program Managers!

Shame on you Microsoft. Let me know when you actually have something useful.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.