How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field in the matrix would be nice. Thanks!

2,935 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SeanSean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't understand why did is changed ti Under Review when the work was already started on this idea

• BacharBachar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you please add Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons.

I like what you are doing Guys, really.

Thanks a lot, Power BI Team :)

• Adam KruzelAdam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't you "borrow" the functionality of expand and collapse from the Hierarchy Slicer? Nothing you have to re-create here. New users don't instinctively know to right click or use the button in the top left of the visual to drill down. You have to make it obvious and intuitive to the user how to do something without having to figure it out.

• MartinMartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make + expand and - collapse and not vice versa, it is confusing the way it is now reversed compared to all other software

Need to get the ability to look at % of row totals and % of column totals like excel, without writing a formula every time you need to do it, based on fields you are looking at and summing or counting.

I have been playing with the August release of the Matrix, however I am not sure if there is still a limitation with the ROW STEPPED feature, or it may require some grouping or transformation.

I would like it to render as Excel in this fashion:

Col1 - Group
        Col2 - Team
        Col3 - Name
        Col4 | Col5 | Col6 ---- Several columns at same level (ID, Request, Notes)

The current Stepped Column does this:

Col1
        Col2
        Col3

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

• John O.John O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so desperately need this limitation fixed:

"You can only expand all items in a level at once, rather than expanding one category at a time"

I consider the matrix to be an almost USELESS visual without this functionality.

• VidyaSagarVidyaSagar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its is highly recommended to add " +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons", because by viewing the report itself its easy to know the drill down facility is there. Other wise the person don't have the technical stuff on this, in the production environment, how he came to know for seeing drill down data, until he know from other technical person. SSRS reporting and all other competitor tools has this "+/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons", then why Microsoft till did not introduced this feature. Every month Microsoft has introducing new user friendly features.. then why this feature has not been added till now, at least this month June updates we expect to see tis one..

• Faiçal KHANFaiçal KHAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we have the "Grand Rows Total" without Sub-totals into the Matrix Visualization?
        Congratulations for your great tool, improving every day!
        Faiçal

This capability has been around since PivotTables started eons ago. I can't believe it still is not there for both tables and matrices in Power BI.

• Adam KruzelAdam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone else have an issue with the page resetting once you scroll down on the matrix preview?

• Robin ClementRobin Clement commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm missing the sorting function in the Matrix Preview visual! Like SSRS, you should get an additional option in Column Formatting where you can set sorting on the Group rows or Detail rows.

• Todd ChittendenTodd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the new Matrix visual, introduced in the March 2017 update, there is still some basic cross-highlight functionality that is missing, making for MISLEADING reports!
        If you set up a New Matrix with two level on the Rows, then add your Value, and also add a Card visual to the report page and in that display the same Value as utilized by the New Matrix.
        Now, browse the matrix by clicking on a member of the top level. Notice that the Card gets filtered.
        Now turn on Drill-Down for the Matrix and click on a top level again. Notice that the Card does NOT get filtered!!!

Why can't I have functionality of BOTH Drill-Down AND CROSS-FILTERING from the matrix?!?
        BTW, this same limitation exists for bar, column and other chart types that support drill-down.

• John O.John O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The matrix tables in Power BI are absolute garbage. I do not understand why it is so difficult for the same company that created Pivot Tables for Excel cannot get this right for Power BI. Why cant I create a matrix that has some hierarchies expanded and some collapsed? Why cant I create a calculated column right in the Matrix instead of having to create a measure in the raw data? Why can't I make matrix column title aliases instead of it saying 'sum of xxx' or 'average of xxx'? This list goes on. I would love to better utilize this feature and Power BI in general, but until this visualization can even do the bare basics that excel can do it is useless.

• Todd ChittendenTodd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Matrix looks good, for the most part, but what happened to the Totals at the bottom? Without that it's pretty much useless.
        Also, it would be nice to have a way to include additional non-measure fields that are also NOT levels of breakdown.

Example: Suppose you wanted to have a matrix of people's Names on the rows, but also wanted to display their City of residence next to the name

You would want the layout to look like this:

Bob | El Paso | $$ | $$
        Jim | Detroit | $$ | $$

What you DON'T want is this:
        Bob
        El Paso | $$ | $$
        Bob total | $$ | $$
        Jim
        Detroit | $$ | $$
        Total Jim | $$ | $$

In Analysis Services it was a non-aggregated dimension property. In Excel Pivot tables there was a way to format your pivot so it resembled the desired layout.

Any chance of adding that capability?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.