How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field in the matrix would be nice. Thanks!

2,652 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

174 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One important feature in this idea is the expanding of a level with just one item below and be able to hide this (because the subtotal and the one item below have the exact same values)

We can‘t use power bi without this feature. Please don‘t force us to use Qlikview, which is the other option in our shop.

• Selim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is also very important so we can see subtotals collapsed but still retain totals. Right now there is no way to show column totals (at bottom of table) and show line item detail without having the lines totaled which makes large datasets unreadable.
        Imagine 50 lines with 3 sub-lines with 3 sublines, you end up with over 450 lines of just subtotals if you want to display a grand total at the bottom. This is a huge issue and IMHO more important than new data connections..

Don't understand why did is changed ti Under Review when the work was already started on this idea

• Bachar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you please add Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons.

I like what you are doing Guys, really.

Thanks a lot, Power BI Team :)

• Adam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't you "borrow" the functionality of expand and collapse from the Hierarchy Slicer? Nothing you have to re-create here. New users don't instinctively know to right click or use the button in the top left of the visual to drill down. You have to make it obvious and intuitive to the user how to do something without having to figure it out.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make + expand and - collapse and not vice versa, it is confusing the way it is now reversed compared to all other software

Need to get the ability to look at % of row totals and % of column totals like excel, without writing a formula every time you need to do it, based on fields you are looking at and summing or counting.

I have been playing with the August release of the Matrix, however I am not sure if there is still a limitation with the ROW STEPPED feature, or it may require some grouping or transformation.

I would like it to render as Excel in this fashion:

Col1 - Group
        Col2 - Team
        Col3 - Name
        Col4 | Col5 | Col6 ---- Several columns at same level (ID, Request, Notes)

The current Stepped Column does this:

Col1
        Col2
        Col3

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

• John O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so desperately need this limitation fixed:

"You can only expand all items in a level at once, rather than expanding one category at a time"

I consider the matrix to be an almost USELESS visual without this functionality.

• VidyaSagar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its is highly recommended to add " +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons", because by viewing the report itself its easy to know the drill down facility is there. Other wise the person don't have the technical stuff on this, in the production environment, how he came to know for seeing drill down data, until he know from other technical person. SSRS reporting and all other competitor tools has this "+/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons", then why Microsoft till did not introduced this feature. Every month Microsoft has introducing new user friendly features.. then why this feature has not been added till now, at least this month June updates we expect to see tis one..

• Faiçal KHAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we have the "Grand Rows Total" without Sub-totals into the Matrix Visualization?
        Congratulations for your great tool, improving every day!
        Faiçal

This capability has been around since PivotTables started eons ago. I can't believe it still is not there for both tables and matrices in Power BI.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.