How can we improve Power BI?

Matrix +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons

Please add Collapse/Expand buttons in the Matrix Visualizations. Otherwise when all fields are expanded by default the user would have to scroll a lot to find what they are looking for. I could add a slicer to take user to the data they are looking for but then the rest of the data in the matrix disappears and more specifically the overall totals change!Expand/Collapse buttons would keep the overall totals as intended and totals for other fields while allowing the user to only expand the field they are interested in. Also ability to do conditional formatting for a specific field in the matrix would be nice. Thanks!

3,681 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you were at our Microsoft Business Applications Summit, you might have seen Amir and Will demo this feature! We are actively developing it now, and while we do have some more work today before it releases, the release isn’t too far off in the future. You can watch the session they demoed it in here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/businessapplicationssummit/video/BAS2018-204

213 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joachim Schirra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given the pre announcement in the feature summary in August 2018, I expected this feature to be available in the September release. However, at least in the feature announcements of this month, it was not yet available which is a bit pity.
        Will it be released in October this year or even later?

• wsb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I happy to see there will be some improvement on that element, it really needs it...
        What I'm also missing is the ability to have more than one element on the row level...

Actually it is only supported :
        rowlevel measure1 measure2 measure3....

I need :
        rowlevel1 rowlevel2 rowlevel3 measure1 measure2 ...

Rowlevel1 could be a Hierarchy like in the demo, but than I would like being able to show other dimensions on the same row...

Actually the Acterys Matrix visual is able to do it, but not in the PBI design... I think it is a feature that belongs in PBI itselfs

• Ralph Kemperdick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide the ability to give users a choice on which columns they want to see a Total or not. Maybe as conditional formatting for a specific column in the Matrix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! This is a very useful tool. I'm looking forward to using it. This was a major impediment to my work with Power BI.

• Sujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+/- Collapse/ Expand is the only road block I saw with my POC project using Power BI

• David Cornwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to hear. Hoping Microsoft run some kind of business apps summit with PowerBI content in Australia soon.

This functionality should be enabled in the matrix table. if it is not there, the data readability in side the table will go off.

i want to create +/- Collapse/ Expand Buttons feature in matrix table but didn't get any solution . Can anyone help me out on this?

@gv, this is for selective drilldown. In PBI you cannot selectively expand/collapse nodes, which is a big problem and really inefficient on larger models.

• gv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this idea still relevant given that there is now this powerful PBI feature to drill down both vertically and horizontally wherever you like in the matrix visual?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.