How can we improve Power BI?

Allow Power Query to Export Data

Allow Power Query results to be written back to a flat file or SQL table.

Relivant forum thread:
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Can-PowerQuery-write-data-back-out/m-p/1747

492 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HensonHenson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PowerBI (and Power Query) is getting very close to Killer App status. This would move it along that pathway significantly. There is limited use in a tool that can take data from almost anywhere, perform almost any transformation and then not externalise the result.

Note that a lot of other suggestions on this site also arguably would be satisfied by taking this on - and so I feel this feature is under-represented in vote count.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft turned the Mashup engine into a data service and allowed people to turn Mashup queries into a data source via API to integrate into other systems, it would change everything.

• BABA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this needs to happen! especially for large datasets (> 1M)

• LeahLeah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please! Working with flat files is so much easier in Power BI than SSIS, but I need to be able to write them back to the database.

• Mimoune DjouallahMimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use dax studio as a workaround, using dax query and export to a text file, i have test it with a 3 Million records and it works very well

As with others, we think PowerBI can be the silver bullet, the BI slayer, if it writes back data to SQL Server.

• Shaun LoughlinShaun Loughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have function for me. Power BI is so close to being my complete data management solution but if I can't get the data back out then it's impossible!

• Dave SchmidtDave Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite need. As others note, there are workarounds but they are really only effective with a small amount of data. Being able to easily export data (especially into a flat file format) is often requested by my users and would be a very welcomed enhancement!!!

• Antoine ChambaAntoine Chamba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would make it way more versatile.

For now you can export it to PPivot, and either:
        - Copy paste it into excel (small volumes, but anything within bare excel limitations with a good enough computer)
        - Use a macro to dump it into a csv. It crashes with large volumes though (> 5-10 Go).

A MUST!!!!! Power BI would be a go to tool for all large enterprise data base management.

• Peter SchmidtPeter Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this with a small amount of VBA and a calculated column that incorporates an INSERT statement. Load the data into an Excel worksheet then iterate down each row executing the INSERT statement. Would be good if you could specify a database and table as a destination though! ;)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.