How can we improve Power BI?

Allow Power Query to Export Data

Allow Power Query results to be written back to a flat file or SQL table.

Relivant forum thread:
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Can-PowerQuery-write-data-back-out/m-p/1747

431 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HensonHenson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BABA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this needs to happen! especially for large datasets (> 1M)

• LeahLeah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please! Working with flat files is so much easier in Power BI than SSIS, but I need to be able to write them back to the database.

• Mimoune DjouallahMimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use dax studio as a workaround, using dax query and export to a text file, i have test it with a 3 Million records and it works very well

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with others, we think PowerBI can be the silver bullet, the BI slayer, if it writes back data to SQL Server.

• Shaun LoughlinShaun Loughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have function for me. Power BI is so close to being my complete data management solution but if I can't get the data back out then it's impossible!

• Dave SchmidtDave Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite need. As others note, there are workarounds but they are really only effective with a small amount of data. Being able to easily export data (especially into a flat file format) is often requested by my users and would be a very welcomed enhancement!!!

• Antoine ChambaAntoine Chamba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would make it way more versatile.

For now you can export it to PPivot, and either:
        - Copy paste it into excel (small volumes, but anything within bare excel limitations with a good enough computer)
        - Use a macro to dump it into a csv. It crashes with large volumes though (> 5-10 Go).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A MUST!!!!! Power BI would be a go to tool for all large enterprise data base management.

• Peter SchmidtPeter Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this with a small amount of VBA and a calculated column that incorporates an INSERT statement. Load the data into an Excel worksheet then iterate down each row executing the INSERT statement. Would be good if you could specify a database and table as a destination though! ;)

• Imke FeldmannImke Feldmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to avoid constant queries to the underlying datasources (like ERP-systems) for performance reasons, it would be great if one could save the results of the basic-cleanup steps in a csv-file which would then serve as the basis for all monthly reports. (“Lightweight DWH” without server…, single point of truth…)

• Shannon HolckShannon Holck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the first things I wanted to be able to do. I imported data from the web, but it is dirty. I want to map the values to human readable ones and then reimport it, but I can't export the data directly from Power BI Desktop.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.